McLaren F1 successor

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Just_a_fan

Re: McLaren F1 successor

Tim.Wright wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 09:33
Just_a_fan wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 01:25
In fairness, Murray hasn't said it will give 3g cornering - you came up with that figure. He has just stated mass, power and a maximum downforce figure.
Don't people do physics in this forum anymore?
Only in memes. :lol:
Acceleration = µ(9.81xMass + Downforce)/Mass/9.81

If it's not cornering well over 2G, we know the declared value in red is fantasy. If you plug in the claimed 1500 kgf of downforce, you get 3G.
As you say, we'll have to wait and see.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Cold Fussion

Andres125sx

Just_a_fan wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 20:15
Andres125sx wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 13:57
Just the weight will make a good difference with any other hypercar, add to that the active aero maximizing DF or reducing drag at will and I´m eager to see the result in the laptimes :D

edit: not first car with active aero, but the different approach with a fan instead of moving flaps will be interesting to be compared
On the track car, the fan is set to just give maximum downforce at all times. No drag reduction setting. Once the car gets to 50mph, the fan is switched on and goes flat out.
A bit dissapointing. I´d say that means the effect is not dramatic at all if they didn´t configure the fan to take advantage of the drag reduction in the straights. I was assuming they´d use some sort of DRS button to reduce drag at will

Just_a_fan

Andres125sx wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 13:37
Just_a_fan wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 20:15
Andres125sx wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 13:57
Just the weight will make a good difference with any other hypercar, add to that the active aero maximizing DF or reducing drag at will and I´m eager to see the result in the laptimes :D

edit: not first car with active aero, but the different approach with a fan instead of moving flaps will be interesting to be compared
On the track car, the fan is set to just give maximum downforce at all times. No drag reduction setting. Once the car gets to 50mph, the fan is switched on and goes flat out.
A bit dissapointing. I´d say that means the effect is not dramatic at all if they didn´t configure the fan to take advantage of the drag reduction in the straights. I was assuming they´d use some sort of DRS button to reduce drag at will
It's a track day fun car, not a racing car. I could see someone using drag reduction and getting caught out at the end of a straight. Better, for the rich boys that will buy it, to make it foolproof in operation.

ironben88

Peak downforce is 3300 pounds, with GMA reckoning that the car is generating more than its own weight—and therefore theoretically capable of traveling upside down—at 175 mph. "In a 150-mph corner, the T.50S will pull around 2.5 g's of lateral acceleration, and 3.5 g under braking," Murray promises.

Both variants of this car are just amazing. I think its something that really appeals to a true petrol head.

Jolle

With those amount of G’s, it will be impossible to get anywhere near the cars performance on public roads. Even an emergency brake is dangerous with oncoming traffic (if it doesn’t give you a whiplash before the BMW behind you rear ends you)

Just_a_fan

The road car won't get near that level of performance, just the track car.

trinidefender

ironben88 wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 18:35
Peak downforce is 3300 pounds, with GMA reckoning that the car is generating more than its own weight—and therefore theoretically capable of traveling upside down—at 175 mph. "In a 150-mph corner, the T.50S will pull around 2.5 g's of lateral acceleration, and 3.5 g under braking," Murray promises.

Both variants of this car are just amazing. I think its something that really appeals to a true petrol head.
Source?

ironben88

trinidefender wrote:
28 Feb 2021, 00:43
ironben88 wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 18:35

Source?
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3557 ... -revealed/

Cold Fussion

Jolle wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 22:12
With those amount of G’s, it will be impossible to get anywhere near the cars performance on public roads. Even an emergency brake is dangerous with oncoming traffic (if it doesn’t give you a whiplash before the BMW behind you rear ends you)
It isn't road legal.

Andres125sx

There´s no road legal tires wich can handle that Gs, wich is the limit of all current hypercars wich try to break some record or be the fastest. Valkirie was also limited by the tires.

Cold Fussion

If you're building a high downforce track only car, I don't know why you would use anything other than a slick tyre. Even something like a Cup2r would probably be destroyed after a couple of laps on a track like Silverstone.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Herr_Koos

YEEEEES!!! What a machine!

I had my doubts about the looks of the mock-up, but this is simply stunning with the all-black finish. The McLaren F1 heritage is very obvious. I'm in looooooove!

Just_a_fan

Seeing it in motion in the video, the first thing that came to my mind was - it looks like a refreshed F1. The stance, the side profile, it's obvious that the same mind dreamt up both cars..