Livery thread again!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Scorpaguy

Re: Livery thread again!

ispano6 wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 09:55
Launch livery maybe?

https://drivetribe.imgix.net/MkyKW1uMRb ... crop=faces
I guess not. It seems thus far all the teams are using Mr. Ditto for their liveries. Major yawn on the RB16B. However, maybe these liveries are about as representative of the what we will actually see come race day as is some of the aero kit we see before and after Catalonia.

adrianjordan

It amazes me sometimes how people forget about brand identity and that keeping a stable livery helps with that.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

JordanMugen

adrianjordan wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 09:37
It amazes me sometimes how people forget about brand identity and that keeping a stable livery helps with that.
I prefer that the liveries don't change in F1. In series where the liveries change every season, it's hard to identify one season's livery from another. Is that the 2015 Red Bull Commodore, is that the 2017? What season was this one again? Or this one? I dunno. #-o

Manoah2u

It depends on the actual livery. Offcourse main issue is change of sponsors or title sponsors. this makes a huge difference. If however things stay stable, then there remains a not insignificant factor imho to whether 'i' like a livery to stay the same or not: whether it's a good one.

there have been fantastic liveries and horrendeous liveries.

some classics that imho are fantastic were:

Yellow Camel Lotus F1, JPS black and gold Lotus F1, the Classic Rothmans Williams Livery, The Mclaren Vodafone livery, the Mclaren West Livery, the Mclaren Marlboro livery,
Martini Liveries, etc. and we can go on and on really.

Either way, they were recognisable.

I think what we're dealing with nowadays is that the liveries are a bit too obnoxious, crowded and forced, but i do believe that the cars itself also play a role.
The cars of today are very crowded in their designs too, especially around the wings and bargeboards. This makes it hard or nearly impossible to create a flowing livery design.

And since everybody needs to 'stand out', they make it as screaming as possible, including helmets that need to echo the sponsors too.

For example, we -supposedly- have a white and blue williams, a white and blue alpha tauri, and a white,blue and red Alpine. How are you going to make sure your car is recognisable?
then we also have RedBull in there with blue, but with more yellow, which makes it atleast recognisable.

Personally, the last time i really enjoyed a field of open wheeler cars that all had recognisable, working liveries, is the good old A1GP series.
The interesting thing there was the liveries were not held back by wishes of sponsors of any kind. They were there to express their countries,
and they could remain basic, unconvoluted.

This is why imho the best liveries are the simple ones.

Blue tyrrells, Blue Prost GP, blue ligiers. Recognisable, yet good to look at.
Full Yellow Lotus, Yellow /black Jordans, Yellow/White/Black Renaults.
Black-Gold JPS Lotus, Black-Gold Genii Lotus.
Green/Yellow Lotus.
Red Ferrari's.
White/Red Mclaren.
Silver/Black or Silver/Red Mclaren.

The Mercedeses nowadays are also isntantly recognisable due to their stable Silver. The petronas shade always has been ungly, back in the Sauber days even.
Mercedes suddenly being black for 2020 surely will have had an impact. Still, it was simple, not convoluted.

There's only one livery to me, that tops the sheets, and it's the Yellow Camel Lotus one, i'd love to see that back on the grid.
Not mixed with black or other colours, just that great yellow colour, and dark blue or perhaps black lettering from all the sponsors.

I don't think we'll be having a yellow F1 car for years to come unfortunately. It's one of the best colours for race cars.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

adrianjordan

Manoah2u wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 13:47
It depends on the actual livery. Offcourse main issue is change of sponsors or title sponsors. this makes a huge difference. If however things stay stable, then there remains a not insignificant factor imho to whether 'i' like a livery to stay the same or not: whether it's a good one.

there have been fantastic liveries and horrendeous liveries.

some classics that imho are fantastic were:

Yellow Camel Lotus F1, JPS black and gold Lotus F1, the Classic Rothmans Williams Livery, The Mclaren Vodafone livery, the Mclaren West Livery, the Mclaren Marlboro livery,
Martini Liveries, etc. and we can go on and on really.

Either way, they were recognisable.

I think what we're dealing with nowadays is that the liveries are a bit too obnoxious, crowded and forced, but i do believe that the cars itself also play a role.
The cars of today are very crowded in their designs too, especially around the wings and bargeboards. This makes it hard or nearly impossible to create a flowing livery design.

And since everybody needs to 'stand out', they make it as screaming as possible, including helmets that need to echo the sponsors too.

For example, we -supposedly- have a white and blue williams, a white and blue alpha tauri, and a white,blue and red Alpine. How are you going to make sure your car is recognisable?
then we also have RedBull in there with blue, but with more yellow, which makes it atleast recognisable.

Personally, the last time i really enjoyed a field of open wheeler cars that all had recognisable, working liveries, is the good old A1GP series.
The interesting thing there was the liveries were not held back by wishes of sponsors of any kind. They were there to express their countries,
and they could remain basic, unconvoluted.

This is why imho the best liveries are the simple ones.

Blue tyrrells, Blue Prost GP, blue ligiers. Recognisable, yet good to look at.
Full Yellow Lotus, Yellow /black Jordans, Yellow/White/Black Renaults.
Black-Gold JPS Lotus, Black-Gold Genii Lotus.
Green/Yellow Lotus.
Red Ferrari's.
White/Red Mclaren.
Silver/Black or Silver/Red Mclaren.

The Mercedeses nowadays are also isntantly recognisable due to their stable Silver. The petronas shade always has been ungly, back in the Sauber days even.
Mercedes suddenly being black for 2020 surely will have had an impact. Still, it was simple, not convoluted.

There's only one livery to me, that tops the sheets, and it's the Yellow Camel Lotus one, i'd love to see that back on the grid.
Not mixed with black or other colours, just that great yellow colour, and dark blue or perhaps black lettering from all the sponsors.

I don't think we'll be having a yellow F1 car for years to come unfortunately. It's one of the best colours for race cars.
Absolutely agree. I'd add the Jaguar liveries and the 2019 McLaren to those fantastic ones.

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Scorpaguy

W12...this is how you do black! However, while it photographs well in a controlled setting, I fear it may "disappear" when on track.

El Scorchio

W12- The red which has changed colour from last season is horrible. It really doesn't go with the black and, turquoise and the less said about the horrible grey engine cover the better. It looks unfinished, like they ran out of paint trying to cover up a bad job.

It would have been amazing in just black and turquoise, with hints of that really dark red from last season.

senja

The worse thing on that car is black. But anyways, it looks much better than last year, with clean colors. Except of AMG, AMG, AMG, AMG, AMG, AMG, AMG, AMG, AMG, AMG part...

Manoah2u

#-o #-o #-o #-o this is NOT the 2021 Mercedes AMG team thread to discuss the livery of the W12 :?
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

hollus

This is the general chat subforum, Manoah2u. No tight rules as far as I am concerned.
Rivals, not enemies.

adrianjordan

Manoah2u wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 21:28
#-o #-o #-o #-o this is NOT the 2021 Mercedes AMG team thread to discuss the livery of the W12 :?
To be fair, the 2021 Mercedes AMG Team thread has mostly been discussing 2013 for the last few days anyway 🤷🏻‍♂️

Manoah2u

adrianjordan wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 01:20
Manoah2u wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 21:28
To be fair, the 2021 Mercedes AMG Team thread has mostly been discussing 2013 for the last few days anyway 🤷🏻‍♂️
:lol: :lol: :lol: that's funny though :lol: :lol: :lol:

Morteza

Not F1, but this is so cool :lol:
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

cplchanb

Morteza wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 15:25
Not F1, but this is so cool :lol:
https://twitter.com/GTWorldChEu/status/ ... 93089?s=19
well if we somehow get panthera on the grid they can do something like this but with panthers instead lol :lol:

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare