New race weekend format 2021

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Morteza

Re: New race weekend format 2021

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Ringleheim
Ringleheim

So we lose 1 hour of free practice time overall. That's too bad.

I enjoy watching the FP sessions the most, because there isn't a lot going on track and the conversation is usually very good. It's basically a 1.5 hour long F1 news/information show, which I always enjoy.

Now we lose 1 hour of that air time, in exchange for nothing.

So for a grand chelem/slam is the qualifying race included?

What about pole position records? If a driver wins pole for the sprint race but doesn't win the sprint race they don't technically start from pole or do they? I know in the past if a driver has a penalty and wins pole they don't get credited as winning pole.

They should have made qualifying set both races.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

So get the sprint race pole via Friday's session and then get Sunday's pole from the sprint race. Does that mean a driver can get two poles per event? And presumably also two wins. The win and pole records won't last long at that rate. :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Juzh

Ringleheim wrote:
28 Feb 2021, 19:30

I enjoy watching the FP sessions the most, because there isn't a lot going on track and the conversation is usually very good. It's basically a 1.5 hour long F1 news/information show, which I always enjoy.

You get qualifying instead of practice, which I think is a much better thing. This means less boring sections in FP1, where usually in first 40 minutes there were just a few cars on track. Now everyone will have to get their stuff together rather quickly if they want to prepare for quali. It's only for 3 events anyway, so if it doesn't work out it's no biggy. That said unless it really is a monumental disaster I believe this format is here to stay.

Morteza

No more champagne, but Ferrari on podium at every race :D

Last edited by Morteza on 02 Mar 2021, 12:24, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

bosyber
bosyber

Juzh wrote:
01 Mar 2021, 20:38
Ringleheim wrote:
28 Feb 2021, 19:30

You get qualifying instead of practice, which I think is a much better thing. This means less boring sections in FP1, where usually in first 40 minutes there were just a few cars on track. Now everyone will have to get their stuff together rather quickly if they want to prepare for quali. It's only for 3 events anyway, so if it doesn't work out it's no biggy. That said unless it really is a monumental disaster I believe this format is here to stay.
Well, only if you can actually watch that Friday quali (live). Otherwise, you lose the first quali, so it completely depends on how good the sprint race works out as to whether you miss something good or not.

Also, I really like at the race how the Friday allows me to look at the cars while walking the track, and discover where they show me the best view of what the drivers are doing - also helps when there's enough time to actually get around the track and do that before quali (even if followed by a sprint next day), when you don't want to miss the action so want to stick to that good spot you found. Of course, for this year that's not really a big issue, but for the future, it should be.

basti313
basti313

bosyber wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 12:20

Well, only if you can actually watch that Friday quali (live).
Absolutely. Usually Saturday works well if it is not best weather in the summer and you do not want to sit in front of the screen. But Friday afternoon? No way to watch anything live, in the best case I am working, in the worst case sitting in a plane.
Also for business travel to races...no idea what they expect, but I can convince my boss that I need to stay over a weekend. But certainly not about an expensive trip over a weekend with not even working on Friday afternoon.
Don`t russel the hamster!

El Scorchio

So, qualifying on friday (which loads of people will probably now not be able to watch) decides the sprint race grid, and the results of the sprint race decide the sunday grid.

Assuming no ill fortune for anyone on friday or saturday, at best won't this just increase points gaps between the teams and drivers relative to what they are now? If people aren't sick of it now, does anyone want an extra few races with the same results- all i see is more opportunity for the Mercs to have a more comfortable points gap over everyone else- and Red Bull over third etc.

At worst, how harsh is the punishment going to be for getting damage in qualifying or the race now? Presumably if you break down in the sprint race you have to start from the back in the main race. That's now like a double penalty which will cost points on two occasions rather than just one. Same as if you break down in qualifying. You'll be at the back for the sprint and at the very least heavily compromised for the main race as well.

Not even considering the opportunities in sprint races for tactical 'incidental contact' between cars which could have huge ramifications in title battles. i wonder if it'll just mean everyone tiptoes round in a procession on saturday just to finish, in order to not screw up their chances on a sunday. No one is going to go for a risky overtake.

It seems the only real winners are the promoters, who can massively hike up their prices for Friday and Saturday, and the TV companies who can make more money out of Friday now. I don't understand what the gain is meant to be from a sporting or competitive aspect at all.

Big Tea

El Scorchio wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 17:26
So, qualifying on friday (which loads of people will probably now not be able to watch) decides the sprint race grid, and the results of the sprint race decide the sunday grid.

Assuming no ill fortune for anyone on friday or saturday, at best won't this just increase points gaps between the teams and drivers relative to what they are now? If people aren't sick of it now, does anyone want an extra few races with the same results- all i see is more opportunity for the Mercs to have a more comfortable points gap over everyone else- and Red Bull over third etc.

At worst, how harsh is the punishment going to be for getting damage in qualifying or the race now? Presumably if you break down in the sprint race you have to start from the back in the main race. That's now like a double penalty which will cost points on two occasions rather than just one. Same as if you break down in qualifying. You'll be at the back for the sprint and at the very least heavily compromised for the main race as well.

Not even considering the opportunities in sprint races for tactical 'incidental contact' between cars which could have huge ramifications in title battles. i wonder if it'll just mean everyone tiptoes round in a procession on saturday just to finish, in order to not screw up their chances on a sunday. No one is going to go for a risky overtake.

It seems the only real winners are the promoters, who can massively hike up their prices for Friday and Saturday, and the TV companies who can make more money out of Friday now. I don't understand what the gain is meant to be from a sporting or competitive aspect at all.
Hmm, extra work for wingmen?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

El Scorchio

Big Tea wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 17:50
El Scorchio wrote:

That’s probably about the extent of it! I’m not missing something big here, am I?

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Morteza wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 12:16
No more champagne, but Ferrari on podium at every race :D
https://twitter.com/adamcooperF1/status ... 8764976134

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Evd55FbXMAM ... =4096x4096
Well that's probably the only genuine Ferrari that i can genuinly afford that's not a model car or 'team merchandise'.

If it tastes like a million dollars, i guess those 15 bucks will be worth it though :mrgreen:
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

basti313
basti313

Big Tea wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 17:50
El Scorchio wrote:

I do not think this is or will be core of any issues. Of course a DNF in the sprint will affect more than the sprint, but on the other hand you have the chance to regain positions in the race.
The devil lies more in the detail:
- How do they handle tires? Usually the fastest car has the best tire usage. So there they need to turn a bit the usual handling to not emphasize this benefit. I would actually start the race on the first stint tire set in the top 5. This would lead to the early stops that compromise the strategies. Furthermore with the top10 on the Q2 tire you have some split and mix there as well and the top10 is actually too much. A top5 rule in the race together with the top10 in the sprint would mix.
- How do they assign points? Is the sum of a weekend with a sprint more than on a usual weekend?
Don`t russel the hamster!

Shrieker

Pls don't change the quali/race format and rape F1. Stupid a-holes :evil:
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Morteza