Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

This sounds like a letter needs to be written to Renault.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PABLOEING

¿some news about how many HP in the new 2021 Renault engine?

Blackout

Over 9000.

GhostF1

PABLOEING wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 12:05
With the sheer frequency Abiteboul and Taffin threw nonsense figures around, it's probably a safe bet to assume that PU is touching 2000hp now ...

Blackout

GhostF1 wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 01:10
PABLOEING wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 12:05
With the sheer frequency Abiteboul and Taffin threw nonsense figures around, it's probably a safe bet to assume that PU is touching 2000hp now ...
The last time Abiteboul talked about big gains was 2019, and the gains were big and 100% real. And he wasnt the first one to talk about them, many other sources, more credible/unbiased/objective sources announced those gains long before Abiteboul did.
Taffin also became more reserved since 2-3 seasons. He's keeping low profile and is delivering.

Wouter

Advantage for Honda and Ferrari: Renault engine not upgraded in 2021

Whereas Ferrari and Honda will start the season with a considerably improved power unit, Alpine will not. The Renault engine will only get a major upgrade in 2022, when the new rules for Formula 1 will be introduced.
Why was this decision made? "We had to make the decision last year, during the lockdown, and once you have made the decision, you cannot deviate from it," says engine chief Remi Taffin.

Does Alpine have regrets?

But secretly, Alpine does have some regrets about its decision. Taffin: "I recognise that we could have made it, I would have preferred to have the 2022 engine in 2021."
During the season there will be some tweaking of the power source. This will allow reliability to increase and some extra horsepower is also possible. However, this will not be to the same extent as Ferrari and Honda.
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/79222/ad ... -2021.html
The Power of Dreams!

Jejking

Wouter wrote:
06 Mar 2021, 16:11

Whereas Ferrari and Honda will start the season with a considerably improved power unit, Alpine will not. The Renault engine will only get a major upgrade in 2022, when the new rules for Formula 1 will be introduced.
Why was this decision made? "We had to make the decision last year, during the lockdown, and once you have made the decision, you cannot deviate from it," says engine chief Remi Taffin.

But secretly, Alpine does have some regrets about its decision. Taffin: "I recognise that we could have made it, I would have preferred to have the 2022 engine in 2021."
During the season there will be some tweaking of the power source. This will allow reliability to increase and some extra horsepower is also possible. However, this will not be to the same extent as Ferrari and Honda.
Please give credit to the original author, not to copypaste websites. It helps AS a lot if scavengers didn't get the clicks for lazily stealing quotes.

Wouter

Jejking wrote:
07 Mar 2021, 21:19
Wouter wrote:
06 Mar 2021, 16:11

Please give credit to the original author, not to copypaste websites. It helps AS a lot if scavengers didn't get the clicks for lazily stealing quotes.

I have to give credit to the original author and not copypaste websites??
The article displays the original website.

"It's a matter of principle, you never tell anything," Fry told AS. For the Spanish newspaper, the 56-year-old engineer does not want to go into details.
Excuse me, but I couldn't find the original message. I don't speak the Spanish language and everyone here knows the English language.
What do you think I did wrong?

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/79222/ad ... -2021.html
The Power of Dreams!

Jejking

https://as.com/motor/2021/03/03/formula ... 58239.html

Tadaaa. My applause is usually reserved for original interviews and authors :wink: The rest of the article, albeith not entirely related to this subforum, is also moderately interesting.

PowerandtheGlory

So are we saying that the new CCS cooling arrangement gives the engine a bit more performance, or purely an aero gain?
Taffin said this engine was an evolution..
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

trinidefender

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 15:02
So are we saying that the new CCS cooling arrangement gives the engine a bit more performance, or purely an aero gain?
Aero. The PU doesn't care how it is cooled, it just needs to be within operating parameters

PowerandtheGlory

trinidefender wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 21:00
PowerandtheGlory wrote:
Aero. The PU doesn't care how it is cooled, it just needs to be within operating parameters
Sure, but inlet charge could be cooler denser and more powerful if cooling was more efficient? So let’s hope that the new configuration gives a benefit here too..?
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

trinidefender

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 21:37
trinidefender wrote:
PowerandtheGlory wrote:
Sure, but inlet charge could be cooler denser and more powerful if cooling was more efficient? So let’s hope that the new configuration gives a benefit here too..?
There is a limit that intake air cannot be lower than, I believe, 10 degrees Celsius above ambient. Therefore if they discover in testing that they are overcooling the charge intake air then that will give them an opportunity to slim down the coolers before the first race. This would have an aero benefit.

That's if the cooling is more efficient though.

GhostF1

Jejking wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 12:30
https://as.com/motor/2021/03/03/formula ... 58239.html

Tadaaa. My applause is usually reserved for original interviews and authors :wink: The rest of the article, albeith not entirely related to this subforum, is also moderately interesting.
This sounds as though this is a really old article fluffed up to be current. The article is still saying the engine freeze is from 2023 when it is now 2022 and Taffin wouldn't be talking about "studying the Merc/Honda turbo concept" and that "it is a route we could possibly go down", they would be well and truly into development by now. In fact there is a photo of Alonso visiting Renault and it looks like a split turbo engine is on the dyno! Talk about a photo slip up! (Thanks to Blackout for the photo!)

Last edited by GhostF1 on 10 Mar 2021, 14:11, edited 1 time in total.

PowerandtheGlory

trinidefender wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 23:49
PowerandtheGlory wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 21:37
trinidefender wrote:

There is a limit that intake air cannot be lower than, I believe, 10 degrees Celsius above ambient. Therefore if they discover in testing that they are overcooling the charge intake air then that will give them an opportunity to slim down the coolers before the first race. This would have an aero benefit.

That's if the cooling is more efficient though.
Thank you for the reply- Is that a regulation? The 10 degrees ambient? Air continues to get denser as it gets colder? How is that regulated across the different races and locations and times of day of sessions. I’m sure that on a cooler day the engines make more power- the same as when they make less power in Mexico/Brazil due to altitude. If one cooling method is more efficient then it could give a benefit, especially under restart procedures of the cars have been behind safety car etc. In Monzo last year- the cars following were moving out of the wake of other cars to get clean air to cool on the straights. With a turbo engine- cooling is King, both for inlet temperature, head soak from the engine and other components that leech power from the engine to be cooled.
I’m hoping that this cooling setup works with the Renault upgrades to the PU.. fingers crossed