2021 Pre-season testing. Bahrain 12-14 March

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
101FlyingDutchman

Re: Pre season testing.

There are a few streaming portals if you haven’t got sky Tv in the uk 🇬🇧

dans79

An interesting video about what testing is going to be like!

197 104 103 7

Vasconia

With such a short test, do you think that the teams will show more potential than usual or less? we may see more surprises than usual with this configuration.

Just_a_fan

Vasconia wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 12:32
With such a short test, do you think that the teams will show more potential than usual or less? we may see more surprises than usual with this configuration.
The main thing is to ensure the PU installation is reliable and hasn't been adversely affected by the revisions made to the cooling system in favour of aero gains. That and to ensure the aero package figures meet those obtained from CFD and wind tunnel tests. Anything after that is a bonus and the teams are unlikely to spend too much time deliberately setting headline lap times - although the back markers might if they think it will garner exposure and thus possibilities of sponsorships. But the likes of Mercedes, RedBull, Ferrari and McLaren will just run their test cycles and, if they happen to show a good turn of pace whilst doing so then that will be a happy accident. More likely, they'll play with sector times to try to build a picture of their own performance without giving anything away.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

MtthsMlw

I can see AM doing some glory runs

GoranF1

My prediction for testing...
Mercedes and RB on very similar pace,, whit Mercedes having small reliability problems.
Aston Martin clear 3rd
Ferrari in front of midfield
Mclaren, Alpha Tauri and Alpine midfield
Williams and Sauber same pace
Haas dead last.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

senja

MtthsMlw wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 15:31
I can see AM doing some glory runs
For what? They are full of sponsors...

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Vasconia

Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 15:15
Vasconia wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 12:32
The main thing is to ensure the PU installation is reliable and hasn't been adversely affected by the revisions made to the cooling system in favour of aero gains. That and to ensure the aero package figures meet those obtained from CFD and wind tunnel tests. Anything after that is a bonus and the teams are unlikely to spend too much time deliberately setting headline lap times - although the back markers might if they think it will garner exposure and thus possibilities of sponsorships. But the likes of Mercedes, RedBull, Ferrari and McLaren will just run their test cycles and, if they happen to show a good turn of pace whilst doing so then that will be a happy accident. More likely, they'll play with sector times to try to build a picture of their own performance without giving anything away.
I agree, though hopefully they could do some "fast" laps on Sunday´s second half. [-o< [-o<

SiLo

I don't think there will be too much pace hiding, new regulations around the corner so they won't be worried about people seeing how far ahead or behind a team is.
Felipe Baby!

Zynerji

SiLo wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 16:27
I don't think there will be too much pace hiding, new regulations around the corner so they won't be worried about people seeing how far ahead or behind a team is.
I agree. With so little time, and only a week to race 1, they will be head-deep into their own programs. I'm sure some quali-sims will eventually happen in the evenings, as they race there so soon, so maybe we will see some cars at least turned up to 9.

SiLo

Any reliability issues are going to really hurt the teams as well with so little running. They might even run the cars turned down a bit to make sure they hit their mileage and just analyse the parts when they get back to the factory.
Felipe Baby!

etusch

I think they've made double double check everything and made plans as many as Ferrari do (from A to z) for a single race to not to lose track time .

NathanOlder

Zynerji wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 16:31
SiLo wrote:
I agree. With so little time, and only a week to race 1, they will be head-deep into their own programs. I'm sure some quali-sims will eventually happen in the evenings, as they race there so soon, so maybe we will see some cars at least turned up to 9.
Its 2 weeks to race 1 isn't it?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Zynerji

NathanOlder wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 00:41
Zynerji wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 16:31
SiLo wrote:
Its 2 weeks to race 1 isn't it?
Yeah. I was thinking the race was the following week, and the teams were just going to stick around...