Will Covid 19 impact 2022 season?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
adrianjordan

Re: Will Covid 19 impact 2021 season?

Just_a_fan wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 13:38
nzjrs wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 13:11
Tommy Cookers wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 12:24
As I've said several times - now that vaccination is very well underway, we need to move to a better measure than 'infection rates'.
Exactly. Infection rates are much less important than hospitalisation rates. If everyone catches it but no one needs medical intervention then the infections don't matter.

Having said that, there is a small subset that might have long term issues with reduced lung capacity, but those won't be known about if they don't require medical intervention. Of course, that intervention might not be required for many years after the infection itself, but that can't be second guessed now.
Infection rates may still matter if we end up with lots of people off work with it (I can see it being like Noro Virus in that you have to stay off work if you have it).

But yeah, hospitalisation rates are what matter now, even more so than fatality rates, and that is what the UK government is putting the emphasis on with the easing of things.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Just_a_fan

adrianjordan wrote:
07 Mar 2021, 23:51
Just_a_fan wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 15:05
henry wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 14:19

It’s not only a respiratory disease it’s muIti-organ. In particular fatigue appears to be a longer term issue for some people. We can’t know long term yet. The effects seem to have some similarities to the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome group of maladies. In this respect it is more impactful than Flu. These longer term symptoms seem to be more prevalent in younger people starting in their 20s through middle age. I think we will need to be on our guard against this virus for a long time, maybe forever.

The ONS have started tracking Long Covid but have only published results for people suffering up to 12 weeks so far.
Indeed, but so far as Governments keeping their populations locked down (and F1 circuits empty of spectators), long covid won't be a factor. As soon as the health systems of a country can manage the hospitalisation numbers on top of the rest of their usual patients, Governments will move to open up and circuits will be allowed to have spectators. That's the point where Covid will stop to impact the season - the central issue of this thread. Long covid is unfortunate but likely to be very far behind the likes of obesity (and its associated illnesses such as diabetes) in terms of its impact on the health system.
I think that, at some point, Long Covid will get grouped in with all the other conditions under the COPD umbrella term.
No doubt it will.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan

adrianjordan wrote:
07 Mar 2021, 23:53
Infection rates may still matter if we end up with lots of people off work with it (I can see it being like Noro Virus in that you have to stay off work if you have it).

But yeah, hospitalisation rates are what matter now, even more so than fatality rates, and that is what the UK government is putting the emphasis on with the easing of things.
Is that any different to any other illness that "does the rounds" of the population? Seasonal 'flu is the same and we don't lose too much sleep over a few people having a few days off for that.

Must say that one of the things that boils my blood is people coming to work when they're unwell. They're wasting their own time because they'll be useless, they're risking making their colleagues ill, and they mess up the employer by being useless themselves whilst ill but also making others ill and thus also useless. If you turn up in the office don't expect any sympathy from me. I'm more likely to tell you to stop being so selfish and f*** off back home where you belong.

If you're feeling unwell, stay at home! :evil:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Big Tea

adrianjordan wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
henry wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 14:19

It’s not only a respiratory disease it’s muIti-organ. In particular fatigue appears to be a longer term issue for some people. We can’t know long term yet. The effects seem to have some similarities to the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome group of maladies. In this respect it is more impactful than Flu. These longer term symptoms seem to be more prevalent in younger people starting in their 20s through middle age. I think we will need to be on our guard against this virus for a long time, maybe forever.

The ONS have started tracking Long Covid but have only published results for people suffering up to 12 weeks so far.
Indeed, but so far as Governments keeping their populations locked down (and F1 circuits empty of spectators), long covid won't be a factor. As soon as the health systems of a country can manage the hospitalisation numbers on top of the rest of their usual patients, Governments will move to open up and circuits will be allowed to have spectators. That's the point where Covid will stop to impact the season - the central issue of this thread. Long covid is unfortunate but likely to be very far behind the likes of obesity (and its associated illnesses such as diabetes) in terms of its impact on the health system.
I think that, at some point, Long Covid will get grouped in with all the other conditions under the COPD umbrella term.
Some interesting studies on Ivermectin if you looking for some reading.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

adrianjordan

Big Tea wrote:
08 Mar 2021, 18:25
adrianjordan wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

Thanks, but between working full time and a post grad course I'm doing, I'm all set for reading materials for the foreseeable future.

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Big Tea

adrianjordan wrote:
08 Mar 2021, 23:39
Big Tea wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:

Thanks, but between working full time and a post grad course I'm doing, I'm all set for reading materials for the foreseeable future.
Yeh, post grad and working the last thing you want is something else instead of sleeping :D
Mind you got it easier with the pubs closed :twisted:

adrianjordan

Big Tea wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 00:01
adrianjordan wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

Yeh, post grad and working the last thing you want is something else instead of sleeping :D
Oh god no. My hobby, read outlet for stress reduction, is playing in a band. Can't wait for gigs to restart!!

(Have a solo acoustic gig booked for 22nd June....so have a vested interest in everything opening up on schedule in the UK!!)

Jolle

adrianjordan wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 09:16
Big Tea wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:

Oh god no. My hobby, read outlet for stress reduction, is playing in a band. Can't wait for gigs to restart!!

(Have a solo acoustic gig booked for 22nd June....so have a vested interest in everything opening up on schedule in the UK!!)
Your hobby is a job for me, just got all kinds of “this day last year” memories on social media last weekend from the last live shows. Luckily one of the bands I work with are very creative and we still got about ten shows in during the lockdown (like playing from the back of a van under people’s balconies).

Let’s hope we’ll kick this R count down so much we can have proper stages again

Big Tea

Jolle wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 12:43
adrianjordan wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

Your hobby is a job for me, just got all kinds of “this day last year” memories on social media last weekend from the last live shows. Luckily one of the bands I work with are very creative and we still got about ten shows in during the lockdown (like playing from the back of a van under people’s balconies).

As strange as it sounds, the week I was completing my first BA I was part of a group who had a record in the UK top 5.
Don't ask, cos I will not tell who, but it was 'interesting'. Two of the gang went on to be famous, but I had to go back to work :evil:

Jolle

Big Tea wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 16:41
Jolle wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:

As strange as it sounds, the week I was completing my first BA I was part of a group who had a record in the UK top 5.
Don't ask, cos I will not tell who, but it was 'interesting'. Two of the gang went on to be famous, but I had to go back to work :evil:
😂😂 yeah... there could be books written about those kinds of memories and what if's.

adrianjordan

Big Tea wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 16:41
Jolle wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:

Tell me about it. I was in a band with an arrogant so and so who thought he was going to be the next big thing. He wasn't. But what he did do a year after I left the band was win a battle of the bands competition and get to perform in a support slot for BonJovi.... 🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️😂

IanMcNaughton

I'm excited to see the logistics of how everything and everyone gets shipped/moved around this season. The F1 put a video on their YouTube channel about the effort that they and DHL put forth last season and I wonder how much of that will be applied in 2021. Can't wait to see how it all comes together, especially with more circuits and countries scheduled so far.

Link in case you haven't seen the video:

El Scorchio

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere else, but apologies if it has been. This seemed a sensible thread to post it on.
The postponement of the Australian GP has allowed them to make some changes to the Albert park track with the hope of making for a better race.

BBC article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/56604356

Jaeger

El Scorchio

They are planning for a full crowd at the British Grand Prix this July.

Fingers crossed.

\:D/