Ferrari SF21

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
LM10

Re: Ferrari SF21

I was not expecting to see such big changes. Looks like they put quite of an effort into that car. The bodywork in the sidepod area is the most striking change on these pictures. And it looks refreshingly nice.
Also, the nose is interesting. Similar to that of Alfa Romeo.

TechF1

Blackout

ferkan wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 14:52
Blackout wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 14:41
It's weird to see Ferrari, the inventor of this type of sidepod intakes in 2017, 'abandoning' their typical design to copy that of other teams....
The sidepod bodywork is completely different too and it adopts the redbulian style.
Complete break with what they've been doing since... phew
How did they abandoned it? Its still same design philosophy, high sidepod intakes were major innovation that everyone followed, not exactly design of sidepods downwards to the rest of the car.
Same philosophy but not he same typical Ferrari Inlet design.

LM10

Blackout wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 15:13
ferkan wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 14:52
Blackout wrote:
It's weird to see Ferrari, the inventor of this type of sidepod intakes in 2017, 'abandoning' their typical design to copy that of other teams....
The sidepod bodywork is completely different too and it adopts the redbulian style.
How did they abandoned it? Its still same design philosophy, high sidepod intakes were major innovation that everyone followed, not exactly design of sidepods downwards to the rest of the car.
Same philosophy but not he same typical Ferrari Inlet design.
That was the case with last year’s car already. It had the RBR type inlet design.

Schifty

The body work i like it, but really Ferrari ? seeing the choice to put Mission Winnow in flashy green on matte red and cartoon paint number ??? Just about this, i'm worried about if those changes maded are good. I mean if they can't properly make a decision about the look of the car, they propably dont also about the chassis too.

Anyway i dont think all the chassis will be used at Bahrein, i see too much changes for only 2 token :/

Morteza

Via AMuS
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

wowgr8

Blackout wrote:
The sidepod bodywork is completely different too and it adopts the redbulian downwashy style.
Abandoning their design what do you mean? Since 2017 they've just evolved the lower SIPS design further and further. 2019 to 2020 there was the change where they got rid of the intake on the top side of the sidepod but what you see today is just ultra tight engine cover/sidepods with that Red Bull style crease, it's a natural evolution IMO, most of the grid following that Mercedes sloping sidepod thing they did with the W10
Last edited by wowgr8 on 10 Mar 2021, 15:24, edited 1 time in total.

JPower

Schifty wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 15:16
The body work i like it, but really Ferrari ? seeing the choice to put Mission Winnow in flashy green on matte red and cartoon paint number ??? Just about this, i'm worried about if those changes maded are good. I mean if they can't properly make a decision about the look of the car, they propably dont also about the chassis too.

Anyway i dont think all the chassis will be used at Bahrein, i see too much changes for only 2 token :/
That doesn’t make sense. Everything seen can be done within the rules.

wowgr8

Schifty wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 15:16

You think that because they painted the MW on the engine cover green they don't know how to build a good car?

jjn9128

LM10 wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 15:04
I was not expecting to see such big changes. Looks like they put quite of an effort into that car. The bodywork in the sidepod area is the most striking change on these pictures. And it looks refreshingly nice.
Looks to me like they've modified it without altering the internal crash structure - indicates they've spent their tokens elsewhere.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

JordanMugen

Morteza wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 14:48
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EwHniN4XcAA ... name=large
Via @Graftechweb
The nose treatment around the homologated structure is very clever. =D>

wowgr8 wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 15:23
You think that because they painted the MW on the engine cover green they don't know how to build a good car?
I do wish teams would not insist on matte paint. What is the laptime gain from having matte paint --- <0.001s per lap or more or even less than that? Mercedes manage to do just fine with a layer of 'heavy' clear gloss over the car!
The reason is not aesthetic, but exclusively technical. Eliminating the shiny element gives us a few hundred grams, which may not sound like much, but when you push everything to the limit even this has an effect.
- Binotto
https://au.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferra ... t/4338384/
Last edited by JordanMugen on 10 Mar 2021, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.

JPower

Anyway, I found the launch video to be actually informative for once.

Compared to the other cars it seems like Ferrari has made the most visible changes for 2021. I guess we’ll find out if they’re good ones soon.

LM10

jjn9128 wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 15:23
LM10 wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 15:04
Looks to me like they've modified it without altering the internal crash structure - indicates they've spent their tokens elsewhere.
They’ve spent their tokens at the rear.

Xwang

JordanMugen wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 15:26
Morteza wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 14:48
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EwHniN4XcAA ... name=large
Via @Graftechweb
The nose treatment around the homologated structure is very clever. =D>
The new nose remind me this one:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caterham_ ... re_FP2.jpg
Last edited by Xwang on 10 Mar 2021, 15:31, edited 1 time in total.

Macklaren

Morteza wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 15:17
Sorry for the dumb question...but isn't the halo supposed to be made of titanium? is that just a carbon wrap?