Williams FW27

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dumrick

Williams FW27

Launch photos:

My comments: following the trend, Williams has very narrow sidepods near the rear wheels, very big chimneys facing outwards (Ferrari style) as only air outlet of cooling air, Renault style front wing, conventional nose and winglets near the engine's air intake and above the front axle to regain as much of the downforce lost as possible. Front suspension seems to be back to the single-keel layout.

joseff

I wonder why Williams seems to be the only team with low sidepods throughout (ie. not just the back)... the front seems much lower than everybody else's.

Sawtooth-spike

To somebody who is not super technical, its look almost the same as last years car (other than it has no tusks). All the other teams have stepped up with something that could answer to the ferrari, and this looks like it wont. i could be totaly Wrong. But i just think that they have played it safe and i think it might bite them on the arse.

(i would love to know, is this nose the most ugly nose? its so hight!)

joseff

I agree... it looks like an FW26 with bolt-on aero parts that are 5 months overdue.

Sawtooth-spike

hang on, noticed a differance!

It has a Wing just befor the tail like almost every other car

pompelmo

very small air intakes in thic car..and very slim nose, I think that will not cope very well in head-on crash :shock: but the designers know what they done

West

The profile of the nose looks similar to that of the FW24 and 23. Angle of the bottom of the nose is very sharp compared to that of the FW25
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

KJM3

Sawtooth-spike wrote:To somebody who is not super technical, its look almost the same as last years car (other than it has no tusks). All the other teams have stepped up with something that could answer to the ferrari, and this looks like it wont. i could be totaly Wrong. But i just think that they have played it safe and i think it might bite them on the arse.

(i would love to know, is this nose the most ugly nose? its so hight!)
The Sidepods are VERY VERY different than last year, as well as the nose being very high and the front wing have a very low dip in the middle like the BAR Honda does.

In case you didn't know, the shape of the car with regards to the nose, front wing and sidepods are quite significant changes.

The sidepods this year are much much more rounded.

- KJ

Sawtooth-spike

Yes the bits they had to change are different i will give you that and the side pod have a had a LITTLE work done on them. But it still looks the same as last years car, there is always evolution but in this case its very limited.

Steven
Owner

well I really don't think this is the same car as last year basically.
there are very much changes in fact.

Keep in mind Montoya won the last race of last year not just by luck, so it was a top car then.

Anyway, the air happer is now wider and lower, being higher above the driver's helmet. Furthermore the sidepods are steeply going down towards the end of the car (maybe some flow seperation... ). Furthermore the nose seems higher than last year and there is clearly a difference at the splitter too, don't know what but it looks different.

KJM3

Sawtooth-spike wrote:To somebody who is not super technical...
The FW27 has a single-keel vs. the twin-keel the FW26 had. That in itself is a very big change.

I don't know what you were "expecting", but this car is very different than last years car if you know what you're looking at.

- KJ

joseff

is it just me, or the sidepods are actually not full-width? the flat plane seems to be wider than the pods...

Irvingthien

Look at the size of that airbox inlet, how are they going to get any pressure in there.

joseff wrote:is it just me, or the sidepods are actually not full-width? the flat plane seems to be wider than the pods...
as with most of the teams this year :wink:

are those some big white exhaust chimneies in the back, if so, they are not on all of the pictures. Are they alreadi testing for hotter races??