2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
lio007

Re: 2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This. Sums it up very well.

etusch

Manoah2u wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 21:41
Merc has the freedom to turn their dials from 8,5 to 11 if they need to.
RedBull already has their dials up on 12, and at best they can challenge Merc being on 8,5.

RedBull obviously also is running their 'dyno cell' as Mercedes is doing, in other words, these test days are nothing more but 'synchronizing'. You could even argue Merc's gearbox problems were just random 'coincidence', or on the other hand, they were actually persuing real-life boundaries and now know where that limit is, and as such have a benefit.
boundaries realised just after installation lap. Ok let see first then except. No problem.

teemah

Wouter wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 18:23
Testing day 3 is over! Honda on place 1 and 2 !! Max (C4) and Yuki (C5) , both on fire !! =D> =D> =D>

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ewc75jGXMAo ... ame=medium
Definitely! Could not have hoped for a better test result. So many positives to take into the new season...well everything to be honest, RB16B/Honda, Max, Checo, Gasly and Yuki right at the very end, WOW =D> ! Glory run?....yep but who cares when a 20 year old rookie bursts into the Red Bull team and tussles with Max, BULLFIGHT!! \:D/, perfect ending to a fascinating 3 days!
Last edited by teemah on 14 Mar 2021, 22:21, edited 2 times in total.

godlameroso

No one talks about the long runs. That tells you pretty much everything. Last year the long runs showed Mercedes around half a second faster than RBR. The season pretty much panned out like that.

Mercedes is a few tenths down on the long runs, so even if they have performance in hand, so does RBR, this season WILL be closer than the last few. Whether it's Slo Poke's doing or whatever, it doesn't matter, the level playing field exists.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

Manoah2u wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 21:41
Merc has the freedom to turn their dials from 8,5 to 11 if they need to.
RedBull already has their dials up on 12, and at best they can challenge Merc being on 8,5.

RedBull obviously also is running their 'dyno cell' as Mercedes is doing, in other words, these test days are nothing more but 'synchronizing'. You could even argue Merc's gearbox problems were just random 'coincidence', or on the other hand, they were actually persuing real-life boundaries and now know where that limit is, and as such have a benefit.
The cold fact remains all teams have been playing catchup. Mercedes still holds the higher ground.

Mercedes mentioned something before, when Ferrari was playing cheaters with their engines: that Mercedes had to adapt and develop to beat the cheaters, and became even more powerfull. Then, the cheaters got caught and subsequentially lost all their 'play'. wolff himself called it irony that these games made them even better. What people seem to forget is that this shows just how far Mercedes is willing to go and has still improved from their already mighty engine AND car. The pink Mercedes immediately was a great improvement , but still the pinks were nowhere near the Mercedes itself. At best, it was RBR-ToroRosso/AT comparable.

Mercedes clearly hasn't sat still, and have developed and improved. They were ahead always, and they have improved.
RedBull has managed to 'catch up' more or less to them and was helped by the crazy 2020 season, tracks that suited them better than AMG perhaps,
and the fact Ferrari was missing from the picture.

I don't expect Ferrari to have suddenly 'reappeared' out of nowhere, but i'm expecting them to be closer in 2021, and that goes for AMR, Mclaren and Alpine too.

RedBull has 1 driver in the shape of Perez who can now also play ball (where Albon just couldn't), and get RBR - and Max - better shots at the WDC and WCC. After all, Perez is more likely to come in between Max and Bottas for that matter.

However, RedBull has 1 'extra card' in their hands - Mercedes has 4 of them.
Mclaren is now running Mercedes engines. That's gonna benefit them compared to the Renaults before, and they have Ricciardo. All whilst running Mercedes engines.
Aston Martin is the clear B-team / sister team, Wolff is buddies with Stroll SR, has a stake in the team, and AMR is ever so more invested.

So it's all fun and games to concider RedBull are 'looking good', the truth remains they're not alone in the field, and even though Honda has claimed to do some extra work,
it's a fact that Honda is stepping out, and the rest is NOT.

RedBull has a tougher fight than at first sight is visible.

All it takes is a few first GP tech issues and motivation plummets and the competition gets and advantage.
All along, that offcourse goes just the same for Mercedes. A bad start of the season and RedBull can get a head start.

The simple end-truth is this: there really hasn't changed all that much since the last race, last season.

And let's not forget:

Mercedes has won ALL WDC and WCC's since 2014. That's 7 seasons. that's 14 titles.

Before that, it was RedBull who got all the gravy, bar 2009.
The only thing that really changed that was the rules changes in 2014.

Otherwise, RedBull would have had more in the bag - i don't even have the faintest doubt about that.

I don't want to be too negative and grim and dark, but it's just the truth.
Hell, i would love to see them challenge Mercedes for real. Not just for shows.

But the only real fights that are going on are not between AMG and RBR.

It's Mercedes, Alpine, Aston Martin, Ferrari.
And that's what i want to see RBR engage with against Mercedes. Not RBR 'luckily barily managing to challenge' thanks to extreme efforts.
I want RBR being able to hit Mercedes with a right hook, and then Mercedes hitting them with the left hook, fair and square.

It's going to take the actual 1st GP of 2021 before we will find that out.
If the RBR is as fast as the Mercedes there will be NO stopping Verstappen from getting the title. The only thing that could stop him is reliability. It's because he's had a car that's been .7 seconds off the pace that it's gone the way it has.

Max is the only reason the gap in the end only manifests itself as .3-.5, and now that .7 is .3, plus the Max factor, and he can challenge. It won't be easy, but he can pull it off.
Saishū kōnā

TNTHead

Indeed lets be realistic and not filled with wishful thinking, how hard it may be.

Still it was a strange testing scheme with the Mercs with some issues. But we know that they also are masters in sandbagging and not showing their full hand (last years there were climpses that they have an extra 1 s / lap extra in hand). So based on historical trends it is save to say they will be at the front row at the first GP.

I still remember last year where Merc was not pushing at all, high fuel loads/low engine modes, playing down their chances etc. It's all part of the game.

Though it is an exciting thought that the Mercs may have designed a flawed backend! But no, unlickely that they haven't sorted that out at the first GP, if that is the case at all.

ispano6

The high rake concept is something that RedBull have a known advantage with. The question is how well has Mercedes coped to the floor changes. Floor changes don't require tokens as far as I know, and it will be something teams can evolve throughout the season. Alpha Tauri showed they can have quite a different diffuser concept without spending tokens on a gearbox change so there is much in store for RedBull to bring development-wise. It's been noted that the RB16b's floor is relatively simple and that there is no ground breaking innovation yet apparent with it so watch this space.

Juzh

markoc wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 18:33
Juzh wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 11:40
I've gone and checked wind conditions at the time perez did his best lap, because this can be checked in F1 app after all. And it just so happens i have everything recorded :)
At that time of checo's lap there was a back wind actually at 3kmh, which is nothing, less than 1m/s. So this debate should really be dropped now.
https://i.imgur.com/l4HtU3y.jpg
I just have to correct you. That picture is actually showing that wind is blowing from the north. Which makes it a head wind.
So, his air speed is 311 kph, which I do agree is insignificant difference.
Oh I thought it's blowing to north direction, not the opposite.

Juzh

verstappen's fastest lap 1m28.960
https://streamable.com/0d88i8

Sieper

He lost quite some time in the last sector, if what Karun said (up 6,5 tenths on the steer) is correct.

In one of the earlier hot laps Ricciardo was just providing some dirty air in that long corner. Unfortunate. We haven’t seen the perfect lap yet. One chance was killed by Kimi exitting the pitlane at the worst moment. Eyebrow raiser for me, why would they do that.

LM10

Sieper wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 00:49
He lost quite some time in the last sector, if what Karun said (up 6,5 tenths on the steer) is correct.

In one of the earlier hot laps Ricciardo was just providing some dirty air in that long corner. Unfortunate. We haven’t seen the perfect lap yet. One chance was killed by Kimi exitting the pitlane at the worst moment. Eyebrow raiser for me, why would they do that.
Wasn't that Mazepin?

Lock2nl

Yes. That was the Maze..

Sieper

Thanks for the correction, saw a white/red flash and assumed it was the AlfaRomeo. But in fact was the Russian flag. That also explains the moment, Mazepin.

etusch

_cerber1

Very wide off-piste exit after 4 turns. Wouldn't the FIA remove such a circle in qualifying?