New Jeddah circuit

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Sieper

Re: New Jeddah circuit

Sieper wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 13:25
That will be an expensive weekend with lots of cars in the wall.

It's a street circuit, what do you expect? :)
[/quote]

A lot of cars in the wall! :D

there were quite a lot of flowing corners were the wall of the shoulder of the next turn might be a place where if you slide out of the first one slam in to. That is unlike Baku with it's 90 degrees corner, or Montreal for the most part (where walls meat you at the side on corner exit. I thought it looked potentially like one of the most dangerous tracks. But we'll see ow it turns out!

aMessageToCharlie

Turn 15/16 looks like a huge shunt waiting to happen. Other than that, not much to say really as everyone knows already that F1 going to Saudi Arabia is complete bs.

The youtube comments are gold though:

"This track has as many overtaking opportunities as human rights in Saudi Arabia"

"F1: bans grid girls for the sake of not degrading women
Also F1: Decides to have a gp in a country that's known to oppress women"

"Very disappointed with this track.
It’s gonna be like Monaco, minus the hills, history and human rights..."

"Fun Fact: This circuit was originally designed to be clockwise, but the crown prince wanted as few rights as possible."

“It’s rights out, and away we go!”

"Can't wait for the W series to take on this track...."

MKlaus

aMessageToCharlie wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 16:34
Turn 15/16 looks like a huge shunt waiting to happen. Other than that, not much to say really as everyone knows already that F1 going to Saudi Arabia is complete bs.
if f1 can go to russia, usa and china, going to saudi arabia isn't the worst thing, if the perspective here is human rights abuse. but then, human rights has never been a consideration for f1.

Herr_Koos

SiLo wrote:
I legitimately had no clue what part of the track I was on for most of it. Like it all looked exactly the same. Left...right...left...right...hairpin....left...right...left...right
That's why F1 drivers get paid the big bucks.

Just_a_fan

Herr_Koos wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 17:01
SiLo wrote:
I legitimately had no clue what part of the track I was on for most of it. Like it all looked exactly the same. Left...right...left...right...hairpin....left...right...left...right
That's why F1 drivers get paid the big bucks.
Exactly so. In fact all professional racing drivers will learn a new circuit in only a handful of laps. They'll spend time memorising the layout on plan when working with the engineers and then when they go out on track there are no real surprises. And with simulators, top drivers will have driven a circuit a hundred times before they get anywhere near it.

Of course, when you're driving in real life rather than a computer screen, you can read where the road is going much easier and know whether a turn is opening or tightening etc., using simple clues from the road itself.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Rodak

Spectators won't be able to see a thing, except possibly an occasional roll hoop......

PlatinumZealot

F1NAC wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 12:00
What do you think?

To me it looks ugly AF

https://mobile.twitter.com/F1/status/13 ... 6291193859
Love it!
It is nice and flowing for a street circuit. I like the esses especially. Because of that constant high speed flow fatigue will take its toll on the arms after a good number of laps and we will see huge mistakes and drama. Again the flow and speed is very unique for a street track!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

aMessageToCharlie wrote:

The youtube comments are gold though:

"This track has as many overtaking opportunities as human rights in Saudi Arabia"

"F1: bans grid girls for the sake of not degrading women
Also F1: Decides to have a gp in a country that's known to oppress women"

"Very disappointed with this track.
It’s gonna be like Monaco, minus the hills, history and human rights..."

"Fun Fact: This circuit was originally designed to be clockwise, but the crown prince wanted as few rights as possible."

“It’s rights out, and away we go!”

"Can't wait for the W series to take on this track...."
F1 is doing the right thing by racing there. F1 was never some bargaining chip for human rights or politics. F1 and also sport in general does mix with human rights and politics, but it's effective use to spread a good message is of more value.

For example I believe that if F1 had raced in the USA in 2020 the message of racial injustice would have resonated quite well against the background of what was happening at the time.

The same should be done in Saudi. Go there. Spread a message of equality. Some hearts will hoepfully change.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

RaceFan1

Looks like an old school Bernie money grab GP. A higher speed parade than Monaco.

aMessageToCharlie

Yeah, I generally agree, but tbh I seriously doubt that F1 will be sporting lgbt shirts and rainbow flags in Saudi Arabia or cause any trouble and bad PR for the country. But let's wait and see.

notsofast

It's like Montreal with a continuous Wall of Champions.

It reminds me of that game Operation. I'm glad I'm not racing that circuit myself.

nzjrs

I'm considering attending this one. Anyone else looking at going?

Manoah2u

Geesh what a bland, boring and uninspiring track. It looks endlessly the same, in the simulator it looks actually annoying to the drivers, especially the lighting and crampedness, the way it's built is going to have massive crashes, many safety cars and potential red flag situations, and looks like some boring racing game track 'designed' by someone uninspired to just put out a track for putting out a track. ah well, what else could one expect from tilke.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Partymood

MKlaus wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 16:54
aMessageToCharlie wrote:
if f1 can go to russia, usa and china, going to saudi arabia isn't the worst thing, if the perspective here is human rights abuse. but then, human rights has never been a consideration for f1.
+1

Zynerji

Partymood wrote:
19 Mar 2021, 12:19
MKlaus wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 16:54
aMessageToCharlie wrote:
+1
They canceled Bahrain a few years ago for Human Rights issues, and the most racially diverse sport on the planet was the focus of racial "justice" issues last year.

Politics poison everything in the modern era.