Formula 1: Drive to Survive (Netflix documentation)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Jolle

Re: Formula 1: Drive to Survive (Netflix documentation)

nzjrs wrote:
20 Mar 2021, 18:48
Jolle wrote:
20 Mar 2021, 16:45
- Hamilton gets Schumi’s head delivered by his son
This little typo gave me a laugh :lol: :lol:
Not a typo because that was how it looked ;-)

Jolle wrote:
214270 wrote:
19 Mar 2021, 19:50
My thoughts:
. They obviously didn’t get consent from VER, he’s non-existent in this series.
. Buxton MC’ing the series as usual this time joined by Jennie Gow, both giving an assessment of proceedings which was probably fine for the casuals but BS for anyone who follows the sport keenly.
. Horner still thinks he’s a legend.
. Williams incl their drivers given pretty much zero screentime.
. They gave Mick Schu more screentime than OCO and KYV.
. In some ways the lack of screentime given to OCO and RUS is a big problem for Merc. They just don’t have anyone who moves the needle in their junior ranks.

Main take away is that I didn’t realise how much I like GRO. He’s a gentleman; awkward, but authentic.
Good chance there was not so much VER, that he had a deal with Ziggo for a own serie. What surprised me more that some epic moments from the season were either very small or non excising. Stuff like:
- Verstappen gets a new front suspension on the grid
- The Turkish GP, in all its aspects, from the new asphalt to the epic Hamilton drive.
- same more or less with the two Austrian GP’s, that was a story on itself. Podium for Leclerc vs mounting his teammate, false start for Hamilton vs epic pole at the second GP, etc.
Yes, all the great stories from last season they just ignored, I don’t understand why they did that.

The ziggo bit is also confusing. Ziggo is niche and localised, Netflix is massive in comparison. The reach is not even comparable
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

NathanOlder

I'm guessing they missed a lot as they couldn't just run around the paddock with all the restrictions last year.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Jolle

NathanOlder wrote:
20 Mar 2021, 19:34
I'm guessing they missed a lot as they couldn't just run around the paddock with all the restrictions last year.
A lot of things were picked up by the normal feed, they easily could have done some interviews later.

Jolle

214270 wrote:
20 Mar 2021, 19:30
Jolle wrote:
214270 wrote:
19 Mar 2021, 19:50
My thoughts:
. They obviously didn’t get consent from VER, he’s non-existent in this series.
. Buxton MC’ing the series as usual this time joined by Jennie Gow, both giving an assessment of proceedings which was probably fine for the casuals but BS for anyone who follows the sport keenly.
. Horner still thinks he’s a legend.
. Williams incl their drivers given pretty much zero screentime.
. They gave Mick Schu more screentime than OCO and KYV.
. In some ways the lack of screentime given to OCO and RUS is a big problem for Merc. They just don’t have anyone who moves the needle in their junior ranks.

Main take away is that I didn’t realise how much I like GRO. He’s a gentleman; awkward, but authentic.
Good chance there was not so much VER, that he had a deal with Ziggo for a own serie. What surprised me more that some epic moments from the season were either very small or non excising. Stuff like:
- Verstappen gets a new front suspension on the grid
- The Turkish GP, in all its aspects, from the new asphalt to the epic Hamilton drive.
- same more or less with the two Austrian GP’s, that was a story on itself. Podium for Leclerc vs mounting his teammate, false start for Hamilton vs epic pole at the second GP, etc.
Yes, all the great stories from last season they just ignored, I don’t understand why they did that.

The ziggo bit is also confusing. Ziggo is niche and localised, Netflix is massive in comparison. The reach is not even comparable
It’s local but also Libery owned.

Maybe they are working together on a new serie to have HAM vs MAX in the near future with all these kinds of moments.

nzjrs

Jolle wrote:
20 Mar 2021, 19:04
nzjrs wrote:
20 Mar 2021, 18:48
Jolle wrote:
This little typo gave me a laugh :lol: :lol:
Not a typo because that was how it looked ;-)
Haha ok now I have to find that scene to watch!

Spacepace

Does anyone else hate the fake commentary added in post during action scenes. Or the fake full throttle through corners to make the cars appear faster...not complaining but I find it hard to watch

waynes

the whole thing is contrived shite. I've put myself through four episodes of series 3 now (upto Italy and Ferrari) and increasingly irritated by as Spacepace mentions, the sound editing is absolutely garbage.

the fake commentary i've already touched on with my previous post but going up the straight at Russia yet gearing down. Cutting from start of lap, to end, to middle. Seriously?

oh and the talking heads Gow and Buxton are quite irritating as well. Why i watch something that irritates me so intensely i'll never know. I will obviously watch the rest of the episodes :D

F1Fan2018

Just finished watching it, I wish they would stop skipping around the year and just go in order, and I agree they could have followed a lot of more stories last year I think it was one of the most exciting years for ages so great drives by a lot of the midfield, Cant stand Horner though he comes across as someone who thinks he's something special, there's just something about him that just grates on me.

One thing which this series has shown is how likeable Mclaren are again, I felt during the honda days they lost their way and just didnt route for them anymore which wasnt to do with the results it was more to do with the way were with everything even in the first netflix season everything was negative, and as much as I think Alonso is a brilliant driver (one of the best) I feel like he was a very negative impact on them and it was all about keeping him happy, and there didnt seem as much passion. But seeing the way the team is the way Zak was so passionate about the results I felt fired up just watching it just seems so much more positivity in the team now and im hoping with Ricciardo coming in and how fun and likable he is it will get even better for them.

jjn9128

waynes wrote:
21 Mar 2021, 10:34
the whole thing is contrived shite. I've put myself through four episodes of series 3 now (upto Italy and Ferrari) and increasingly irritated by as Spacepace mentions, the sound editing is absolutely garbage.

the fake commentary i've already touched on with my previous post but going up the straight at Russia yet gearing down. Cutting from start of lap, to end, to middle. Seriously?

oh and the talking heads Gow and Buxton are quite irritating as well. Why i watch something that irritates me so intensely i'll never know. I will obviously watch the rest of the episodes :D
Y’all are weak willed 😂😂😂

S1 was the same so I never bothered with S2 nor will I with S3. Good to know nothing’s changed.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

SmallSoldier

I enjoyed it for what it was, Formula 1 content to kill time before the start of the season... After watching every Practice session, qualifying and race last season... Reading as many articles as possible, interviews and of course a part of this forum that I visit every single day, I didn’t watched DTS to relieve the season or to find about things that I didn’t know, it was for entertainment and as such it did it’s job (my wife absolutely loved it... She doesn’t care nor know if there are a few liberties taking by @boxtoboxfilms

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

El Scorchio

SmallSoldier wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 16:21
I didn’t watched DTS to relieve the season or to find about things that I didn’t know, it was for entertainment and as such it did it’s job (my wife absolutely loved it... She doesn’t care nor know if there are a few liberties taking by @boxtoboxfilms

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Exactly! And that's the whole point. It's aimed at entertaining and bringing potential new fans in. Now your wife amongst others might be more inclined to watch races. Given Netflix global reach of hundreds of millions of people, the series is a superb marketing tool for a mass audiance. It's not really aimed at us.

skoop

I almost feel like I should be ashamed, but I really like the show. Of course sometimes they take it a bit too far (e.g. pre-season testing in episode 1), but they need this narrative to tell a story. That's why I am not bothered by the fake commentator as well. Just remember that people obsessing over front wings and barge board designs are the minority (I know, it's unbelievable :)).

In Ep.7, Steiner tugging at GROs finger after the race at the Nurburgring was a gem. He knew straightaway the gravel-broken finger crap was BS :lol: :lol: :lol:
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Zynerji

Oddly, after putting up with me watching F1 since 2003 (lots of 2am, FP2 alarms🤣), the wife has actually gotten very interested in F1 now that she has watched this with me.

It's not made for the hard core fans, for sure. But if it can wrap up a person that has fought against watching F1 for 18 years, and make them an interested fan, I'm SUPER impressed!