2021 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 26 - 28

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
El Scorchio

Re: 2021 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 26 - 28

MHR650 wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 14:37
SirBastianVettel wrote:
21 Mar 2021, 09:53
I was hoping that teams would be able to choose their own tire allocation again this season.
Probably never going back, makes everyone’s life easier, and the teams will learn to work around it. One of the many things that will change permanently after the pandemic.
It's a shame. Cuts down options for varying strategies and counter strategy even more, thus leading to even more predictable racing.

SiLo

El Scorchio wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 14:49
MHR650 wrote:
SirBastianVettel wrote:
21 Mar 2021, 09:53
I was hoping that teams would be able to choose their own tire allocation again this season.
Probably never going back, makes everyone’s life easier, and the teams will learn to work around it. One of the many things that will change permanently after the pandemic.
It's a shame. Cuts down options for varying strategies and counter strategy even more, thus leading to even more predictable racing.
In reality they would most likely pick the hardest compounds they can get away with and then just do a 1 stop cruise around race.
Felipe Baby!

SirBastianVettel

MHR650 wrote:
I'm afraid you might be right. Even though we rarely saw big differences between the selection of the teams it did sometimes meant that a team didn't have any real long-run data on a certain compound which created some uncertainty in the race.

El Scorchio

SiLo wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 15:02
El Scorchio wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 14:49
MHR650 wrote:

In reality they would most likely pick the hardest compounds they can get away with and then just do a 1 stop cruise around race.
Good point. However, enforcing these restrictions could also be interpreted a way of artificially trying to engineer a situation or result by forcing teams to use tyres that may well suit certain cars somewhat more than others.

I'd just let them all do what they want. It was fine beforehand, really and at least the allocation choice led to the chance of more plan B's etc. At the end of the day Pirelli will be producing hundreds of sets of all five compounds so they aren't going to be wasting a lot, especially with the teams 'ordering in advance.'

dans79

El Scorchio wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 16:30
Good point. However, enforcing these restrictions could also be interpreted a way of artificially trying to engineer a situation or result by forcing teams to use tyres that may well suit certain cars somewhat more than others.
Must keep the masses entertained with fake drama!
197 104 103 7

Just_a_fan

Just watching the pole lap, and I noticed that Hamilton didn't use 8th on the straight before the final corner. He ran up against the limiter and stayed there for some time. Would I be right in thinking that it was a strategy to allow the battery to be charged by the ICE rather than taking 8th for a short period and having a km/h or two extra top speed? The extra battery juice then being used in the exit on to the start straight to give maximum acceleration. The sector was purple so I assume it wasn't a mistake.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

PlatinumZealot

Could be driver preference too.

So this race again. I don't remember if the last one was exciting with the Grosjean accident and all. Im hoping early seasons car problems give us some more drama.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

NathanOlder

Could be interesting if teams choose 2 compounds, and the teams had to pick and announce which ones they chose in championship order, so the next team had a choice to mix it up and almost guarantee pole position with a softer compound.

then again that's just a silly idea like the reverse grids etc #-o
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

notsofast

Tire drama is more likely to be caused by flat-spotting during qualifying than by bad compound selection.

Mattchu

@MtthsMlw

Thanks once again for doing this...seeing it posted confirms in my mind that it`s actually happening. Looking forward to a decent weekend of watching some F1, not really arsed about who wins, I just enjoy watching these superb man and machine combinations do their thing, they look great under lights...

I hoped for this year they would tweak qualifying, give each team 5 sets of a different [softer] tyres and say, right you have half an hour, then 5 get knocked out, then another 3 sets for 20 minutes, lose another 5, then 3 sets for another 20 minutes, fastest time wins...

Free choice of what tyre you start the race, but you must pit at least twice!

Racer X

Everything is too wild to try to predict so I wont try but I'm curios to know what you guys all think?
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

Scorpaguy

My gut says Vet...wild race with lots of incidents.

My hunch says Max...on merit.

My head says Ham...in a runaway.

My hope is Fred!

Big Tea

Scorpaguy wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 03:52
My gut says Vet...wild race with lots of incidents.

My hunch says Max...on merit.

My head says Ham...in a runaway.

My hope is Fred!
Just to complete the unlikely score board, Stroll, Bottas, Perez or Dan ric
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

GalacticHitchHiker

The obvious answer is Mercedes were playing up their problems in testing and take pole and the win. Bottas wins and comes up with a new statement for his critics that becomes the meme of the season when Hamilton wins the next three in a row.

The fun answer is Mercedes actually struggle and Red Bull takes pole and a 1,3 with Hamilton splitting them.

The chaos answer is that the Red Bull that takes pole and the win is Perez.