General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PlatinumZealot

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Zynerji wrote:
21 Mar 2021, 17:27
I keep coming back to this on the Honda due to the cackle, but if high efficiency lowers exhaust temps, thus lowering MGUH power, is it possible that they "burp" the exhaust valve a tiny amount during the power stroke? Just small, loud, hot jets into the exhaust pipe, followed by the cooler spent gasses on the exhaust stroke?

I think those cackles are cylinder deactivation.

The frequency of these Hybrid engine crackles is just so low compared to times of the blown diffuser. In the new blown diffuer era the crackles were blurted out in a continuous stream, like a fast progression. These hybrid cackles are very spaced out and irregular. Even when accounting for the lower engine rpms the crackle sounds are still much much slower and spaced out. The engines working on a reduced number of cyclinders is a good theory for these noises.

I had theorized a few years ago in the Honda thread that while they are running on three cylinders they could be playing tricks with the other cylinders.
It could be big bang... It could be cold spraying fuel ( if only small amounts of it to cool the cylinders, or godlameroso's favourite topic..) into the exhaust... A bunch of stuff..

The other manufacturers are making these noises too but much quieter. Might be a function of the materials in Hondas exhaust system. Who knows.

I would love to ask Mr. Tanabe why the engines sounds thay way.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

cheeRS

PlatinumZealot wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 06:00
Zynerji wrote:
21 Mar 2021, 17:27
I keep coming back to this on the Honda due to the cackle, but if high efficiency lowers exhaust temps, thus lowering MGUH power, is it possible that they "burp" the exhaust valve a tiny amount during the power stroke? Just small, loud, hot jets into the exhaust pipe, followed by the cooler spent gasses on the exhaust stroke?

I think those cackles are cylinder deactivation.

The frequency of these Hybrid engine crackles is just so low compared to times of the blown diffuser. In the new blown diffuer era the crackles were blurted out in a continuous stream, like a fast progression. These hybrid cackles are very spaced out and irregular. Even when accounting for the lower engine rpms the crackle sounds are still much much slower and spaced out. The engines working on a reduced number of cyclinders is a good theory for these noises.

I had theorized a few years ago in the Honda thread that while they are running on three cylinders they could be playing tricks with the other cylinders.
It could be big bang... It could be cold spraying fuel ( if only small amounts of it to cool the cylinders, or godlameroso's favourite topic..) into the exhaust... A bunch of stuff..

The other manufacturers are making these noises too but much quieter. Might be a function of the materials in Hondas exhaust system. Who knows.

I would love to ask Mr. Tanabe why the engines sounds thay way.
Fascinating to say the least. On the fuel spraying idea, I wonder if it could effectively create a gas-turbine engine out of the turbo...? Basically, at times where full power isn't needed (braking/less than full throttle), an un-ignited mixture from the cylinder(s) goes directly into the turbo to produce a gas-turbine effect and harvest otherwise "wasted" fuel-time. Not wasted fuel, but wasted time where fuel/power wasn't otherwise optimal.
🤭 wrote:
“Being the 'most successful statistically' has nothing to do with being the 'best'. neither when it comes to the cars, nor when it comes to the drivers” 😂

lio007

Wow....so cool:

PlatinumZealot

Era completed. They made it without pulling out as the critiques claimed many times.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Zynerji

PlatinumZealot wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 20:21
Era completed. They made it without pulling out as the critiques claimed many times.
They will be a "Sponsor" next year, no doubt!

If they win the WCC, the Japanese sentiment will change, and they will cave to the Simps in the end...

ispano6

It took a while to get the official team shirt and I've resisted the temptation of unsealing the package until the start of the race. I hope it fits, otherwise I'll probably end up looking like Yamamoto with his shirt too tight.

Singabule

Zynerji wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 20:36
PlatinumZealot wrote:

If they win the WCC, the Japanese sentiment will change, and they will cave to the Simps in the end...
Ya, their issue is "zero carbon" target set by the shareholder and CEO, so become a sponsor wouldnt produce any carbon number I believe, as long as they stop the engine research.

Zynerji

Singabule wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 23:18
Zynerji wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Ya, their issue is "zero carbon" target set by the shareholder and CEO, so become a sponsor wouldnt produce any carbon number I believe, as long as they stop the engine research.
Don't stop, just do the contract work agreed upon with RBR. The article from earlier states there will be a kind of agreement like that in place...

Zynerji

ispano6 wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 22:58
It took a while to get the official team shirt and I've resisted the temptation of unsealing the package until the start of the race. I hope it fits, otherwise I'll probably end up looking like Yamamoto with his shirt too tight.
https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/171d/ ... ?size_id=5
Nice. Still waiting on the Yuki hat to post on AT's site!

JordanMugen

Zynerji wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Maybe, we will see. I would be surprised. Horner was quite adamant about Red Bull Powertrains and a Red Bull power unit.

If Honda would be a sponsor, why would Red Bull need to set up their own powertrain department at all!? If Red Bull are going to pay all, or much, of the bill why would they want the Honda name on it?

I guess a Red Bull Powertrains power unit, based on Honda IP and branded as a Honda through sponsorship is not beyond the realms of possibility, but it does seem like an overly complex arrangement!

Singabule

JordanMugen wrote:
25 Mar 2021, 00:51
Zynerji wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Maybe, we will see. I would be surprised. Horner was quite adamant about Red Bull Powertrains and a Red Bull power unit.

If Honda would be a sponsor, why would Red Bull need to set up their own powertrain department at all!? If Red Bull are going to pay all, or much, of the bill why would they want the Honda name on it?

I guess a Red Bull Powertrains power unit, based on Honda IP and branded as a Honda through sponsorship is not beyond the realms of possibility, but it does seem like an overly complex arrangement!
Carbon neutral, basically workaround fron what shareholders meeting decide. All carbon on RBT now, not honda. I believe there is a lot of internal disagreement inside honda for its F1 operation, so this is to prevent internal conflict.

flexcon

ispano6 wrote:
Where did you get the Polo shirt from? Showing both Redbull and Alpha on it?

Wouter

https://honda.racing/f1/post/f1-2021-begins

BahrainGP Setup - F1 2021 Is Here!
Toyoharu Tanabe Honda Racing F1

“From Honda’s side, in order to improve our performance, we have modified many of our PU components so that we effectively have a new PU for this season. Compared to last year, the new one has more power, a lower centre of gravity and is very compact. Therefore, apart from the power increase, the PU has also improved the overall packaging and therefore performance of both our teams’ cars.
- - - - -
"This will be Honda’s last year in Formula 1 and we feel we are very well prepared on all fronts, from the PU to the chassis to our two strong driver line-ups. We will take every race as it comes as we strive for our ultimate goal of winning the Formula 1 World Championship."

Max: ----
Pierre: ----
Sergio: ----
Yuki ----
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

ispano6

flexcon wrote:
25 Mar 2021, 11:06
ispano6 wrote:
Where did you get the Polo shirt from? Showing both Redbull and Alpha on it?
I had my brother buy it for me at https://goods.honda.co.jp/shop/ but they sold out after a short while. I was able to get 2 medium size shirts and then had to wait until my uncle could find a reasonably priced international shipping carrier that wouldn't charge $200 for shipping. The price of the shirts + shipping ended up being ~$300 but glad I was able to actually get it!