2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

CjC wrote:
26 Mar 2021, 19:28
That’s what I was referring to.
It’s only the first Friday of the season and it’s slightly annoying that he’s once again looking at his glass as half empty :roll:
Who? Lando? Or someone in here?
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

SmallSoldier

Lando’s fastest lap in FP2:

The car doesn’t look too bad, although you can see the corrections on the second half of the lap... Still work to do on the balance.

Long run pace wasn’t horrible, but it was far from the top 2... No wonder why the team is trying to lower expectations since contrary to fan believe, they won’t be crashing Mercedes / RBR’s Championship party this season

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ground Effect

SmallSoldier wrote:
26 Mar 2021, 19:40

The car doesn’t look too bad, although you can see the corrections on the second half of the lap... Still work to do on the balance.

Long run pace wasn’t horrible, but it was far from the top 2... No wonder why the team is trying to lower expectations since contrary to fan believe, they won’t be crashing Mercedes / RBR’s Championship party this season

How far off were they? I read Lando was in a train of cars though.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

CjC
CjC

mwillems wrote:
26 Mar 2021, 19:32
CjC wrote:
It’s only the first Friday of the season and it’s slightly annoying that he’s once again looking at his glass as half empty :roll:
Lando
Just a fan's point of view

CjC
CjC

Macklaren wrote:
...on the other hand, if he's just 0.1s off VER with an evil handling car that he's not yet on top off, the bodes well for when they dial everything in.
I really really doubt others were running much heavier/lower power than them but maybe that's just wishful thinking
I think that’s a better way to look at it

Emag

SmallSoldier wrote:

Do you know what the top speed was on the main straight? Difficult to make out from the steering wheel.
Just curious over the engine mode, if it was over 320 then they definitely gave it more juice than the others.

kfrantzios

The only team with more sponsors in 21 vs 20

EddyBaggio

kfrantzios wrote:
26 Mar 2021, 20:14
The only team with more sponsors in 21 vs 20
https://i.redd.it/1zw343fdkep61.png
Zak 😍 he has really done a fantastic job with the team

CjC
CjC

SmallSoldier wrote:

Maybe that’s what he’s downplaying but the way he comes across you’d think he’s going to struggle to get into Q2.

Third fastest is what I’m after and from what I saw on the live timings we should achieve that this weekend- fingers crossed.

mwillems

CjC wrote:
26 Mar 2021, 19:54
mwillems wrote:
CjC wrote:
Lando
I wouldn't read too much into the article. Was he downbeat or downplaying? Personally, from what I read dispassionately, he says he expects to be in the front of the midfield, but behind Merc and RB, which I think is probably a fair assessment.

SmallSoldier

Ground Effect wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

How far off were they? I read Lando was in a train of cars though.
This is the long run information:

SmallSoldier

CjC wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Maybe that’s what he’s downplaying but the way he comes across you’d think he’s going to struggle to get into Q2.

Third fastest is what I’m after and from what I saw on the live timings we should achieve that this weekend- fingers crossed.
I read the same article and that’s not how he came across to me... He simply states that the car isn’t there yet (you can see how the car got a little unstable in a couple of turns in his fastest lap) and that the he expects both Red Bull and Mercedes to be faster in Qualifying and for the gap to be bigger than what it was in FP2 (which also tells me that he may have done his lap with very low fuel and expecting both RBR and Merc to have done theirs with a bit more fuel in the tank).

Mclaren figthing for P3 is probably the expectation... I believe that lowering the expectations after some of the media have placed them in the fight with Merc and RBR is good, not only for the fans, but even internally, since if expectations run too high they could lose motivation if reality hits hard.

ivanlesk

Probably fighting for p3 or p4 would benefit them more since all money and r'n'd should be spent on next gen. They wont gain anything by staying long in 2021 championship.

FittingMechanics

I think this is a typical Norris comment after practice.

Abu Dhabi 2020
“A positive final Friday of the year. We made some good improvements, but we’ve still got a lot of work to do overnight. I think we can be happy with what we did, but we saw how close it was, so if we don’t maximise everything tomorrow we can easily be a long way off where we want to be. So, heads down tonight to try to get that little bit more out of the car and we’ll go again tomorrow.”

Sakhir 2020
“Today wasn’t a good day for us. We’re quite off the pace so we’ve got quite a bit of work to do going into tomorrow. From my side, it was quite a messy day with one mistake that I made which meant a floor change, and then an issue with the engine that put us out for the rest of the session. So, not the best of days – looking like one of our tougher days in terms of pace. When we needed the laps, we didn’t get them, so we’re in quite a tricky position going into tomorrow, but we’ll work hard overnight and see if we can make some improvements to the car.”

Bahrain 2020
“Tricky day, but at the same time one where I think we gathered a lot of data and got a good understanding of the car. We got through all the planning and the running that we wanted to. It wasn't the easiest or the most straightforward day, but we’ve got good info, so it’s down to tonight and FP3 to put it all together and make some improvements going into qualifying.”

And today:
“A reasonable first day back in the car. I think we started where we left off in testing, which is a good thing. The car has improved in some areas, which is positive, but other areas have got a little bit worse. It’s been a tricky day to put it all together but on the whole I’m happy. Here and there we’ve got some work to do for tomorrow, but if we can put it together, hopefully we can be competitive. We seem to be very close to AlphaTauri, Ferrari and other cars, so tomorrow will definitely be tight, but we’ll see what we can do.”

It's almost the same comment every time.
Last edited by FittingMechanics on 26 Mar 2021, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

To be fair, he has a point this time. That rear looks twitchy midway through higher speed corners and their exit.

I didn't see this in testing though and they aren't going any faster, so its a curious one.

Could be a different set up or conditions i guess.

But I wouldnt say he is being anything but open.