2021 Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
JPower
JPower

Re: 2021 Ferrari F1 Team

I think Ferrari has to be happy with that quali result. They probably should've saved the new softs for Q3 because they were flying in Q2. Way over target. :D

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Called best of the rest during testing. I think this is a great step, and really the absolute maximum we could have hoped for given the refs and frozen everything.

It’s the first quali of the first race, but I hope those calling for everyone to be fired are paying attention. They know what they’re doing. I’m optimistic for a strong Ferrari in 2022

ryaan2904
ryaan2904

JPBD1990 wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 18:10
Called best of the rest during testing. I think this is a great step, and really the absolute maximum we could have hoped for given the refs and frozen everything.

It’s the first quali of the first race, but I hope those calling for everyone to be fired are paying attention. They know what they’re doing. I’m optimistic for a strong Ferrari in 2022
Yupp! Would love to see the looks on all the naysayers' faces rn :lol:
CFD Eyes of Sauron

Mansell89
Mansell89

Ferrari have certainly stepped up - what a battle from Row 3-7 this season will be. Ferociously competitive.

Schippke
Schippke

I'm pleasantly surprised with Ferrari's performance in qualifying... Charles had a cracking lap to get P4, Sainz was running very close to him in Q1 and Q2 before making a mistake in Q3... regardless, still in the Top 10 and a good chance to score some solid points tomorrow and get the year off to a strong start. Looks like we'll be getting trouble from McLaren and Alpha Tauri a bit, and I expect Aston Martin to make an impression in future races too. No doubt the pendulum will swing in different directions this season, so we mightn't be as competitive at other tracks but given the fact that Bahrain is high-speed when it comes to straights we can take this as a big step forward.

All I'm hoping for now is that we've made some improvements on the strategy side of things so we can have cleaner, more straight forward races this year!

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Just like I predicted Ferrari is the third best car, albeit not by a large margin. It seems a lot of people got confused of their fall last year which was largely due to the engines changes they had to make to comply with whatever punishment the FIA imposed on them. They have one of the largest budgets and were Mercedes's strongest rivals in 2018 and 2019. It's only logical they were going to go back to being a top 3 team this year. It seemed taht Sainz underperformed in Q3 though, but Leclerc almost outqualified Bottas, which is mightily impressive. Hopefully another strong showing tomorrow.

Sevach
Sevach

Ferrari should go back to saving 2 sets of softs for Q3.
Engine still leaves something to be desired but no longer pathetic, they can improve on it before the freeze.

Charles and Carlos 3-4 through S2 beating Bottas, amazing progress in terms of chassis/aero.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Sevach wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 00:02
Ferrari should go back to saving 2 sets of softs for Q3.
Engine still leaves something to be desired but no longer pathetic, they can improve on it before the freeze.

Charles and Carlos 3-4 through S2 beating Bottas, amazing progress in terms of chassis/aero.
Rumours are they’re working on a split turbo setup for 2022, similar to what Honda has done this year. If they can make a similar step to what Honda (apparently) has this year - then I’m super keen for 2022.

Having a terrible 2020, and the weird regs in 2021, may have just set Ferrari up to be a leader in 2022. They spoke many times last year, before the budget cap, that they were developing the 2022 car heavily already. Add to that the extra wind tunnel time, etc, due to their horrendous performance last year, + rumours of further engine upgrades. I think we’re well positioned.

Super hopeful.

Ringleheim
Ringleheim

JPBD1990 wrote:

How do you define "rest" ???

Ferrari isn't best of anything. 7/10 and 1.2 seconds off the pace is about the same as last year!

Looks like they might be the 3rd fastest team, we'll see.

Gonna be a long year, but that's the way I prefer it as a Ferrari fan. I want *all* effort going into next year's car; that's the important one.

LM10
LM10

Ringleheim wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 06:49
JPBD1990 wrote:

Ferrari isn't best of anything. 7/10 and 1.2 seconds off the pace is about the same as last year!

Gonna be a long year, but that's the way I prefer it as a Ferrari fan. I want *all* effort going into next year's car; that's the important one.
In the event of your almost constant hate and rage towards Ferrari (despite being a fan) you didn’t have a proper look at the timing sheets of last year and this year. Whereas in 2020 Ferrari was almost 2 seconds behind pole, this year they’re less than 7 tenths behind. As for 1.2 seconds, Sainz had a mistake in his last run. Or are you gonna ignore that?

I’m not saying they’re best of the rest, time will tell that. But you on the other hand are overreacting in a pessimistic way.
Last edited by LM10 on 28 Mar 2021, 09:32, edited 3 times in total.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Ringleheim wrote:
JPBD1990 wrote:

I define ‘rest’ as not the top two, which seemed quite obvious to me. My feeling is that, instead, you’re being purposely obtuse - which I find tiring.

Let’s see how they go in the race tomorrow, but something tells me they’ve made a definite step. I choose to have faith in the team. Sure, they got cooked with the engine debacle and we can finger point for the next 20 years - but in my mind, they’ve done well to turn it around despite the many mechanisms invented to remain status quo (budget cap, token system, carry over cars from 2020). As a fan, I’m happy with that. Keen for the season ahead, and this (so far) gives me hope that 2022 will be decent. That’s all I wanted to say.

Schippke
Schippke

Ringleheim wrote:
JPBD1990 wrote:

I wouldn't go as far in calling Ferrari as best of the rest yet, just off 1 qualifying session... especially considering how close the midfield is looking to be. BUT it is positive that we performed well on a power savvy track. Will be interesting to see when we get to the tighter tracks, like Monaco and Budapest, which are more chassis and higher downforce tracks.

... and I'd say pretty much anybody here wouldn't call Ferrari the best of anything at the moment; They know it as much as the majority of their fans do. Nobody who follows the sport was expecting them to jump to P1/P2 this season; It's effectively impossible. What this season will do hopefully, is reflect and confirm the work/changes going on in the background over the last year which will give them confidence trusting in their resources (and themselves) for 2022.

Again, that is a bit too early to confirm, since we'll need a few races to get an idea of that (and not just car performance, but the team strategies, pitstops etc)... but one thing does seem to be evident, there is a more positive atmosphere at Ferrari this year, and if the glimpses of Carlos' performance so far this weekend is anything to go by in reference to Charles this season, hopefully we'll get absolutely everything out of 2 cars, instead of just the 1 in 2020...

MKlaus
MKlaus

are we not going to talk about firing binotto yet? that seemed like the flavor of the season a month back.
well, one swallow doesn't make a summer. but a good positive start would be an encouraging sign. hopefully they are not going to waste too much of time trying to be the best of the rest, which can impact 2022. i wish sainz wouldn't have had that problem, which probably broke his rhythm. otherwise it would have been a better showing for the team.
hope their strategists aren't in a deep slumber and can come good in race to top off the good showing so far by the team.

LM10
LM10

Schippke wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 09:16
Ringleheim wrote:
JPBD1990 wrote:

I wouldn't go as far in calling Ferrari as best of the rest yet, just off 1 qualifying session... especially considering how close the midfield is looking to be. BUT it is positive that we performed well on a power savvy track. Will be interesting to see when we get to the tighter tracks, like Monaco and Budapest, which are more chassis and higher downforce tracks.

... and I'd say pretty much anybody here wouldn't call Ferrari the best of anything at the moment; They know it as much as the majority of their fans do. Nobody who follows the sport was expecting them to jump to P1/P2 this season; It's effectively impossible. What this season will do hopefully, is reflect and confirm the work/changes going on in the background over the last year which will give them confidence trusting in their resources (and themselves) for 2022.

Again, that is a bit too early to confirm, since we'll need a few races to get an idea of that (and not just car performance, but the team strategies, pitstops etc)... but one thing does seem to be evident, there is a more positive atmosphere at Ferrari this year, and if the glimpses of Carlos' performance so far this weekend is anything to go by in reference to Charles this season, hopefully we'll get absolutely everything out of 2 cars, instead of just the 1 in 2020...
I agree with that. No one was expecting Ferrari to be on top again, including the team itself. And that’s absolutely ok. Binotto has told on every occasion that their goal is to show an improvement from last year’s disaster and confirm they’re going in the right direction. One point of this right direction has been shown already in testing as the correlation finally seems to be good. That’s a key point for effective development in the future. Correlation issues were a big part of Ferrari’s in-season headaches in recent seasons as many of the developments didn’t give them the steps seen in the factory data.

As you’ve also mentioned, other factors which need a fine tuning definitely are the team strategies, pit stops etc. and simply overall problem solution. I hope that we can see an improvement in regards to that as well.

It’s a transition year for Ferrari. The good atmosphere is a refreshingly nice sign after last season. I’m glad Binotto’s opinion is a completely different one than what we were used to from Ferrari in the past, which was overreacting and head-rolling. He has faith in his team and knows that it takes time for a team structure to solidify and eventually give the desired success.

Sevach
Sevach

JPBD1990 wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 04:10

Rumours are they’re working on a split turbo setup for 2022, similar to what Honda has done this year. If they can make a similar step to what Honda (apparently) has this year - then I’m super keen for 2022.

Having a terrible 2020, and the weird regs in 2021, may have just set Ferrari up to be a leader in 2022. They spoke many times last year, before the budget cap, that they were developing the 2022 car heavily already. Add to that the extra wind tunnel time, etc, due to their horrendous performance last year, + rumours of further engine upgrades. I think we’re well positioned.

Super hopeful.
Rumours have floated plenty of ideas about the PU before the freeze, i heard rumours about the intake plenum as well(rumour mill in the paddock must be crazy, since Merc just had a modified plenum now).
Now they have righted the boat and seem in striking distance, probably around 2020 Merc.

I would say do a new floor/diffuser with the latest trends and call it for 2021, everything into next year's car.
And hope Mercedes and Red Bull have tremendous fight for the title :lol: