2021 Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Big Tea

Re: 2021 Ferrari F1 Team

Ferrari seem to be inflexible in their planning again. They had previously decided to use the softs in Q2, and were damn well going to stick to that no matter what the actual numbers looked like.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Andres125sx

At spanish TV Carlos said he was too conservative in S1

He said it was a scary first qualifying with Ferrari with that engine stop in Q1, then they recovered well and did a very good Q2, he was extremelly happy for that p1, but missed a bit of experience in Q3 with that outlap with lots of traffic so he didn´t know what to expect in first corner, was too conservative and lost lot of time he couldn´t recover

Schippke
Schippke

Big Tea wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 12:42
Ferrari seem to be inflexible in their planning again. They had previously decided to use the softs in Q2, and were damn well going to stick to that no matter what the actual numbers looked like.
... or you could look at it as them playing it safe and getting themselves into Q3, whilst chanced it on the Mediums and failed to make it through?

After last year, without knowing what to expect for the first qualifying session of 2021, I'd call that a rather sensible decision.

Partymood
Partymood

Schippke wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 13:17
Big Tea wrote:
... or you could look at it as them playing it safe and getting themselves into Q3, whilst chanced it on the Mediums and failed to make it through?

After last year, without knowing what to expect for the first qualifying session of 2021, I'd call that a rather sensible decision.
Look what happened to RedBull and Alpha Tauri...but i guess they have been inflexible too :lol:

aleks_ader

Also somewhat pull back team principal could do great things for team. If u think about it. If Binnoto actively gives team around him more more roles and provide trust in positive vibe to personnel could be good. For example Mekies gets more control when he isnt present at track. That means he is willing to accept help, share duty, give trust to people around him and also he is self critical enough to fill his weaknesses.

Plus to have in such high position technical person could be definitely advantage for fast pacing technological sport. Sure that could be double edge sword. I ofc have not idea how good or bad bosses are in Ferrari. But at least is fresh perspective in more analytical approach to the team leadership.

Sure Matia failed in drivers department. I would say sporting themes are harder for some people. Especially for technical persons (i m not experienced in that area at all and i m not speaking from experience :D ). Sure team principal could be some one like Todt, Dommenicali, Dennis etc. But nowadays high profile personnel should at least had some sort degree similar to main company operations. World is moving fast. That's is also reason why i like Seidl. He has similar background and logical approach.

So atm Ferrari just need to chill and head down as i imagine would Matia say. At least for one more time Ferrari got team principal on the grid who don't "stirr ---" like others (Horner, Abitebull) all the time and gives realistic views on the future and pragmatic view on current performances. :mrgreen:
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Big Tea

Partymood wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 13:42
Schippke wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 13:17
Big Tea wrote:

Look what happened to RedBull and Alpha Tauri...but i guess they have been inflexible too :lol:
But they will probably get over it when the Ferraris are behind them after first pit stop
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

wowgr8
wowgr8

Big Tea wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 14:43

But they will probably get over it when the Ferraris are behind them after first pit stop
If that happens then it's not Ferrari's fault, it's a consequence of how the rules are, and it's not like it's exclusive to Ferrari, all their direct rivals bar Gasly also qualified on softs

Schippke
Schippke

Considering Ferrari's pace in qualifying, I was hoping for Charles to keep 4th, but McLaren (well, Lando specifically) really drove a great race. A pity we lost out to Perez with a few laps to go for 6th, but it is what it is. Not a bad drive from Carlos either, running longer and getting back past Stroll to get back into 8th.

Regardless, strategy wise today they seemingly made the right moves and the pitstops were quite quick; All in the 2 second range from what I could tell, so that's a positive. Again, only going off this one race it would seem that we might be a bit harder on the tyres than before... but then again, Charles was pulling ahead of Ricciardo so maybe it was Lando's race that skewed that result somewhat?

Regardless, considering where McLaren were last year and we are now at this stage running with them somewhat, you have to look at as great recovery.

tpe
tpe

So, what I take from this race is:

* Ferrari's engine is not close to either Merc or Honda
* Honda's engine is close but no better than Merc
* Merc's strategy is still a class of their own.
* Ferrari's aerodynamics are not that good (look at that huge RW)
* SV should have retired at the end of last year.
* Amazing Norris.
* CS is a very consistent and hard working driver. Let's see if he can beat CL in the long run.

In a race with Perez in Q3, I expect us to be 4-5th fastest team. All in all, it makes NO SENSE to direct resources for this year, but they have to concentrate to 2022.

ryaan2904
ryaan2904

tpe wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 19:13

* Amazing Norris.
* CS is a very consistent and hard working driver. Let's see if he can beat CL in the long run.

In a race with Perez in Q3, I expect us to be 4-5th fastest team. All in all, it makes NO SENSE to direct resources for this year, but they have to concentrate to 2022.
Macs ran the same rear wing and a T wing. Just judging by that I'd say mclaren have --- for aero. But ofc its not so easy to judge it like that is it? Mercs also ran the same RW. So, i wouldn't judge the aero part after race 1.
Totally agree tho, Seb Vettel should have retired after 2020.
CFD Eyes of Sauron

bauc

Ferrari has improved a lot from last season, I see them in a season long fight with Mclaren for P3 in the constructors. Good first race for SAI as well.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

JPower
JPower

tpe wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 19:13

* Amazing Norris.

I think they can still fight for 3rd with McLaren. I didn’t see anything today suggesting otherwise.

I think both drivers showed great race pace and I was happy to see Sainz hawking down Ricciardo by the end of the race.

The McLarens will be faster on power tracks but I think the Ferraris have the chassis advantage.

Carl Mccoy
Carl Mccoy

Ferrari quickly chewing tyres. At the end of 3rd stint Charles tyres go off.

JPower
JPower

Carl Mccoy wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 19:33
Ferrari quickly chewing tyres. At the end of 3rd stint Charles tyres go off.
I think thats Leclerc more than the car. Sainz looked fine to me.

tpe
tpe

Sainz had much more "fresher" tyres.