2021 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 26 - 28

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
dans79

Re: 2021 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 26 - 28

bosyber wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 19:31
Huh, just heared Buxton and Fittipaldi (on post race F1 youtube) argue that Verstappen 'was already past HAM' when he went over the line (and they just had the other guy, what's his name who does the 'tech/analysis' bit explain why taking a wider line as Max did meant he'd end up outside of those kerbs (or have to subsequently go off throttle, and let HAM go out of the corner). But, after all of it, they had a few minutes earlier explain Norris why he let Leclerc past again, then took him next lap (if you had an - arguable - advantage at that turn, be the smart one to give the place back while you are strong).

What do you think? I dunno, but the reasoning seemed a bit off; didn't we have that already, it didn't really look like HAM was 'crowding' VER to me, but I am not a racer.

Anyway great race to watch, hope there's a lot more of this calibre this season!
It doesn't matter if he was fully in front when he went off track, what matters is where he was in relation to Lewis when they turned in.
197 104 103 7

bosyber

Or at best he might take a bit of a hit, then come back stronger again, that's the exciting thing to see, right?! If he does and wins the WDC, that will be great. If he can't and Hamilton takes it, well I'd be good with that too I guess (though then HAM leaving might feel a bit worse? But then again, you'd have to say Verstappen will only learn from it, and become stronger.)

littlebigcat

dans79 wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 19:33
It will be interesting to see how Max's confidence holds up during the season.

I think he's always felt if he had an equal car he could take a championship. However with a car that's currently Superior he wasn't able to take a race that he should have easily been able to.

Having not been in a fight before, I think that will wear on him.
Verstappen won't win the Championship this season, but it will be the season that turns him into a Championship winner

siskue2005

dans79 wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 19:34
bosyber wrote:
Huh, just heared Buxton and Fittipaldi (on post race F1 youtube) argue that Verstappen 'was already past HAM' when he went over the line (and they just had the other guy, what's his name who does the 'tech/analysis' bit explain why taking a wider line as Max did meant he'd end up outside of those kerbs (or have to subsequently go off throttle, and let HAM go out of the corner). But, after all of it, they had a few minutes earlier explain Norris why he let Leclerc past again, then took him next lap (if you had an - arguable - advantage at that turn, be the smart one to give the place back while you are strong).

What do you think? I dunno, but the reasoning seemed a bit off; didn't we have that already, it didn't really look like HAM was 'crowding' VER to me, but I am not a racer.

Anyway great race to watch, hope there's a lot more of this calibre this season!
It doesn't matter if he was fully in front when he went off track, what matters is where he was in relation to Lewis when they turned in.
It all goes back to the rule set after SPA 2008
You need to complete the overtake and clear the corner aswell.

tangodjango

dans79 wrote:

I think he's always felt if he had an equal car he could take a championship. However with a car that's currently Superior he wasn't able to take a race that he should have easily been able to.

Yup today will be a massive blow to his confidence. Hence all that garbled tosh after the race about pulling a 5 sec gap. He thought he'd walk over Hamilton in equal cars and barely got a sniff in a stronger one.
“Hamilton’s talent is perhaps even more than that of Ayrton or Schumacher or Fernando." - Rubens Barrichello

bosyber

dans79 wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 19:34
bosyber wrote:

Well, that confirms my view, yeah, and why I was a bit surprised. No really, taken aback at the argument. But thought I'd ask the impartial internet for their views, or at least this forum where people tend to at least be a bit less partisan.

ringo

i also think that Max will also have to deal with keeping Perez behind if they both start on the same row. Perez had some blinding pace and very clean passes. I dont think he is out of the running. He just needs his 5 races to get used to the car as he says. But already he is a better deal than Gasly or Albon. Redbull can win the constructors this year.
For Sure!!

siskue2005

littlebigcat wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 19:36
dans79 wrote:

Verstappen won't win the Championship this season, but it will be the season that turns him into a Championship winner
Too early to say that

El Scorchio

lh13 wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 19:06
El Scorchio wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 19:00
grubschumi13 wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 18:58
That was a great, great race. May this battle continue all year. Lewis certainly pulled that one out of the bag. The cars are very, very close. Max blew it and so did RBR. The Bottas option really played on RBR and made them doubt.
I think Bottas is going to have his best year.
The cars aren’t very, very close mate. The Red Bull is clearly faster. Nice try (again) though.
You are exaggerating. Today's race showed cars are close indeed.
Sorry, but no. If the Mercedes is on pole by 0.4 seconds then you’ll be among the first people to say how much of a better car it is than any other. Now the situation is reversed and it’s ‘very very close’ between the cars. Come on.

MtthsMlw

lol

ringo

Yep too early to say Max wont be champion.
He has the best car that seems to be half a second a lap quicker than a mercedes and he has a great team behind him with the best pitstops and strategy.
The only thing stopping Max from being champion now is his head.
Once he is on pole and doesnt let Lewis cone withing 8 seconds after 15 laps each race he is a champion. It's those moments with undercuts and strategy overlaps where Lewis can deffend for the win where max will get into trouble.
And then there is rain.. if it rains a lot this year Hamilton will win all of those races.
For Sure!!

godlameroso

Just_a_fan wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 19:25
godlameroso wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 19:20
Winners of the GP
Hamilton
Honda
McLaren

Losers
Alpine
Vettel
Mazepin
You missed one off the winners list - fans of racing. That was proper edge of the seat racing and fans of racing should be happy with it.
Excellent point.
Saishū kōnā

El Scorchio

214270 wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 19:32
siskue2005 wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 19:26
214270 wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 19:22

So if VER managed to get a gap of 5.5s for example, the stewards could add a 6s penalty?
Who knows what goes on the stewards room :lol:
THey could give him two 3 sec penalty for cutting track and then deliberalty not giving it back.

In 2012 Silverstone Alonso got a drive through for not giving the place back... so it could be anything
👍
Yeah, they could just apply whatever they felt like after the race as a penalty and then next week do something different for an identical situation.

Max and the team did completely the right thing. Also it was significant that Max didn’t do anything silly. That’s a maturity compared to a few years ago and a championship mindset. The boy is ready!

dans79

ringo wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 19:42
Yep too early to say Max wont be champion.
He has the best car that seems to be half a second a lap quicker than a mercedes and he has a great team behind him with the best pitstops and strategy.
The only thing stopping Max from being champion now is his head.
Once he is on pole and doesnt let Lewis cone withing 8 seconds after 15 laps each race he is a champion. It's those moments with undercuts and strategy overlaps where Lewis can deffend for the win where max will get into trouble.
And then there is rain.. if it rains a lot this year Hamilton will win all of those races.
Personally, I think as Mercedes gets more on top of their cars set up, the gap will become much smaller, maybe even reverse.

it's obvious at least in the hands of Lewis he's figured out how to extract every ounce of life from the hard compound.
197 104 103 7

siskue2005

El Scorchio wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 19:44
214270 wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 19:32
siskue2005 wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 19:26

Who knows what goes on the stewards room :lol:
THey could give him two 3 sec penalty for cutting track and then deliberalty not giving it back.

In 2012 Silverstone Alonso got a drive through for not giving the place back... so it could be anything
👍
Yeah, they could just apply whatever they felt like after the race as a penalty and then next week do something different for an identical situation.

Max and the team did completely the right thing. Also it was significant that Max didn’t do anything silly. That’s a maturity compared to a few years ago and a championship mindset. The boy is ready!
But he let him through in the wrong part of the track... he should have waited till pit straight and make lewis use his battery and tyres to over take him