2021 Alpha Tauri F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
El Scorchio

Re: 2021 Alpha Tauri F1 Team

Saw the interview Sky did with Tsunoda after the race. What a great kid! How can anyone not root for him! Shame the team’s race didn’t quite go according to plan but this could be a really fun season ahead for them.

Singabule

bigblue wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 21:56
https://www.scuderiaalphatauri.com/en/2021-bahrain-gp/
Unfortunately, we had to retire him towards the end of the race for a suspected gearbox issue that we need to investigate further.
Doesn't a DNF get you some penalty-free parts ? I think a new gearbox is one of (the only ?) new parts allowed.
New and more powerful Honda PU has taken its toll on 2019 gearbox and rear end design? Hopefully not

ispano6

El Scorchio wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 23:16
Saw the interview Sky did with Tsunoda after the race. What a great kid! How can anyone not root for him! Shame the team’s race didn’t quite go according to plan but this could be a really fun season ahead for them.
It's awesome that he can follow Alonso and watch his driving and then take his techniques and improve his own driving! What mental acuity despite the heat of battle. When he said he copied Alonso it instantly reminded me of the copycat ninja Hatake Kakashi! Tsunoda has a Sharingan!!!

Looking forward to Imola where AT was strong last year. They should use the softs in Q2 and be front of the midfield.

PhillipM

Singabule wrote:
29 Mar 2021, 03:30
New and more powerful Honda PU has taken its toll on 2019 gearbox and rear end design? Hopefully not
Nah, nothing to do with more power, the gearboxes last so long you'd be nowhere near fatigue issues from a single race just because of a tiny amount more horsepower.

Zynerji

I always expect "gearbox issues" to mean electro-hydraulic, not mechanical...

Wouter

Formula 1 sporting director Ross Brawn has praised AlphaTauri driver Yuki Tsunoda (20) for his impressive debut in Bahrain,
claiming the Japanese youngster is the "best rookie F1 has had for years".

"I'm really impressed with Yuki Tsunoda. I met him at the weekend for the first time and he's a really impressive character," Brawn wrote in his Bahrain GP debrief.

"He is quite amusing and his language in the car can be a bit fruity. He showed some brilliant spells in the race, which is encouraging considering it was his first F1 race.

"He is the best rookie F1 has had for years, having been fairly stunning in whatever series he has competed in. His promotion by Red Bull looks like a brilliant move."
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/brawn-hails-tsunoda-as-f1 s-best-rookie-for-years/5975693/

The Power of Dreams!

nzjrs

Singabule wrote:
bigblue wrote:
Unfortunately, we had to retire him towards the end of the race for a suspected gearbox issue that we need to investigate further.
Doesn't a DNF get you some penalty-free parts ? I think a new gearbox is one of (the only ?) new parts allowed.
I'd bet my house this was an out of the points "retire to save PU miles because now we have seen an excuse on the data" retirement.

McMika98

More impressed with Yuki's performance than Perez . At the restart following safety car, he was only two places ahead of Perez and yet he managed to follow him closely for half the race. He still need to work a lot but he isnt being given as much credit for getting solid points on debut whilst coming from back of the field. Perez had the faster car so he benefitted but Yuki on his first race did an excellent job.

ispano6

nzjrs wrote:
29 Mar 2021, 21:19
Singabule wrote:
bigblue wrote:

I'd bet my house this was an out of the points "retire to save PU miles because now we have seen an excuse on the data" retirement.
If that was the case they would have retired the PU earlier. It's probably more along the lines of preventing damage to the rest of the powertrain due to the gearbox than saving miles.

Wouter

:D =D>

The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

Franz Tost about the race, Monday from the circuit in this podcast. (German)
He said the team made to much mistakes, the car is very competitive, so 2 points is disappointing.

https://podcast.sport1.de/podcasts/avd- ... magazin-2/
The Power of Dreams!

nzjrs

Wouter wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 15:30
Franz Tost about the race, Monday from the circuit in this podcast. (German)
He said the team made to much mistakes, the car is very competitive, so 2 points is disappointing.

https://podcast.sport1.de/podcasts/avd- ... magazin-2/
I think they are really starting to believe they should be near the top of the midfield now. Good news and hopefully a good year!

etusch

ispano6

Looked to me the AT02 was the 3rd best car if it were on softs. It was unfortunate for Gasly to have the Mclaren's on softs take advantage of their tire choice on the restart and also for Ricciardo getting by when he did. Next race AT should slap on the softs and not let themselves be slower on the mediums when they are faster than their direct competitors who are on softs. Expect a mishap from Mazepin and a safety car, so go with the softs and be 3rd best car on the grid.

etusch

ispano6 wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 03:18
Looked to me the AT02 was the 3rd best car if it were on softs. It was unfortunate for Gasly to have the Mclaren's on softs take advantage of their tire choice on the restart and also for Ricciardo getting by when he did. Next race AT should slap on the softs and not let themselves be slower on the mediums when they are faster than their direct competitors who are on softs. Expect a mishap from Mazepin and a safety car, so go with the softs and be 3rd best car on the grid.
They had tests at imola and car and drivers will be better there I think. Maybe a podium can be possible there.