2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
dans79

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

ryaan2904 wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 18:15
According to these guys, that new plenum upgrade on the mercs isn't working so well...
yea, I don't believe a single word of that. The engines have literally been run to death on dynos. Not to mention they have no direct quotes from anyone to corroborate the story.
197 104 103 7

ryaan2904
ryaan2904

They were clipping on the straights tho... data and Toto both said this I think. Tho that could be down to mapping issues...
CFD Eyes of Sauron

dans79

ryaan2904 wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 18:53
They were clipping on the straights tho... data and Toto both said this I think. Tho that could be down to mapping issues...
Imo, the clipping is most likely down to them changing the mapping to try and compensate for the aero/suspension issue. In other words robbing Peter to pay Paul.
197 104 103 7

zibby43
zibby43

dans79 wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 18:41
ryaan2904 wrote:
According to these guys, that new plenum upgrade on the mercs isn't working so well...
yea, I don't believe a single word of that. The engines have literally been run to death on dynos. Not to mention they have no direct quotes from anyone to corroborate the story.
Since the article wasn't written by PG Tech, I'd actually put some stock into it. Would explain the clipping issue, for sure.

I also found the part about Pirelli providing crap data to Mercedes very interesting. I'm guessing (hoping) all the teams got equally as bad data?

"Thanks to our sources we have come into possession of very interesting information. The multi-champion Mercedes team, after an accurate study on the functioning of the Pirelli compounds , would have found several discrepancies with respect to the data provided by the Italian manufacturer. This factor inevitably affected the performance of the Mercedes W12, so much so that the engineers are intervening both at the aerodynamic and mechanical level on the German single-seater, to try to correct and improve the performance of the car."

Getting the tires working correctly over a single lap will have a tremendous impact on pace.

PhillipM
PhillipM

That's been the case previously, IIRC Mclaren said a few years back the Pirelli data for the shoulder deflection didn't match up with what they saw on the car and it's why they tried to shift back and redesign their bargeboards that year.

dans79

zibby43 wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 20:00
dans79 wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 18:41
ryaan2904 wrote:
Since the article wasn't written by PG Tech, I'd actually put some stock into it. Would explain the clipping issue, for sure.

I also found the part about Pirelli providing crap data to Mercedes very interesting. I'm guessing (hoping) all the teams got equally as bad data?

"Thanks to our sources we have come into possession of very interesting information. The multi-champion Mercedes team, after an accurate study on the functioning of the Pirelli compounds , would have found several discrepancies with respect to the data provided by the Italian manufacturer. This factor inevitably affected the performance of the Mercedes W12, so much so that the engineers are intervening both at the aerodynamic and mechanical level on the German single-seater, to try to correct and improve the performance of the car."

Getting the tires working correctly over a single lap will have a tremendous impact on pace.

The tires issue i could see, but not the engine one.
The new plenum is not giving the desired results, not allowing to exploit the endothermic at 100%.

This is the type of thing that would be tested to death on the test rig/dyno. If they had said the packaging was causing an issue, or that do to an aero issue they weren't getting the proper amount of cooling, I could see that. Basically, if it was something that could only be validated on track as an entire package in real world conditions I could believe it. But something as specific and verifiable as the plenum isn't working as expected smells fishy to me.
197 104 103 7

proteus

El Scorchio wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 16:04
proteus wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 15:40
cooken wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 11:08

No your point is simple enough to understand, I just disagree. My opinion aligns with that of cheeRS, and I'm supplying some facts to back it up. Good drivers will push the limit further and risk mistakes in places with little or no consequences.
Since when is failing to corner correctly deemed as great skill? What i saw was that Lewis cracked under the pressure and locked up. If the track would be build to punish mistakes, he would have lost the lead or atleast a fair amount of time. Even Max would go off at some point. But what we have now are tracks that reward mistakemakers without losing too much time. No wonders modern F1 is so predictable in terms of driver and constructor titles.
If you're going to call lock ups in races mistakes, then the whole grid is equally guilty. All drivers make mistakes from time to time. Taking full advantage of allowed track limits is not making a mistake. It's using all the track legally available to you as you see fit. When it was outlawed mid race, he didn't do it any longer. That clearly indicates he wasn't doing it by mistake, otherwise he'd have continued doing it even after being told it was no longer ok. THAT would then be a mistake.
I wasnt talking about 29 times he drove over turn 4. That was the race controls fault since they are not fit to properly direct the race. I was talking about the lockuot that made him go off the track and how diferently would it end if the track would not be made as an airport. And slowly it is becoming frustrating to try to elaborate it, because you are still convinced i am saying this because i somehow dislike him. Let me repeat one more time: i highly dislike modern tracks where mistakes of drivers are unpunished since there are no gravel traps and no grass. And Lewis did a mistake. Luckely for him the track is designed in a way that drivers can continue without losing much time. It applies to all drivers. Can we move on now?
Last edited by proteus on 30 Mar 2021, 21:22, edited 1 time in total.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

zibby43
zibby43

dans79 wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 20:46

The tires issue i could see, but not the engine one.

This is the type of thing that would be tested to death on the test rig/dyno. If they had said the packaging was causing an issue, or that do to an aero issue they weren't getting the proper amount of cooling, I could see that. Basically, if it was something that could only be validated on track as an entire package in real world conditions I could believe it. But something as specific and verifiable as the plenum isn't working as expected smells fishy to me.
Yeah, the tires component is very convincing. The way the new rear tires deform is particularly difficult to model, which is why the data Pirelli provides is so critical. They’ve goofed before.

Definitely a good point about dyno testing, but re: the plenum, do you think that’s one of the problems that they referred to in the preseason video? Or can there be some unexpected issues that weren’t accounted for on the dyno when the bodywork is on and the air is actually flowing through the car/intake?

The silver lining in all of this for the team, is that it sounds like there can be lots of optimization on the existing aero/mechanical package before upgrades are even needed.

dans79

zibby43 wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 21:22
but re: the plenum, do you think that’s one of the problems that they referred to in the preseason video?
What video are you referring to?
zibby43 wrote:
Or can there be some unexpected issues that weren’t accounted for on the dyno when the bodywork is on and the air is actually flowing through the car/intake?
That's what I was referring to initially when i said a packaging/cooling issue. If this was the case, an engineer wouldn't say it's a problem with the plenum though, they would have called it a cooling issue, or an internal aerodynamics issue etc. The plenum not working as efficiently as expected would be a side effect, not the root cause.

zibby43 wrote:
The silver lining in all of this for the team, is that it sounds like there can be lots of optimization on the existing aero/mechanical package before upgrades are even needed.
yea, as much as the media and to a decent extent the teams themselves have made it sound, a lot of aero stuff isn't actually homogenized.
197 104 103 7

zibby43
zibby43

dans79 wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 22:03
zibby43 wrote:
but re: the plenum, do you think that’s one of the problems that they referred to in the preseason video?
zibby43 wrote:
Or can there be some unexpected issues that weren’t accounted for on the dyno when the bodywork is on and the air is actually flowing through the car/intake?
That's what I was referring to initially when i said a packaging/cooling issue. If this was the case, an engineer wouldn't say it's a problem with the plenum though, they would have called it a cooling issue, or an internal aerodynamics issue etc. The plenum not working as efficiently as expected would be a side effect, not the root cause.

zibby43 wrote:
yea, as much as the media and to a decent extent the teams themselves have made it sound, a lot of aero stuff isn't actually homogenized.
Here’s the video:

dans79

zibby43 wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 22:55
dans79 wrote:
zibby43 wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

zibby43 wrote:
Here’s the video:

https://youtu.be/6FPre_5qcmA

His statement is so vague, that he could be talking about almost anything. Not to mention as soon as he finished saying they have issues, he said they have plans in place to fix all the issues before the first race.

The thing that sticks out the most to me, is that before he talked about issues, he mentioned they'd already delivered PUs to customers. Given that, I'd assume the things that needed fixed were software/firmware issues. Hardware related issue would be a major problem this close to the beginning of the season, and would strain relationships with customers.
197 104 103 7

zibby43
zibby43

dans79 wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 23:26
zibby43 wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 22:55
dans79 wrote:

Here’s the video:

https://youtu.be/6FPre_5qcmA

His statement is so vague, that he could be talking about almost anything. Not to mention as soon as he finished saying they have issues, he said they have plans in place to fix all the issues before the first race.

The thing that sticks out the most to me, is that before he talked about issues, he mentioned they'd already delivered PUs to customers. Given that, I'd assume the things that needed fixed were software/firmware issues. Hardware related issue would be a major problem this close to the beginning of the season, and would strain relationships with customers.
Definitely vague. Andy Cowell is a tough act to follow, too!

zibby43
zibby43

Here is an interesting article from F1 analyzing Max and Lewis' qualifying laps:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... 0OnAd.html

Some informative excerpts:

2. Hamilton makes a mistake into Turn 10 which costs him approximately 0.3s to Verstappen. The balance of the Mercedes seems to be towards oversteer, as represented by Hamilton making several steering corrections.

3. Hamilton is using a different energy deployment strategy to Verstappen, stopping the deployment much earlier on the straights.

With the gap to pole ending up .388, the mistake made by Lewis suggests that the delta was potentially much closer because of the 3 tenths lost by Lewis.

On the subject of tire degradation, the Merc was very impressive in the final stint. Of course, it must be taken into account that Verstappen had a shorter final stint, and was able to push the tires harder.

Phil

proteus wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 21:17
I was talking about the lockuot that made him go off the track and how diferently would it end if the track would not be made as an airport.
It didnt exactly go unpunished. He lost time and momentum which resulted in Verstappen getting into his DRS immediately instead of a lap or two later. Had max been even closer at that point, the overtake would have likely been inevitable right there and then.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Jozsusz
Jozsusz

zibby43 wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 06:51
Here is an interesting article from F1 analyzing Max and Lewis' qualifying laps:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... 0OnAd.html

Some informative excerpts:

2. Hamilton makes a mistake into Turn 10 which costs him approximately 0.3s to Verstappen. The balance of the Mercedes seems to be towards oversteer, as represented by Hamilton making several steering corrections.

3. Hamilton is using a different energy deployment strategy to Verstappen, stopping the deployment much earlier on the straights.

With the gap to pole ending up .388, the mistake made by Lewis suggests that the delta was potentially much closer because of the 3 tenths lost by Lewis.

On the subject of tire degradation, the Merc was very impressive in the final stint. Of course, it must be taken into account that Verstappen had a shorter final stint, and was able to push the tires harder.

https://www.formula1.com/content/dam/fo ... /image.png
Well it's very good news then.
Merc don't have a big disadvantage, not even on 1 lap. So after they'll sort out their car, they can easily be number one again.