Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
zibby43

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

Longley wrote:
26 Mar 2021, 22:51
It might also be that Mercedes has something up its sleeve, with what is believed to be a super-cooling system within the inlet plenum for short bursts of extra power.

Source: https://the-race.com/formula-1/mark-hug ... ooks-like/

Interesting. About how many hoursepowers are we probably talking here?
And how are these extra horses deployed with a single engine mode?

flexcon

zibby43 wrote:
Longley wrote:
It might also be that Mercedes has something up its sleeve, with what is believed to be a super-cooling system within the inlet plenum for short bursts of extra power.

Are the drivers allowed to use overtake button? Maybe it’s a set parameter within overtake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zibby43

flexcon wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 00:36
zibby43 wrote:
Longley wrote:

Are the drivers allowed to use overtake button? Maybe it’s a set parameter within overtake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting. I know they use that for ERS deployment purposes.

MtthsMlw

Just throwing the paragraph from the tech regs in here
5.6.8 Engine plenum (as defined in line 4 of Appendix 2 to these regulations) air temperature must be more than ten degrees centigrade above ambient temperature. When assessing compliance, the temperature of the air will be the lap average recorded by an FIA approved and sealed sensor located in an FIA approved location situated in the engine plenum, during every lap of the qualifying practice session and the race. The first lap of the race, laps carried out whilst the safety car is deployed, laps with a time at least 20% greater than the fastest lap of the session, pit in and out laps and any laps that are obvious anomalies (as judged by the technical delegate) will not be used to assess the average temperature. The ambient temperature will be that recorded by the FIA appointed weather service provider. This information will also be displayed on the timing monitors.

pursue_one's

Mercedes W12: la nuova plenum camera altera negativamente il rendimento del motore endotermico
https://www.funoanalisitecnica.com/2021 ... sh_ce=8844

The new plenum is not giving the desired results, not allowing to exploit the endothermic at 100%.
This factor obviously also affects the electricity system, since it is possible to recover a smaller amount of energy than that foreseen in the simulations.

How do you think can be fixed within the rules?

zibby43

pursue_one's wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 12:03
Mercedes W12: la nuova plenum camera altera negativamente il rendimento del motore endotermico

The new plenum is not giving the desired results, not allowing to exploit the endothermic at 100%.
This factor obviously also affects the electricity system, since it is possible to recover a smaller amount of energy than that foreseen in the simulations.

Reliability fixes throughout the season are still allowed, correct?

Xwang

zibby43 wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 20:01
pursue_one's wrote:

Reliability fixes throughout the season are still allowed, correct?
It doesn't seem a reliability issue. It is not as efficient as hoped at design time (if true).

hUirEYExbN

pursue_one's wrote:

If it is indeed a problem, then I think the plenum is allowed updates?
§5.22 of the technical regulations and appendix 2?

zibby43

hUirEYExbN wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 21:24
pursue_one's wrote:

If it is indeed a problem, then I think the plenum is allowed updates?
§5.22 of the technical regulations and appendix 2?
The way I interpret that is that it’s a part that may be replaced without penalty (unlike the ICE, ES, etc.).

However, since the part meets that definition of replaceable, I’m guessing that you’re right, and thus it would therefore be upgradable.

PlatinumZealot

I don't buy that story.

Their advanced dyno should seen that issue. So if the problem is there then Mercedes already knew of it before the season started.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

hUirEYExbN

PlatinumZealot wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 23:30
I don't buy that story.

Their advanced dyno should seen that issue. So if the problem is there then Mercedes already knew of it before the season started.
You would think so. I wouldn't think this would be something that would change whether the engine is in the car or not.

Would the dustiness of the circuit make some difference and perhaps be something they didn't anticipate?

PlatinumZealot

hUirEYExbN wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 23:41
PlatinumZealot wrote:
I don't buy that story.

You would think so. I wouldn't think this would be something that would change whether the engine is in the car or not.

Would the dustiness of the circuit make some difference and perhaps be something they didn't anticipate?
For years teams have always brought special air filters for Bahrain for that reason. Even the in Naturally aspirated engine days.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

zibby43

PlatinumZealot wrote:
I don't buy that story.

I felt the same way, but in a recent article from The Race, it was implied that the issue was either discovered (or discovered to be worse than anticipated) during testing, and then improved for the first race:

“The Mercedes-engined teams have started the season with a small energy recovery limitation that the manufacturer’s Brixworth-based engine operation has already sought to improve since testing.”

Sevach

Posting this here just as curiosity.

gruntguru

I can still hear the cynics from ten years ago "F1 has never advanced the state of road car technology".
je suis charlie