2021 Aston Martin F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
fritticaldi

Re: 2021 Aston Martin F1 Team

Vettel has not been the same since Hockenheim 2018. If the car doesnt suit his driving style Vettel is useless. I think he may not finish the year.

Ground Effect

Even Edd Straw seems to be getting frustrated with Vettel
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Gothrek

Guys, it is his first race, with very limited testing, give the guy some time...

JordanMugen

Manoah2u wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 22:04
Vettel is still that same guy that made 4 WDC titles, and won a GP with Toro Rosso.
If Vettel is so good, why did he as a reigning champion immediately get beaten by 3 wins to 0, and 8 podiums to 4, by a youngster by the name of Ricciardo? If Vettel is the one famed for hustling the Red Bull as fast as possible, then what the heck happened, how could somebody else immediately be clearly faster!? It just doesn't add up!

If not for the Ferrari strategy at Singapore, 2019 would been a repeat of 3 wins to 0, this time against Leclerc.

It suggests that Vettel is not at the level of Ricciardo or Leclerc, and by extension Verstappen, Alonso, Hamilton etc.

Considering that Aston Martin could have put Alonso in the car, it could be that Vettel will leave laptime on the table and, despite being the "hired-gun multi-WDC lead driver", undermine the efforts of the entire Aston Martin team to optimise performance, just as Vettel did for Red Bull in 2014 and Ferrari in 2020. :|

Without Ricciardo, 2014 could have been a dismal winless year for Red Bull, and Red Bull might erroneously think their car is incapable of winning! :shock:

(Of course, Stroll's seat is non-negotiable, although a Alonso/Vettel pairing at Aston Martin would have been interesting to see for comparative purposes.)

Manoah2u wrote:
Vettel still is the one that got closest to Hamilton yet in getting a chance for the WDC in the hybrid era
They were not driving the same car! Rosberg bested Hamilton in the same car... It could be that the Ferrari was in fact superior, and Vettel was leaving laptime on the table compared to what Alonso, Ricciardo or Leclerc could do in that car, as Vettel's qualifying margin over Raikkonen was smaller than Alonso's...

Manoah2u wrote:
But all we had is one race weekend. Let's wait and see.
It's a lot more than one race weekend of lacklustre driving! See all the above. Vettel, to the contrary, has developed a pattern of being outperformed by faster teammates... If Vettel is a top driver who always hustles the car to the best possible laptime or thereabouts, then this would by definition be impossible.

The only possible explanation is Vettel is quite good but does not consistently achieve a vehicle's fastest possible laptime.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

diffuser

Well we all knew sending Perez away was a mistake, now it's confirmed by statistics. Perez is really the first of the drivers to switch teams to get the new car under them.

JordanMugen

Stroll again with an edge over Vettel -- i.e., Stroll performing the team leader role as expected -- though Vettel does seem to be improving. :)

PhillipM

Not exactly where you want your world champion high-pay signing though is it. Especially after Perez was so fast last year.
Well, maybe it is where you want your world champion if Dad's signing the cheques and can say "Hey, look, my son is faster than Vettel!" I guess.

NAPI10

AM looking a little bit competitive this weekend compare to Bahrain & testing.
Not sure if it's upgrades or just the nature of the circuit. Vettel mentioned somewhere, it seems the team has taken a step forward with few pieces they got.

godlameroso

If AM wants the rules to bend in order to improve their competitiveness, I have a proposal. Go ahead and re-design your chassis, while everyone's hands are tied, in turn you start every race from the pitlane for the rest of the season, deal?
Saishū kōnā

diffuser

godlameroso wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 16:34
If AM wants the rules to bend in order to improve their competitiveness, I have a proposal. Go ahead and re-design your chassis, while everyone's hands are tied, in turn you start every race from the pitlane for the rest of the season, deal?

Wasn't that the biggest joke though about the complain about the rule change ? Not sure what they are thinking. Even if that does get heard and they win, the chances that it happens before it's too late in the year are very short...I mean they want to put the rules back to what they were ?

NAPI10

diffuser wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 18:21
godlameroso wrote:

Wasn't that the biggest joke though about the complain about the rule change ? Not sure what they are thinking. Even if that does get heard and they win, the chances that it happens before it's too late in the year are very short...I mean they want to put the rules back to what they were ?
Otmar is making fool of himself & team by making these statements.
This team changed their name, worked on financial stability, attracted big brands, rope in champ driver (may not be in his prime), ect but kept the same ppl (some of them from Jordon era) to run core operations.
This team needs a Team Principal who is either a 'Task Master' or a 'Visionary'; Otmar is nither.He needs to be replaced if the team wants to move forward & challenge front runners anytime in the future.

diffuser

NAPI10 wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 20:18
diffuser wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 18:21
godlameroso wrote:

Otmar is making fool of himself & team by making these statements.
This team changed their name, worked on financial stability, attracted big brands, rope in champ driver (may not be in his prime), ect but kept the same ppl (some of them from Jordon era) to run core operations.
This team needs a Team Principal who is either a 'Task Master' or a 'Visionary'; Otmar is nither.He needs to be replaced if the team wants to move forward & challenge front runners anytime in the future.

Still think they'd be in alot better shape with Perez there but I'm probablt preeching to the Choire!

NAPI10

Aston Martin now 'pretty satisfied' with FIA handling of 2021 rules :D :D ....It seems Otmar days are counted -
https://f1i.com/news/402942-aston-marti ... rules.html

diffuser

NAPI10 wrote:
20 Apr 2021, 21:14
Aston Martin now 'pretty satisfied' with FIA handling of 2021 rules :D :D ....It seems Otmar days are counted -
https://f1i.com/news/402942-aston-marti ... rules.html
The car better make a come back for his sake.