2021 Pecking order prediction

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Phil

Re: 2021 Pecking order prediction

zeph wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 20:17
After digesting the race for a few days, my key takeaway is that Hamilton showed Verstappen he's still the boss; the way he defended was a statement, and I think Max got the message.

If it stays this close we're gonna be in for some fun.
I agree. This was also the first time when they duelled without something grander at stake, i.e. end of season when Hamilton was trying to seal a championship against Vettel or Bottas and had real points to lose.

Now, they are level and it will likely be either one of them for this years championship. Making statements now is crucial.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

dfegan358

Alpine totally focused on 2022 more than any team it seems.

Aston Martin could be set for tough year, don’t think they are slow as they looked in Bahrain though

Just_a_fan

Phil wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 20:49
zeph wrote:
After digesting the race for a few days, my key takeaway is that Hamilton showed Verstappen he's still the boss; the way he defended was a statement, and I think Max got the message.

I agree. This was also the first time when they duelled without something grander at stake, i.e. end of season when Hamilton was trying to seal a championship against Vettel or Bottas and had real points to lose.

Now, they are level and it will likely be either one of them for this years championship. Making statements now is crucial.
There's also the key difference that Max knows he's got a chance this year. Previously, he had nothing to lose by hardballing an opponent. This year, try to attack or defend too aggressively and he could lose the title. That's a big change and it's the first time in his car racing career. A big season for him.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

zeph

Just_a_fan wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 01:00
There's also the key difference that Max knows he's got a chance this year. Previously, he had nothing to lose by hardballing an opponent. This year, try to attack or defend too aggressively and he could lose the title. That's a big change and it's the first time in his car racing career. A big season for him.
Good point! He has matured a lot, I’m sure he understands he needs to take the long view now and not be too hotheaded.

Zynerji

zeph wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 01:24
Just_a_fan wrote:
Good point! He has matured a lot, I’m sure he understands he needs to take the long view now and not be too hotheaded.
It's almost scary to say, but it's like Max just hit his prime...😏

MKlaus

Just_a_fan wrote:
Phil wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 20:49
zeph wrote:

one problem for max is, he can't be a raging bull anymore by being in a championship contention. he would like to avoid any kind of aggressive moves and will be more careful. on the other hand, a 7 time world champion has nothing to lose while in this fight and would be more lethal in battles. lewis has the knack of putting his car in a difficult position for the other car and if the other car tries harder, it would result in a damage and blame actually goes to the other car. so in that sense, he is a potent even in offense. it is fascinating to see if max throws caution to the wind and goes for the battle or plays a safe long game. i hope he doesn't become a pu*** for the fear of losing title fight and goes hard.
it would be fascinating to see who wants to throw the towel on in-season development or would both teams slug it out without caring for 2022.

Schuttelberg

Schuttelberg wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 21:21
Mercedes
Red Bul
Ferrari
McLaren
Alpine
Alpha Tauri
Alfa Romeo
Aston Martin
Williams
Haas
How good is this?
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Herr_Koos

Schuttelberg wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 12:16
Schuttelberg wrote:
Mercedes
Red Bul
Ferrari
McLaren
Alpine
Alpha Tauri
Alfa Romeo
Aston Martin
Williams
Haas
How good is this?
Ferrari aren't quicker than McLaren based on what we've seen so far. I also don't think Alpine are ahead of Alpha Tauri. Then of course, the big debate is whether Merc are ahead of Red Bull. Most people seem to think not.
Overall though, going by Bahrain, you're definitely in the right ballpark.

foxmulder_ms

Schuttelberg wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:
Mercedes
Red Bul
Ferrari
McLaren
Alpine
Alpha Tauri
Alfa Romeo
Aston Martin
Williams
Haas
How good is this?
terrrrrible.. mine is better ;P

Hammerfist

Herr_Koos wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 13:51
Schuttelberg wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:
Mercedes
Red Bul
Ferrari
McLaren
Alpine
Alpha Tauri
Alfa Romeo
Aston Martin
Williams
Haas
How good is this?
Ferrari aren't quicker than McLaren based on what we've seen so far. I also don't think Alpine are ahead of Alpha Tauri. Then of course, the big debate is whether Merc are ahead of Red Bull. Most people seem to think not.
I think we need a few more tracks to see where the real pecking order is. Bahrain has been a good track for the Honda PU for whatever reason. There is not much between Ferrari and Mclaren from what I've seen. It will be interesting to see who develops more throughout the year between those two. I favor the one with the deeper pockets. Alfa Tauri was fast relative to the midfield in Bahrain. I'm not sure they will be as fast at Imola, and we may see Redbull not be as good there too. We shall see. Alpine and Aston Martin have been the big disappointments so far.

Schuttelberg

Herr_Koos wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:
Mercedes
Red Bul
Ferrari
McLaren
Alpine
Alpha Tauri
Alfa Romeo
Aston Martin
Williams
Haas
How good is this?
I get what you're saying. I think AT are right in the fight with McLaren & Ferrari. I also feel Mercedes were a match for the Red Bull on pace in the race. I also know for a fact that Lewis tends to start off slow in the season with the Quali's and he generally hits his peak after 3-4 races. Still feel Mercedes will dominate on neutral tracks and specially the high speed stuff. If you remove 2020, they've always been amongst it at slower tracks.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Herr_Koos

Hammerfist wrote:
02 Apr 2021, 02:52
Herr_Koos wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:

How good is this?
I think we need a few more tracks to see where the real pecking order is. Bahrain has been a good track for the Honda PU for whatever reason. There is not much between Ferrari and Mclaren from what I've seen. It will be interesting to see who develops more throughout the year between those two. I favor the one with the deeper pockets. Alfa Tauri was fast relative to the midfield in Bahrain. I'm not sure they will be as fast at Imola, and we may see Redbull not be as good there too. We shall see. Alpine and Aston Martin have been the big disappointments so far.
Deeper pockets are less of a factor with the budget cap. There's also the question of development potential. Ferrari have made an impressive step, but how much more can they wring out of this car?

Agree completely though that we need a few more races to get a proper picture. McLaren had some pretty significant performance swings last year, so that may happen again.

selvam_e2002

dfegan358 wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 21:33
Alpine totally focused on 2022 more than any team it seems.

Aston Martin could be set for tough year, don’t think they are slow as they looked in Bahrain though
Yes. It seems Alpine CEO confirmed that. They are doing the 2022 test in 2021 car. So we cannot expect any performance improvement from them. If they do, then it is fantastic.
http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/ ... _2022_car/
They also have huge update for Imola. Let see....

PlatinumZealot

zeph wrote:

The scene when they bumped fists after the race reminds me of the podium bahrain 2014 Lewis vs Nico. They were both amicable to each other, they had joy just from the thrill of battle, respect was mutually given, but soon, the full realization of what was at stake showed itself. A few races from now, Max won't be so friendly to congratulate Lewis anymore.

Lewis is playing like Alonso there too; making nice with his rival to soften him up psycologically. It might not work the same. Though Max is young, he learns fast. The cars will be equal at some stretch of races, It will be fun, but it wont be pretty.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

dren

PlatinumZealot wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 21:46
A few races from now, Max won't be so friendly to congratulate Lewis anymore.
He'll certainly be friendly because he'll be congratulating Lewis on his 2nd and 3rd place finishes.
Honda!