What drives Max Verstappen?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PlatinumZealot

What drives Max Verstappen?

Max Verstappen. Flying under the radar at least to the English speaking media. I'm still waiting on the English Version of his documentary by the way!

Ok, So to my point. I find him to be a very enigmatic character. I don't really understand what's his dealio?

In his seventh year now what really drives him? Does he want world peace? Or to smash all records to peices? Save the trees? Or smoke some trees? He's very reserved when it comes to his goals, never letting on much, not even to profess a win. He has shown some fire in some situations but is still quite reserved overall? Any Dutch fans can tell us who Max is and what he stands for and why is he so reserved?
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

El Scorchio

Re: What drives Max Verstappen?

PlatinumZealot wrote: โ†‘
02 Apr 2021, 07:08
Max Verstappen. Flying under the radar at least to the English speaking media. I'm still waiting on the English Version of his documentary by the way!

Ok, So to my point. I find him to be a very enigmatic character. I don't really understand what's his dealio?

In his seventh year now what really drives him? Does he want world peace? Or to smash all records to peices? Save the trees? Or smoke some trees? He's very reserved when it comes to his goals, never letting on much, not even to profess a win. He has shown some fire in some situations but is still quite reserved overall? Any Dutch fans can tell us who Max is and what he stands for and why is he so reserved?
Would be weird if it turns out heโ€™s actually not that interested and has just been massively bullied into all this by his dad.

If you play the audio from the doc backwards it just says โ€˜help meeeee...โ€™

Fulcrum

My guesses, at least with respect to his reservedness.
  • While his English is very good, he's more likely to be comfortable expressing himself in Nederlands.
  • His father has a bad reputation, so he is hyper aware of not transgressing to avoid any form of comparison.
  • He's just like most professional sports people, in the sense that he's been trained to liaise with the media, in his case from a very early age. Having a personality can be something for the media to pick at, which is just a distraction at this stage in his career.
  • I doubt he is 'woke'. Considering the culture that pervades modern society, anybody with a thought slightly to the Right of Left, especially those in highly public domains, often consider it prudent to stay silent rather than expressing themselves.
I think his motivation in life is fairly self-evident - become an F1 champion.

Were that to happen, he'd get more exposure, have a greater platform to communicate, possibly feel more comfortable opening up, as well as needing to define a wider set of goals for the rest of his life.

As he has yet to achieve this goal, the primary goal overrides everything else.

TimW

He is 23, so probably just at the point where he starts thinking about this himself

Tim.Wright

I remember when this forum contained primarily decent technical discussions.
Not the engineer at Force India

aMessageToCharlie

Tim.Wright wrote: โ†‘
02 Apr 2021, 13:12

Agree.

F1 is about seeing the the best drivers in the world compete in the best cars in the world.

If I want to see people's personal drama and pushing of political agendas, I watch netflix and mainstream news.

Jolle

At the moment a Honda engine.

Wouter

aMessageToCharlie wrote: โ†‘
02 Apr 2021, 13:19

Agree.

F1 is about seeing the the best drivers in the world compete in the best cars in the world.

If I want to see people's personal drama and pushing of political agendas, I watch netflix and mainstream news.
The Power of Dreams!

PlatinumZealot

Lol. We have ran low on those with the stiff regulations! Going into next year though, we will have some fun on the chassis side of things. Engines will be frozen too, so we will be getting some more photos and insights from the teams.

I am curious to know if you just entered this thread to send a boot in?
Last edited by PlatinumZealot on 02 Apr 2021, 14:53, edited 2 times in total.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

nzjrs

Jolle wrote: โ†‘
02 Apr 2021, 13:27
At the moment a Honda engine.
Dammit, beat me to it.

Sieper

Why do we always get these Max Verstappen topics? Might be just as interesting a question. It is usually not his fans opening them and not unoften it ends up in bash fest.

Hi Max, what drives you? (this sentence would be literally possible in Dutch "Hoi Max, wat rijd je" (Hi Max, what (car) do you drive?)
I drives a Honda.
Lewis drives a Mercedes. And when you drive a mercedes you are a star driver :-D

dans79

This is a discussion forum, and the general chat section at that. If people don't like the topic being discussed they should just not participate it. The No no no we can't talk about that cancel culture, is garbage!
197 104 103 7

Sieper

Care to explain what a cancel culture garbage is? Really hard to understand what you are on about. But that the tone us quite respectless is clear. And that is exactly what al, these previous threads have been about. Stomping and bashing and here we go again. But it seems I am free not te read it. Good.

dans79

Sieper wrote: โ†‘
02 Apr 2021, 16:39
Care to explain what a cancel culture garbage is?
It is when a segment of the population wants to prevent another segment of the population from saying or doing something, thats they don't personally agree with or condone. Usually it's aimed at an individual, but that's been changing rapidly over the last year.

I'm shocked you don't know the term, I thought everyone knew about it by now.

Edit:
A decent article on it.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/03/t-ma ... story.html
197 104 103 7

Sieper

I strive not to go into al these fashion terms. Internet has grown to be a place that brings out the worst. We have all these terms. A troll I understand, but there are many more I canโ€™t follow, or wonโ€™t. Flame baiting, cat something, cant remember any more terms but certainly when you are following a politics topic usually people have all these terms at hand.

I believe more in honousty. And (trying, not always succeeding) to understand the other and remain respectfull.

Is it actually possible to hide a topic here? I can block users but not topics right? I always click on the โ€œnew postsโ€

Edit here too, thanks for the link!