2022 pecking order speculation

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Who comes out on top in the new regs?

Mercedes
26%
Red Bull
23%
Ferrari
28%
McLaren
13%
Aston Martin
2%
Williams
2%
Haas
2%
Alfa Romeo
0%
Alpine
4%
Alpha Tauri
0%

Total votes: 446

raymondu999

2022 pecking order speculation

Honestly— nobody probably has a clue as to how it will be beyond educated guessing/speculation.

Im wondering what everyone thinks. Based on talent, based on adjusting to budgets, manpower, etc. and, of course facilities also have to be factored in.

For example I would wager a team like Merc, with their facilities could squeeze more out of the budget cap, compared to say Williams out of their facilities.

But it’s fun to speculate!! Thoughts?

PS — adding a poll to see who people think will come out on top!
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

El Scorchio

Re: 2022 pecking order speculation

raymondu999 wrote:
29 Mar 2021, 17:27
Honestly— nobody probably has a clue as to how it will be beyond educated guessing/speculation.

Im wondering what everyone thinks. Based on talent, based on adjusting to budgets, manpower, etc. and, of course facilities also have to be factored in.

For example I would wager a team like Merc, with their facilities could squeeze more out of the budget cap, compared to say Williams out of their facilities.

it is surely way, way too early to even guess. Any team on the grid could spring a 'Brawn' and surprise everyone. Other than that you just have to go with the rough pecking order of the last few years on the assumption the strongest teams will continue to be the strongest teams and adapt best to the rule changes

raymondu999

El Scorchio wrote:
29 Mar 2021, 17:52
raymondu999 wrote:

it is surely way, way too early to even guess. Any team on the grid could spring a 'Brawn' and surprise everyone. Other than that you just have to go with the rough pecking order of the last few years on the assumption the strongest teams will continue to be the strongest teams and adapt best to the rule changes
Of course! But it's fun to speculate. With all the factors etc
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

El Scorchio

raymondu999 wrote:
29 Mar 2021, 18:23
El Scorchio wrote:
29 Mar 2021, 17:52
raymondu999 wrote:

Of course! But it's fun to speculate. With all the factors etc
True! Well in that case I'm going to say Mercedes and Red Bull will be 1 and 2 but I don't know in what order.
Haas, Williams and Alfa at the back.
Alpha Tauri to take quite a step back from this season as Red Bull will use them as a test team.
Aston to take a step back because they'll have to take a different approach to this and last season.
Ferrari will be incredibly boom or bust and may make a lot of changes. (Alfa will be their test team)
Alpine (sorry) to not do a particularly good job.
McLaren to be the big wild card. I'm going to say they end up third, mainly because I want them to, and they've got a lot of good ingredients now.

Hoffman900

I think the order stays the same, field spread is tighter, but that just makes it look closer on paper, not that it actually is closer.

Max said it best. The top teams have the best talent. That goes from engineering, to management, to everything else.

Any racing we’ve been a part of, the same people win regardless of rule changes. The only thing that changes that is when people leave (get poached to another team) or retire.

zeph

Alonso WDC#3

Hey, I can hope...

hurril

I want Red Bull to win, but I think that Mercedes and Hamilton are simply too good.

Jambier

In 2008 the two teams who fought for victory missed completely the 2009 change

In 2013 the ultra dominating RB and Vettel had an awful next season so:

-2021: RB and Mercedes pushing for title! Plus CFD limitation and budget cap, they may do all in 2021 and miss 2022

- Aston and Haas and AT will have to build their own new car. I think it will be a bit difficult

- Ferrari, Alpine and McLaren, they are of course the one with the best chance of a big improvement ´. I expect those 3 to highly progress and spent their 2021 season working on 2022

Of course we could have a « Brawn » with someone finding a loophole

raymondu999

Jambier wrote:
04 Apr 2021, 23:10
- Aston and Haas and AT will have to build their own new car. I think it will be a bit difficult
With the state Haas is currently I think they’re basically sort of a B team de facto of Ferrari now. I’m curious though. AT and Aston has tons of experience at their own car builds, even in recent times.
- Ferrari, Alpine and McLaren, they are of course the one with the best chance of a big improvement ´. I expect those 3 to highly progress and spent their 2021 season working on 2022
McLaren and Alpine I agree, though on balance of the first race + the last 2 years I would instinctively tip the balance to Woking. Ferrari I’m not sure though. Ferrari have always leant on their safety net of having the biggest budget, which they won’t have anymore. So there are obviously going to be question marks there. Especially with having to adjust to downsizing.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

raymondu999

To clarify — I’m not saying Aston/AT will build top cars, generally they have not designed top cars on their own strength as of yet. But yea
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

DChemTech

raymondu999 wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 05:11
To clarify — I’m not saying Aston/AT will build top cars, generally they have not designed top cars on their own strength as of yet. But yea
Given the resources that were available to the team, Force India has been punching above its weight for many years (prior to copying the Mercedes design). Hence, I would not be surprised if Aston is capable of designing a good car by themselves with new regulations and a budget that is not too far off the frontrunners.

Jambier

You are right I forgot that Ferrari has everything to prove to build a great car with little money.

AT and Aston can do it for sure we know that.

At the end of the day, only three teams will have to reduce their budget isn’t it?

raymondu999

Jambier wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 13:44
You are right I forgot that Ferrari has everything to prove to build a great car with little money.

AT and Aston can do it for sure we know that.

At the end of the day, only three teams will have to reduce their budget isn’t it?
Is it only 3? I honestly don’t know. Renault surely too no?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

raymondu999

DChemTech wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 10:28
raymondu999 wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 05:11
Given the resources that were available to the team, Force India has been punching above its weight for many years (prior to copying the Mercedes design). Hence, I would not be surprised if Aston is capable of designing a good car by themselves with new regulations and a budget that is not too far off the frontrunners.
Yeah. They had some stat (pre bankruptcy) where FIndia had what was probably the biggest points earned vs dollar invested ratio. Which is a useful stat to have in this current budgeted age
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Santozini

From the top 3 (Merc, Redbull and Ferrari), Ferrari is the one that will get more wind-tunnel time, plus, has literally nothing to gain in 2021.. Could be a "surprise" for 2022