[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2020 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2020 (Grand Prix Cars)

Hi everybody.

I'm sorry to have to give you bad news about the awards. I had some 3D models printed in 1:24 scale with very bad results. I then changed supplier and switched to 1:18 scale, but the result is still bad (despite having substantially remodeled the cars, considering that the geometry was not that clean). The only way to achieve acceptable reproductions would be to switch to a scale of 1: 8 or to start from a very clean STEP model, but the costs are far too high (also considering the failed tests), at least for this year. Maybe in 2021 I will think about a solution.

I therefore decided to replace 3D printing with the alternative "coin" prize. One of the two winners (2018 and 2020) has already been contacted and will receive the prize today (2x100€), the other (2019, best rookie) will be contacted shortly (I have an old email address, if you did not receive my email today, please send me a MP from this forum).

I apologize for the wait, unfortunately 3 online printing services, after accepting the order, gave up after many weeks or provided "indecent" 3D prints.

EDIT: Here is the report with the critical thickness.

https://www.caedevice.net/SERVER/MVRC/2 ... ckness.jpg

In the future only parametric models (Solidworks, FreeCAD, Creo) or clean STEP with minimum thickness 1mm will be considered for printing, I am very sorry but models created with SketchUp are almost impossible to adapt if they are not already compliant (money prize option is confirmed anyway), especially if they inlcude "bad" geometry areas.

CAEdevice

Ok, now al the delayed prices have been delivered, we are ready to sponsor MVRC2021

Ft5fTL

I will upload this beast to Steam Workshop if anyone interested to drive it on rFactor 2. Before that i need a confirmation about the wind speed we are using on our championship. If i remember correctly it was 40 m/s.

Edit: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2409759309
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

MaccaRacing

Hi guys! How are you? Does anybody know something about new MVRC Rules?

etsmc

MaccaRacing wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 20:10
Hi guys! How are you? Does anybody know something about new MVRC Rules?
Looking forward to this too when it happens, seeing all the new F1 cars launch at the moment is making me keen to get going on this if it happens again. [-o<

Also anyone know what happened with mantiumflow and I am guessing OpenGL as I can no longer run it on a Virtual Machine #-o

LegendaryM

Yes I'd potentially be interested too. Something roughly based on the 2022 F1 aero regs would be interesting, potentially with a bit more design freedom.
MRVC: Tolo Racing

CAEdevice

I think I may try this challenge in 2021

etsmc

CAEdevice wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 10:05
I think I may try this challenge in 2021
I think your statement is missing a couple of words...

"I think I may try to win this challenge in 2021"

Alonso Fan

Interested in making a comeback. I've learned so much more about f1 aero since last time. But learning is one thing and putting into practice is another.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

spacehead3

So has anyone tried to run the geometry from the leaked Willams app yet? Just downloaded it and it looks pretty detailed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DHExchange/com ... urce=share
Max Taylor

variante

spacehead3 wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 14:35
So has anyone tried to run the geometry from the leaked Willams app yet? Just downloaded it and it looks pretty detailed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DHExchange/com ... urce=share
Yeah, i was just talking to jjn about it. I did run a few CFDs on the Williams, and cross tested a few things with my MVRC car.

Fairly interesting stuff, but nothing out of this world. To me, the most impressive part is how much performance they can extract from the floor leading edge.
By the way, if the Williams competed in the Mantium Challenge, it would NOT win races (of course it's bound to the strict F1 regulations, but still...). Goes to show that the level of this competition is respectably high.

Let me know if you're interested in some sneak peeks.

spacehead3

variante wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 15:29
By the way, if the Williams competed in the Mantium Challenge, it would NOT win races (of course it's bound to the strict F1 regulations, but still...). Goes to show that the level of this competition is respectably high.
True, although I think that a lot of the performance of the Williams will be lost in the MVRC template. The L/D for our best cars is still quite a bit lower than I would expect for a real F1 car.
Max Taylor

MaccaRacing

What about ride-heights (pitch and heave) and tire geometry used for the Williams simulations?

variante

spacehead3 wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 22:20
I think that a lot of the performance of the Williams will be lost in the MVRC template. The L/D for our best cars is still quite a bit lower than I would expect for a real F1 car.
But who knows how much our cars could gain with F1 settings...

MaccaRacing wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 22:28
What about ride-heights (pitch and heave) and tire geometry used for the Williams simulations?
From the suspensions position it could be understood that Williams runs about 2 degrees of rake.
I did my tests with 1 degree, which should be expected under some aero load. Ground clearance is the same used in MVRC, which might explain part of the lost performance of that F1 car.

spacehead3

variante wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 01:14
But who knows how much our cars could gain with F1 settings...
For sure, as you mention we have less restrictive rules and could probably do better than a real F1...But without additional development I suspect your car for example would probably get a bit better, whereas the Williams would get a lot better.
variante wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 01:14
Ground clearance is the same used in MVRC, which might explain part of the lost performance of that F1 car.
Also a good point. I really wanted to do a full ride height map but my car kinda sucked so I didn't bother lol. Maybe this year I'll do it.
Max Taylor