2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

SmallSoldier wrote:
05 Apr 2021, 19:22
Since there weren’t many updates during the last race, the expectation would be for a few to be installed for Imola, since that would be roughly 5 weeks from testing.

The team not been loud about it is good, keeping a low profile :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I thought they had a new engine cover for the FP3/quali of the last race.... That cover goes much lower than anything they'd show before

Emag

In terms of aero this car looks quite complete to be honest, I can't think of what can they bring as an update. The only area that looks somewhat "simplistic" compared to the top is the floor. The floor is quite a sensitive part of the car though, so unless a floor upgrade was planned since before Bahrain, I don't think it's plausible to expect it in Imola.

mclaren111

I agree... Most probably minor tweeks to what we have & track specific... Maximize the package & get the balance & setup right for every track...

Start work on 2022 asap...

Ground Effect

mclaren111 wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 12:12
I agree... Most probably minor tweeks to what we have & track specific... Maximize the package & get the balance & setup right for every track...

How about the front wing? I believe there’s still work to do in that area, which could lead to more updates on the barge boards as well.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mclaren111

Ground Effect wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 13:30
mclaren111 wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 12:12

How about the front wing? I believe there’s still work to do in that area, which could lead to more updates on the barge boards as well.

Possible... But surely it won't be Big / Dramatic changes due to 2022...

diffuser

What makes everyone think they can't improve the air flow on the floor in front of the rear tires ?

mwillems

Won't they be able to work on how they can seal the floor better? I'd be surprised if they don't already have knowledge of how to improve that particular area.

In terms of Aero, they can be much more aggressive with he packaging. When you look how much tighter the RB and Merc are over the engine then surely there is time to be found from both less drag and more airflow going to the rear. Obviously we can't do that until next year, but it is at least reassuring to know that there is a chunk of time to be found.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

diffuser

mwillems wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 21:08
Won't they be able to work on how they can seal the floor better? I'd be surprised if they don't already have knowledge of how to improve that particular area.

In terms of Aero, they can be much more aggressive with he packaging. When you look how much tighter the RB and Merc are over the engine then surely there is time to be found from both less drag and more airflow going to the rear. Obviously we can't do that until next year, but it is at least reassuring to know that there is a chunk of time to be found.

Regulations are completely different next year. The only thing not changing is the halo.
Front wing, brakes, rims, tires, bardgeboards, sidepods, rear wing,floor and wheelbase all changing.

the EDGE

diffuser wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 04:15
mwillems wrote:

Regulations are completely different next year. The only thing not changing is the halo.
Front wing, brakes, rims, tires, bardgeboards, sidepods, rear wing,floor and wheelbase all changing.
You forgot the suspension systems, it’s one of the biggest changes under the new regs, no more hydraulics, only basics spring & damper systems can be used

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 04:15
mwillems wrote:

Yeah they are, ground effect is coming back is the headline I think. But won't shrinking the packaging around the engine be a universal win for Mclaren?

Even in the new regs better airflow to the rear and less drag equals benter speed potential i think?
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Emag

How is McLaren planning to handle the budget cap? Are they not affected by it, or will they have to let people go / transfer them to other departments.

mclaren111

Emag wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 10:43
How is McLaren planning to handle the budget cap? Are they not affected by it, or will they have to let people go / transfer them to other departments.

I've read a while ago that a couple of people were moved to Indycar & Automotive and thus the effect wasn't very big...

RB was apparently hit quite hard by loss of personell...

the EDGE

mclaren111 wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 11:01
Emag wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 10:43

I've read a while ago that a couple of people were moved to Indycar & Automotive and thus the effect wasn't very big...

RB was apparently hit quite hard by loss of personell...
McLaren operated around the level of the budget cap, may be a little more, you have to remember that not all costs are covered by the budget cap, things like driver salary, marketing etc are not controlled

I did read however McLaren did make redundancies last year, how many and where from I am not aware

Lucky

_cerber1

McLaren closer to Mercedes
The bottom line is that McLaren is number three. World Cup points are awarded on Sunday and not on Saturday. Head of Technology James Key stated with satisfaction: "We have reached the first stage goal, are one lap closer to Mercedes and have kept the gap to Red Bull. We would have dreamed of starting positions six and seven two years ago."

18 points in the race were the reward for an intense winter. McLaren is the only team that has changed the engine. And because of the token rule, with certain restrictions, I had to compensate for the downforce required by the rules. The opponents had more freedom.

In a direct comparison with its predecessor, the MCL35M has preserved its strengths and reduced its weaknesses. "We are still good on the straights and in fast corners. Our cars have always been strong on the brakes as well. We still have to work on the slow corners. We see improvements in certain areas, but we still lose too much compared to the Red Bull" compares Key.

In the meantime, by the way, it has also been established why Daniel Ricciardo could not keep up with team-mate Lando Norris' pace in the race. During the inspection of the car, the mechanics discovered that the underbody was damaged after contact with Gasly in the restart phase. "That demanded a lot of downforce. Thanks to his experience, Daniel was able to handle it and still score important points," praised Seidl.

From AMuS