2021 FIM MotoGP WC

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
etusch

Re: 2021 FIM MotoGP WC

Andres125sx wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 09:12
Ducati on a different league engine wise. It must be extremelly frustrating to be in the position of any of the Yamaha or Suzuki riders (apart from Quartararo), overtaking in the corners assuming some risks, to only be flypassed at the straight again easily
I don't want to downplay Ducati's engine job but I don't think their engine is so special. They don't have so much power advantage over Honda or Ktm but Yamaha especially Suzuki is not that good at max speed. So When I compare them to Honda, with longer chassis, more space for 90 degree vee etc, I don't think they do a special job.
As I said I don't want to downplay it and if someone prove that Ducati has a special engine, I can accept it.

NathanOlder

Ducati have been great on the straights for so long now. Qatar is certainly a strong track for them.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

etusch

NathanOlder wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 14:29
Ducati have been great on the straights for so long now. Qatar is certainly a strong track for them.
...and they couldn't win even one of 2 Qatar races.

Cuky

I don't think that it is all down to some "special" engine. I think it is more down to the bike as a whole. Since last year they are able to use holeshot device on the exit of corners, basically making the bike less prone to wheelies on hard accleeration. Then aerodynamics where Ducati has been a king for the past 5-6 years. I can't find a picture anywhere now, but I can swear I saw one on Instagram from one of pre-season test days where they had almost completely enclosed rear wheel rim, akin to a style used on a wheel barrow. They are pushing their aero development and it pays dividends on the straight. Their problem though is that tracks do have turns, some even lots of them. I mean, they were 2-4 tenths down on Yamahas in qualifying at sector 3, only to pull in front at the finish line.

n_we1ss

NathanOlder wrote:Ducati have been great on the straights for so long now. Qatar is certainly a strong track for them.
etusch wrote:...and they couldn't win even one of 2 Qatar races.
IMO Qatar races leave a lot to be desired because we're yet to see the best from the rest of the grid. And performances from opening races doesn't entirely set the tone for the rest of the season (if championships are crowned in the opening race, Dovi & any factory Yamaha riders in the recent years would've been world champions).

Mugello & Red Bull Ring are where most want to see the Ducati rockets flying.

Last edited by n_we1ss on 06 Apr 2021, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.

Cuky

n_we1ss wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 17:53
Mugello & Red Bull Ring are where most want to see the Ducati rocket flying.
And they probably will. But that's 2/19 planned races this season and if that is what they're basing their title hopes on then they're going to be scratching their heads at the end of the season.

As for now Suzuki and Yamaha (at least factory Yamaha team) seem to be quite consistent. Consistently slow on straights, but fast everywhere else and keeping their tires fresh for the end of the race. Aprilia and KTM look like they aren't really consistent, almost like their performance around the track changes lap by lap and then riders don't have predictable bikes to push.

What looks great for a championship fight is that Honda is nowhere. If Marc is not on top of his game when he comes back, and I expect he'll need few GPs to get back into it, then we could have interesting championship until the end. Though even Marc at his best will probably not have an easy stroll through the championship on current RC213V

etusch

Cuky wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 20:56

What looks great for a championship fight is that Honda is nowhere.
I think this is wrong. Compare #6's performance last year to this year. He is better. #44 also said that they have good pace but can not get good results because of starting positions. #44 was not far away from leading pack until he make a mistake. What that mean is if there were #93, that gap is not an important gap. It looks like ( to me at least ) Honda is best bike out there. (the bike looks like it keeps it's front end issue).
In fact it was best last year too. If #93 were there last year would finish all race domination of MM.

NathanOlder

etusch wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 22:59
Cuky wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 20:56

What looks great for a championship fight is that Honda is nowhere.
I think this is wrong. Compare #6's performance last year to this year. He is better. #44 also said that they have good pace but can not get good results because of starting positions. #44 was not far away from leading pack until he make a mistake. What that mean is if there were #93, that gap is not an important gap. It looks like ( to me at least ) Honda is best bike out there. (the bike looks like it keeps it's front end issue).
In fact it was best last year too. If #93 were there last year would finish all race domination of MM.
Honda the best bike out there ?! No way, Marquez is certainly the best rider, well pre 2020, who knows now. The likes of Pedrosa, Lorenzo, Crutchlow are not bad riders. Nakagami & A.Marquez are not up to it maybe. But the bike is not the best bike out there. Marc carries the bike over the last few years. Honda need Marquez far more than Marc needs Honda. Its the same story as 2003-2004 with Honda and Rossi in my opinion.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

etusch

Rider makes big difference at bike but think that winner bike is same with Rossi's bike who was between last finishers. So will we say that Rossi is showed Yamaha's real pace but Quartararo and Vinales make it look better than how it is in reality ? Comparing riders to riders, experience to experience and bikes user friendlyness, I think I can say that what I've said. But this kind of things can not be decided in forums, not even on tracks because of different point of views.
We just had two races made in same track and different tracks may give us clearer picture. I am confident that my claim will defend itself.

NathanOlder

etusch wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 14:31
Rider makes big difference at bike but think that winner bike is same with Rossi's bike who was between last finishers. So will we say that Rossi is showed Yamaha's real pace but Quartararo and Vinales make it look better than how it is in reality ? Comparing riders to riders, experience to experience and bikes user friendlyness, I think I can say that what I've said. But this kind of things can not be decided in forums, not even on tracks because of different point of views.
We just had two races made in same track and different tracks may give us clearer picture. I am confident that my claim will defend itself.
Rossi is nowhere near his best now, he is just showing its only his name keeping him in the paddock, not his pace. Pol, Bradl and even Alex Marquez may not be in the elite level of riders, but they are plenty good enough to win races if they had the best bike. But they dont. in 2019 (when Marquez had his last full season), 4 other riders got on a Honda at some point. Combining all their points wouldn't have beaten Dovi on the Ducati. There's no way Honda have the best bike. Thats been clear for a good 2 or 3 years. If Marquez doesn't come back at 100%, Honda are screwed.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

etusch

etusch

NathanOlder wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 15:51

Rossi is nowhere near his best now, he is just showing its only his name keeping him in the paddock, not his pace. Pol, Bradl and even Alex Marquez may not be in the elite level of riders, but they are plenty good enough to win races if they had the best bike. But they dont. in 2019 (when Marquez had his last full season), 4 other riders got on a Honda at some point. Combining all their points wouldn't have beaten Dovi on the Ducati. There's no way Honda have the best bike. Thats been clear for a good 2 or 3 years. If Marquez doesn't come back at 100%, Honda are screwed.
As you know first 15 riders were in 9 sec. So bikes looks closer to each other. So I don't think gap is good enough to give these riders a win. But I expect a win from 44 in some point. He just had his 2nd race.

etusch

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

etusch

Wouter wrote:
10 Apr 2021, 09:41
Great news. They say they are happy with his arm condition.