2021 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, Apr 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
El Scorchio

Re: 2021 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, Apr 16 - 18

proteus wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 07:40
El Scorchio wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 15:38
Wouter wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 13:42
Interesting one this. It's a no brainer that all UK domestic sport is rearranging it's plans for the weekend, but I am slightly surprised F1 is, especially given the race is in another country, although it is a lovely sign of respect.
There is one flaw - a red flag. If it happens, it can stretch qualifying well into the timeframe of burial ceremony.
Very true! I guess that just can't be helped. Could lead to a few arguments in a few UK households!

MKlaus
MKlaus

dxpetrov wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 08:43
proteus wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:

Interesting one this. It's a no brainer that all UK domestic sport is rearranging it's plans for the weekend, but I am slightly surprised F1 is, especially given the race is in another country, although it is a lovely sign of respect.
There is one flaw - a red flag. If it happens, it can stretch qualifying well into the timeframe of burial ceremony.
They will probably postpone the burial as they seem so interconnected and dependant of each other. #-o
what's the big deal here? a dignitary passing away happens everywhere. is it such an issue to alter the race weekend and worry about sessions getting elongated for red flag reasons? f1 doesn't pay heed to human rights issues across globe and goes racing in countries with questionabe human rights credentials, but are empathetic to an individual's demise?

mclaren111

Motorsportweek:
The sole DRS zone at Imola, venue for Formula 1’s Emilia Romagna Grand Prix, has been extended for this weekend’s event.
For 2021 the detection point has been moved to 20 metres before Rivazza 1 while the new activation point has been placed 60 metres prior to the Turn 19 kink that precedes the control line.

Should help a bit with overtaking... :D :D

NathanOlder

mclaren111 wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 15:30
Motorsportweek:
The sole DRS zone at Imola, venue for Formula 1’s Emilia Romagna Grand Prix, has been extended for this weekend’s event.
For 2021 the detection point has been moved to 20 metres before Rivazza 1 while the new activation point has been placed 60 metres prior to the Turn 19 kink that precedes the control line.

So how much longer is the DRS activation zone ? Last season could have been 55 metres before the Turn 19 kink , anyone know where it was last year ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

NathanOlder wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 16:57
mclaren111 wrote:
Motorsportweek:

So how much longer is the DRS activation zone ? Last season could have been 55 metres before the Turn 19 kink , anyone know where it was last year ?
This from the Formula 1 website for the 2020 race placing the DRS activation line after the finish line (the control line) and after the T19 kink:

60m before the kink preceding the control line would put it somewhere near the pit entrance.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

SiLo

El Scorchio wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 12:57
proteus wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:

Very true! I guess that just can't be helped. Could lead to a few arguments in a few UK households!
This will be because the international feed is the Sky UK feed. If the UK feed is moved, so is everywhere else.
Felipe Baby!

NathanOlder

Just_a_fan wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 17:04
NathanOlder wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 16:57
mclaren111 wrote:
Motorsportweek:

This from the Formula 1 website for the 2020 race placing the DRS activation line after the finish line (the control line) and after the T19 kink:

https://www.formula1.com/content/dam/fo ... /image.png

60m before the kink preceding the control line would put it somewhere near the pit entrance.
A fair bt longer then. Makes it more interesting, just hopefully not too easy to cruise by another car.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

zibby43
zibby43

mkay wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 11:42
From AMuS' preview:
Imola is one of the power tracks on the racing calendar. According to Mercedes, only two other racetracks show a higher percentage of full throttle this year. From the exit of the last corner to the first braking point before corner two, the engines run under full load for around 15 seconds. Anyone who has too little power here and drives with wings that are too big will be punished.
Interesting - I wasn't expecting this. Honda could further stretch its legs if Merc hasn't fixed its derating issues...
Red Bull's lead could be even bigger in Imola. The Italian route is smoother and faster than Bahrain. The fast changes of direction in the chicanes and the high-speed sequences in the middle sector should taste particularly good to the stable and predictable RB16B.
I think this is expected, unless Merc makes a sizeable jump in improving the W12 balance. AMuS also states no meaningful upgrades for RB/Merc, only package optimisation.
Merc has 0 problems with high-speed corners in and of themselves. They're neck-and-neck in RB in terms of pure outright pace/downforce in terms of cornering.

It's interconnected corners of varying speeds that expose the balance problems.

Also, if Merc had to run the ICE conservatively in Bahrain due to cooling issues (an ever-present Mercedes issue), and that was one of the contributing factors to the derating, the much cooler ambient temperatures could help this weekend.

All that being said, I still expect RBR to be the favorite.

Capharol
Capharol

this is how it looks on Sunday 18th at 13 PM (UTC) on the weatherradar i use:

proteus

dxpetrov wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 08:43
proteus wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:

They will probably postpone the burial as they seem so interconnected and dependant of each other. #-o
All i wanted to point out is that the postpontment is basically worthless if something like this happens......
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

proteus

El Scorchio wrote:
proteus wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:

To me as a non brit, its not important either. All i wanted to point out is, how pointless this is basically, especially if by some reason qualifying lasts well over that timeframe.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

zibby43
zibby43

Cutting it close on resurfacing the entry to the pit lane lol! (via Albert Fabrega)

If it does rain, I almost want to guarantee it could get spicy for someone at the pit entrance during the race.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

proteus wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 19:04
El Scorchio wrote:
proteus wrote:

To me as a non brit, its not important either. All i wanted to point out is, how pointless this is basically, especially if by some reason qualifying lasts well over that timeframe.
To many Brits it isn't that big a deal. A good old boy, Philip, and many of us liked him, but he "just" was the Queen's husband, not the King. I think that when the Queen dies, there will be a much bigger deal made of it and the country will definitely be more affected.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

zibby43 wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 19:07
Cutting it close on resurfacing the entry to the pit lane lol! (via Albert Fabrega)

If it does rain, I almost want to guarantee it could get spicy for someone at the pit entrance during the race.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ey8n4wXWQAc ... name=large
Brand new tarmac and then rain? That's going to end someone's race weekend, no doubt.

BosF1
BosF1

Gotta love Italian punctuality: resurfacing bits of the track 2 whole days prior to racing there :lol: :lol: