New Jeddah circuit

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
LM10

Re: New Jeddah circuit

FW17 wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 05:00
LM10 wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 21:03
MKlaus wrote:
21 Mar 2021, 11:31
there are no close barriers like the simulated video from f1 had been posted. the renderings look more like a traditional racing circuit with run off areas, albeit fast and different in layout. i remember baku was dismissed with similar disdain even before a car was raced there. it wouldn't be wise to have those opinions even before a race is held.
on another note, i would take this fast street circuit layout anyday compared to a australia, monaco or a singapore borefest where a race is won mostly on saturdays.
All three pictures show the same spot. The simulated video does show those run-off areas as well. The close barriers are there on the cgi rendering too, exactly like in the video.
Why are close barriers a problem? They are a feature of every street race.
It’s not about the barriers. I just don’t see the reason of adding another tightly designed street circuit to the calendar. There’s only one which enables overtaking and it’s Baku because of the never-ending straight - which the Jeddah circuit does not feature.
We all know the reason we have a track in this country now and it’s surely not quality racing.

kalinka

FW17 wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 05:00
LM10 wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 21:03
MKlaus wrote:
21 Mar 2021, 11:31
there are no close barriers like the simulated video from f1 had been posted. the renderings look more like a traditional racing circuit with run off areas, albeit fast and different in layout. i remember baku was dismissed with similar disdain even before a car was raced there. it wouldn't be wise to have those opinions even before a race is held.
on another note, i would take this fast street circuit layout anyday compared to a australia, monaco or a singapore borefest where a race is won mostly on saturdays.
All three pictures show the same spot. The simulated video does show those run-off areas as well. The close barriers are there on the cgi rendering too, exactly like in the video.
Why are close barriers a problem? They are a feature of every street race.
Yeah, I like close barrier tracks. It can actually punish errors , not like the endless-runoff tilkedromes. It's more flowing than start-stop, so going very close to the barriers gains you time. You have to have big balls to go fast here. Much like Singapore, but not so narrow. There are plenty of worse tracks in calendar sadly ( Sochi...OMG ).

FW17

LM10 wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 12:14

It’s not about the barriers. I just don’t see the reason of adding another tightly designed street circuit to the calendar. There’s only one which enables overtaking and it’s Baku because of the never-ending straight - which the Jeddah circuit does not feature.
We all know the reason we have a track in this country now and it’s surely not quality racing.

I dont think you understand the scale of the circuit, The circuit is 3 km from end to end.

The first section is very fast, the snake just like COTA, everyone loves that.
The run back from the loop at the end is almost all straight with one small braking point.

kalinka

Yeah, it will be the second longest after SPA. It's 6.1km long.

NathanOlder

If its 3km end to end, and 6.1km long, that makes it a paperclip shape , like Martinsville ? :lol:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

PlatinumZealot

Jeddah sounds like something out of Star Wars so I have very, very high expectations of this race!!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

hUirEYExbN

PlatinumZealot wrote:
12 Apr 2021, 17:17
Jeddah sounds like something out of Star Wars so I have very, very high expectations of this race!!
"Now this is pod racing." etc.

FW17

For starters they could have coloured asphalt like Monaco pitlane, just to show they spent more on everything

foxmulder_ms

This looks like a monster.. in good way. Reminds me Spa. I have a good feeling about this.

Andres125sx

I see it as a record breaker. It will instantly enter the Monaco/Montmelo category of tracks, processional race with no overtakings at all wich allows the race leader to be around 8 seconds per lap slower than possible because none will even try to overtake

Racing in this kind of tracks is simply pointless

MKlaus

Andres125sx wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 08:53
I see it as a record breaker. It will instantly enter the Monaco/Montmelo category of tracks, processional race with no overtakings at all wich allows the race leader to be around 8 seconds per lap slower than possible because none will even try to overtake

around 15 seconds of long start/finish straight, with cars arriving through a hair pin like in Canada, doesn't aid overtaking? by the time the car reaches the hair pin, it would have burnt off all the ERS in the long, fast flowy section and vulnerable for an overtake on start straight, somewhat similar to Malaysia's back straight leading to start straight with an almost given opportunity of overtaking with a hair pin.

FW17

Andres125sx wrote:

You would say there would be no overtaking in an Oval track too.

Andres125sx

FW17 wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 11:00
Andres125sx wrote:

You would say there would be no overtaking in an Oval track too.
No I wouldn´t, would you?

Andres125sx

MKlaus wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 09:01
Andres125sx wrote:

around 15 seconds of long start/finish straight, with cars arriving through a hair pin like in Canada, doesn't aid overtaking? by the time the car reaches the hair pin, it would have burnt off all the ERS in the long, fast flowy section and vulnerable for an overtake on start straight, somewhat similar to Malaysia's back straight leading to start straight with an almost given opportunity of overtaking with a hair pin.
Exactly, one straight, the rest of the track is imposible so all cars will deplete their ERS in that straight and there will be no differences.

There will be overtakes thanks to DRS, but those are artificial, no merit.

Drivers will be able to be extremelly slow in the whole track to save tires and fuel what IMHO means racing has become a farse. What´s the point if drivers can intentionally be very slow but none can try an overtake? That´s the opposite to racing

PlatinumZealot

Andres125sx wrote:

That's what was said about the last new street circuit, Baku....
Yet for some reason narrow tracks, like Zandvoort get a free pass because of rose-tinted glasses. I think F1 fans have a disdain for new street tracks.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏