2021 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, Apr 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
godlameroso

Re: 2021 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, Apr 16 - 18

Cold race tomorrow, it could possibly start on a slightly damp track. The soft tire will be very useful at the start if that's the case. It'll be a strong tire at the start of the race but it won't go more than 12 laps, and it's a 63 lap race. Ferrari will be a threat because LeClerc is starting on softs as well. The hards can do half the race but they are very slow compared to the medium, the medium lasts roughly double the soft.
Saishū kōnā

mkay
mkay

MKlaus wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 16:05
mkay wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 15:48
matt_b wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 15:34
How Mercedes closed a gap of 4 tenths in just 3 weeks is the biggest surprise about this session wow =D>
McLaren qualified 1 second behind Red Bull in Bahrain... so does that mean they closed a 1 second gap in 3 weeks?

Norris, bar for that slight off at Piratella was faster than Perez/Verstappen.
only way to explain is, bahrain is more power dominated circuit with not such a great demand on chassis. most likely, honda power made the difference there. except for one big straight, the power needs are not that great here. so it appears that mclaren has a good chassis and will be competitive where power demand is not really great.
max messed up and wasn't really upto the mark today.
Actually Imola is the third most power sensitive track in terms of full throttle %.

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

Has anyone got a graphic of what tyres the top 10 will start on?

I know Lewis, Max & Valtteri will start on the mediums. Sergio is on the softs but am not sure about the others.

jumpingfish

Is chance for VSC/SC high? Could be 2 pit-stops then

Zynerji

godlameroso wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 16:08
Cold race tomorrow, it could possibly start on a slightly damp track. The soft tire will be very useful at the start if that's the case. It'll be a strong tire at the start of the race but it won't go more than 12 laps, and it's a 63 lap race. Ferrari will be a threat because LeClerc is starting on softs as well. The hards can do half the race but they are very slow compared to the medium, the medium lasts roughly double the soft.
Or, if there is an early (lap 10-20) change to Inters, Checo could be miles ahead with the soft/medium difference in those laps.

The real question is if Perez is ahead of Max in the Championship at the half-way point, will they ask Max to support Sergio?

e30ernest
e30ernest

Amazing qualifying! A real surprise that Perez outqualified Max this early in the season. I agree with one of the posters here that Checo will only get better as he gets more comfortable with the car.

Norris was another stand-out. Shame he went out of bounds and had to lose that lap but what a qualifying effort. Danny would definitely be worried about that. Also, kudos to Ocon for outqualifying Alonso. I never expected that to happen.

Lastly, amazing lap by Lewis there. Also, he looks very stoic after qualifying. Normally he's pretty pumped with adrenaline after a qualifying lap, but this time he looks very calm, and very confident. I feel like he is really in the zone at the moment.

Whatever happened to Bottas.... There'd better be something wrong with that Merc, since that qualifying performance was just way off.

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

It is just so close. wow. "Perfect" time to change the rules.. lol. oh the irony...

Zynerji

e30ernest wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 16:41
Amazing qualifying! A real surprise that Perez outqualified Max this early in the season. I agree with one of the posters here that Checo will only get better as he gets more comfortable with the car.

Norris was another stand-out. Shame he went out of bounds and had to lose that lap but what a qualifying effort. Danny would definitely be worried about that. Also, kudos to Ocon for outqualifying Alonso. I never expected that to happen.

Lastly, amazing lap by Lewis there. Also, he looks very stoic after qualifying. Normally he's pretty pumped with adrenaline after a qualifying lap, but this time he looks very calm, and very confident. I feel like he is really in the zone at the moment.

Whatever happened to Bottas.... There'd better be something wrong with that Merc, since that qualifying performance was just way off.
The Lewis/Bono post/q radio messages speak of anything BUT confidence... :?

El Scorchio

jumpingfish wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 16:24
Is chance for VSC/SC high? Could be 2 pit-stops then
I’d say so given the amount of offs so far this weekend.

kenshi_blind

Zynerji wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 16:49
e30ernest wrote:

i think the poster meant that Lewis is confident , as in confident in his abilities so he's pretty calm
now i don't think he has any illusions regarding were the car is at this point in time performance wise compared to the Redbull which would explain his and bono's surprise

Pany
Pany

Perfect observation
Zynerji wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 16:49
e30ernest wrote:

Jambier

JordanMugen wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 15:26
Jambier wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 14:32
Alonso and Ricciardo are ultra slow :(

I think the Alpine with a decent driver would be not so bad, someone 2-3tenth faster than OCO like RIC Was
:lol:

Suddenly Alonso is not a decent driver!? :wtf:
I’m an Alonso fan but no, not right now

When he will be 3tenth ahead OCO he will be

RZS10

Personal best quali sectors combined for top8
Max    14.312 
Lewis  14.328 
Perez  14.357 
Lando  14.454 
Charls 14.603
Gasly  14.665 
Bottas 14.672 (Q1 lap haha)
Danny  14.826 (Q3 lap)

politburo
politburo

Diesel wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 13:38
politburo wrote:
16 Apr 2021, 17:57
Diesel wrote:
16 Apr 2021, 13:49

I would be astounded if he finishes the season at Haas.
It would probably be more astounding if this statement is fulfilled. You should be more concerned about the fate of Vettel than that of a rookie driver.
In 2006 Yuji Ide was stripped of his super licence after 4 races because of his lack of experience. That could very easily happen to Mazepin if he doesn't improve.
This is at best a pessimistic projection, what would you even class as an improvement anyway?. Despite that the driver Mazepin has always shown he starts slow even in the feeder series. The car is clearly the slowest on the grid and his teammate is 4-5 tenths faster than him at the start of the season. Which is the same as with Vettel and his teammate.

This is the guy's 1st race technically, and eve with that being said, I will reserve my judgements for the end of the season, and I am sure the team at Haas F1 will as well.
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"

PlatinumZealot

Signs of pressure to Max? Wondering if he will be as consistent now that he has a fast teammate again. Either way Perez should push him as hard or harder than Ricciardo.

Down the field, that pace from Lando! How? Some sort of sweet spot?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏