2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
MrHopsing

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

I'm gutted, but this shows the true potential of both Lando and the car. After a poor FP1 and FP2 on friday it was really nice to see the speed is in the car, and without any technical/car related problems. Hopefully they stay out of trouble the first couple of laps, and I don't know if rain will be in our favour or not. Lando managed to get fastest lap during the rainy lap in Turkey last year, Max was overly eager which probably cost him a podium.. Anyways, let's go, Mclaren one, two! :roll:

kfrantzios
kfrantzios

The pace is there. We just need a clean start and some luck with the safety cars tomorrow

Mansell89
Mansell89

One thing we haven’t talked about is weather- showers forecast right up until race start.

Almost definitely a safety car tomorrow so strategists and decision makers will need to be absolutely on it, as will the drivers.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Wet start would help us out, medium runners would lose their advantage and worse conditions should suit the "planted" cars.

PhillipM
PhillipM

The showers should clean the track too, and that plus sticky tyres might make the start fun for soft runners.

McFAN
McFAN

Nice one from Lewis

godlameroso

Mansell89 wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 21:27
One thing we haven’t talked about is weather- showers forecast right up until race start.

Almost definitely a safety car tomorrow so strategists and decision makers will need to be absolutely on it, as will the drivers.
It's going to be a mild trickle in the morning if at all, otherwise it should be the same as today.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

PhillipM wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 23:09
The showers should clean the track too, and that plus sticky tyres might make the start fun for soft runners.
Bruv, we're talking 1mm of total rainfall predicted. What's that gonna clean? It rains formula 409 in Italy. :D
Saishū kōnā

proteus

I am allways uncomfortable when both drivers start one next to other, and this is becoming quite often now. I am fearfull that they get both entangled if something happens at the start.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

A bit off topic, but great job by Pato O’Ward, getting pole in the IndyCar opener. Would love to see him get an opportunity in a McLaren F1 car someday. Don’t know if the in season test will ever be reinstated.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 22:54
Wet start would help us out, medium runners would lose their advantage and worse conditions should suit the "planted" cars.
Lando could have run mediums, I think our strategy guys think getting off the line quicker and making places early is more of a strategic advantage.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Marc.W

Heartbreaking to have that lap taken away, but, it feels kind of good to be disappointed with P6 and P7

diffuser

SmallSoldier wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 01:01
Hammerfist wrote:
Xero wrote:
16 Apr 2021, 17:22

The Merc deployment in race trim is still very much class of the field, so I think there's a worthwhile benefit long term.

The plan was for the Merc PU to come in with the all new car regulations, but with the COVID delay it kind of messed everything up. I think it's on record that McLaren tried to stay with Renault for this season, but Cyril Abiteboul being Cyril Abiteboul refused.

On the plus side, they get a year of Merc experience for 2022, plus the suspension changes bring McLaren a massive reset opportunity on their weakness.
Merc deployment still class of the field? Thats not the latest i heard. They were clipping like crazy in bahrain and the honda deployment was reportedly better over there. At the end of the day does the merc pu help aston martin and williams compared to their competitors? I sure as hell cant see it. I think too many people dont realize that engine convergence is pretty much here and the pu is not as important as it was say 2-3 years ago.
Minimizing the impact of the PU due to AM/RP or Williams performance it’s not a good argument (because in that case, the performance of AT, Haas, AR are bases for the same argument for the other PU’s).

I don’t think there isn’t much or any doubt that Mercedes still makes the best PU in the grid, this is acknowledged by every team in the grid (and every engine manufacturer).

There is no doubt that it is superior to the Renault PU, not only in terms of Power and Reliability, but also in terms of packaging (and this has been confirmed by Mclaren)... In a sport like F1 where millions are spent for small increments in performance, using the best PU if possible is the best course of action.

In regards to deployment, yes, the Mercedes PU had derating issues in Bahrain, but it wasn’t “massive” clipping as you state and most probably will be solved through software calibration more than hardware fixes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Packaging isn't part of the PU. The different PU architectures will give you different packaging options. When RBR take the exhaust and roll them up in a way that they fit under the PU and not on the side... that's RBR Packaging of the exhaust with the requirements from Honda. If Williams, for example,where to get the Honda PU, they don't get the RBR exhaust. You don't get any Radiators with the PU. That's all on the purchaser to create.

mwillems

mwillems wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 08:17
FittingMechanics wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 22:54
Lando could have run mediums, I think our strategy guys think getting off the line quicker and making places early is more of a strategic advantage.
Thinking about this further, if Lando was going to get P3, and he should have, this was a very interesting idea.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

mclaren111

RacingNews365:

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/ ... t_McLaren/

McLaren have been testing some new parts on the car in Imola which has paid off, given how close Norris was to pole position.
In pre-season testing they focused on comparing different parts and setups. The team have been doing similar programmes in the Friday practice sessions which masked their pace.

This would explain our Friday pace... Wonder which parts ?? Not much visible...