2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Imagine where this car could be with a better front end
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

CjC
CjC

mclaren111 wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 10:37
RacingNews365:

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/ ... t_McLaren/

McLaren have been testing some new parts on the car in Imola which has paid off, given how close Norris was to pole position.
In pre-season testing they focused on comparing different parts and setups. The team have been doing similar programmes in the Friday practice sessions which masked their pace.

This would explain our Friday pace... Wonder which parts ?? Not much visible...
I saw they had a new floor but it was nothing radical
Just a fan's point of view

mclaren111

CjC wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 11:28
mclaren111 wrote:
RacingNews365:

McLaren have been testing some new parts on the car in Imola which has paid off, given how close Norris was to pole position.
In pre-season testing they focused on comparing different parts and setups. The team have been doing similar programmes in the Friday practice sessions which masked their pace.

I only saw these new parts on the floor...

Mansell89
Mansell89

Is there much race pace data worth its salt from Friday or not really? Friday looked messy with traffic for all teams

mwillems

Mansell89 wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 12:06
Is there much race pace data worth its salt from Friday or not really? Friday looked messy with traffic for all teams
It was said at the time that the race pace looked no better than the one lap pace, but look how that turned out.

I'm going to wait for the race with optimism. I think we will overtake and I think our strategy gives us options. If we do not make headway then pitting earlier than those in front of us gives us an opportunity to find clear air and make use of our pace. But it will have to be managed perfectly. Something they have more often than not done.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

CjC
CjC

mclaren111 wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 12:02
CjC wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 11:28
mclaren111 wrote:
RacingNews365:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EzFtSAfW8AM ... name=large

I only saw these new parts on the floor...
That’s the one, just a small tweak👍🏻

CjC
CjC

mwillems wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 12:10
Mansell89 wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 12:06
It was said at the time that the race pace looked no better than the one lap pace, but look how that turned out.

I'm going to wait for the race with optimism. I think we will overtake and I think our strategy gives us options. If we do not make headway then pitting earlier than those in front of us gives us an opportunity to find clear air and make use of our pace. But it will have to be managed perfectly. Something they have more often than not done.
Agreed, considering overtaking is so hard at Imola surely a gamble to stop early jump ahead then be super slow and hold everyone up would be worth the risk?

mclaren111

Enjoy the Race Everyone... :D =P~ =P~ :D

mwillems

Hopefully, it depends on how bunched up everything gets, that's the downside to that strategy. But an earlier safety car (But not too early) would fall right into the feet of the soft booted cars.

It's a tricky race, there is an opportunity to make headway, but we will need pace and some luck and the wherewithal to recognise and take the opportunities that come our way.

But even if it doesn't and we finish in these positions, we can see we are fast and it is only one race so it's nothing to get in a sweat about, I don't think. I feel about as relaxed about our prospects this year as I have ever done in the past decade, because I think the car will certainly be there or thereabouts so we have a good chance at third with a lot of fun (read traumatic) racing in the meantime. Good times for Mclaren and us fans.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Darth-Piekus

Ok question. How can it be explained that Norris was 0.9 seconds in Bahrain Qualifying and he was so close to pole yesterday?

Also there is Rain today so we might have surprises. Remember Mclaren and last year's Portimao? In any case we need to be very careful with the strategy today and the changes of the weather. It can give us even victory or it can end in disaster.

PhillipM
PhillipM

godlameroso wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 00:00
Bruv, we're talking 1mm of total rainfall predicted. What's that gonna clean? It rains formula 409 in Italy. :D
Cleaned up enough for Alonso :wink:

Darth-Piekus

Guys first of all Fingers Crossed for a clean start. If we gain places by that it is acceptable if not we can always pass them later. Today we need to be extra careful because of the conditions. It can lead up to victory or it can lead up to disaster. So careful today.

We need the A game of our strategists today.

Emag
Emag

Darth-Piekus wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 14:17
Ok question. How can it be explained that Norris was 0.9 seconds in Bahrain Qualifying and he was so close to pole yesterday?
Firstly, track conditions. Bahrain is a very different track compared to Imola, so a lot can change.

Secondly, Mercedes PU was detuned in Bahrain (for all teams, not only McLaren). Norris said McLaren had free time to gain from Mercedes PU after the race in Bahrain.

And thirdly, the team went the wrong way with the setup. Although times were promising in free practice, both drivers weren't comfortable at all with the car, and you could even see it in the onboards. A lot of understeer at certain corners. Here at Imola, the car was beautifully balanced. (at least in quali, because it wasn't promising at all in friday)

Seerix
Seerix

Oh man, does everyone have tents on grid except for one Mclaren car? I hope that won't affect our start too much..

Darth-Piekus

You think a puddle formed inside our cars from the rain and our drivers might be a little wet?

Anyway. The time has arrived. The moment of truth. Let's continue our good performance and give it our A-Game today with the dangerous conditions.