2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

We should remember (and Ricciardo), that all this started with Ricciardo letting Lando through. Teamwork!

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Herr_Koos wrote:Putting the softs on was a mistake. They're going to get eaten up by the end.
It worked out... The gamble was to make the position at the restart and hold on for dear life!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Emag wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 17:17
Yeah those softs didn't make the job any easier for Lando. Amazing tire management with all that pressure from behind.
Without the softs he would probably be unable to overtake Leclerc.

Darth-Piekus

It was a great test to see if Lando has what it takes to be a great champion and I must say he passed with Flying Colours.

chrisgr
chrisgr

Very happy for Norris. He kept Lewis behind him for 3-4 laps. Great result for him. I believe Ric will improve after 4-5 races. What worries me is yet another, very slow pit stop

Herr_Koos

SmallSoldier wrote:
Herr_Koos wrote:Putting the softs on was a mistake. They're going to get eaten up by the end.
It worked out... The gamble was to make the position at the restart and hold on for dear life!

Happy to be proven wrong in the end! But it could have gone badly wrong. Lando saved it with a stellar drive.

mwillems

Herr_Koos wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 17:15
DR needs to get up to speed quickly. No easy settling in period for him. Lando showed him up properly today, especially considering they were P5 and P9 on lap one with DR in front.
Carlos is showing him how to adapt.

I'm starting to think that Dani is struggling with how the car drives and it may take a good while for him to catch on.

Landos superb driving is compounding it though.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

the EDGE
the EDGE

Is that now 3 races in a row Lando has led the midfield home?

Abu Dhabi
Bahrain
Imola

Herr_Koos

mwillems wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 17:19
Herr_Koos wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 17:15
DR needs to get up to speed quickly. No easy settling in period for him. Lando showed him up properly today, especially considering they were P5 and P9 on lap one with DR in front.
Carlos is showing him how to adapt.

I'm starting to think that Dani is struggling with how the car drives and it may take a good while for him to catch on.

Landos superb driving is compounding it though.
Carlos had far from an error-free weekend, he did have good pace though. Definitely missing him a bit right now.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:

Hamilton saved it for him, he got some clean track whilst the Ferraris had to continue to destroy their tyres fighting ham otherwise he'd be another place back.
Last edited by mwillems on 18 Apr 2021, 17:24, edited 1 time in total.

Emag
Emag

Yeah, not good for Daniel. He had the damage last weekend, but here there are no excuses for this one. He ended the race with the same gap to Lando as Lando had to Max. (Actually more than that, my god it was probably more than a second per lap slower)

McFAN
McFAN

Lando definitely found a few gears, awesome drive!!

Darth-Piekus

I can't say I agree. He was controlling the race all the time. I am not sure Leclerc was coming close enough everytime as he was gaining ground after that Imola straight. However I agree that puting Hamilton as a shield helped.

diffuser

SmallSoldier wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 15:15
diffuser wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 01:01

Minimizing the impact of the PU due to AM/RP or Williams performance it’s not a good argument (because in that case, the performance of AT, Haas, AR are bases for the same argument for the other PU’s).

I don’t think there isn’t much or any doubt that Mercedes still makes the best PU in the grid, this is acknowledged by every team in the grid (and every engine manufacturer).

There is no doubt that it is superior to the Renault PU, not only in terms of Power and Reliability, but also in terms of packaging (and this has been confirmed by Mclaren)... In a sport like F1 where millions are spent for small increments in performance, using the best PU if possible is the best course of action.

In regards to deployment, yes, the Mercedes PU had derating issues in Bahrain, but it wasn’t “massive” clipping as you state and most probably will be solved through software calibration more than hardware fixes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Packaging isn't part of the PU. The different PU architectures will give you different packaging options. When RBR take the exhaust and roll them up in a way that they fit under the PU and not on the side... that's RBR Packaging of the exhaust with the requirements from Honda. If Williams, for example,where to get the Honda PU, they don't get the RBR exhaust. You don't get any Radiators with the PU. That's all on the purchaser to create.
Cooling requirements determine the size of your packaging... The Merc PU runs hotter and if I’m not wrong smaller radiators... The change in turbine layout also plays a role in how you “package” it under the covers... It has allowed McLaren for an slimmer body overall

It does, but it doesn't make it a smaller or bigger package. just a different package. Just like if you choose air to air or water cooled does as well. You can even see that, even though they're both Front Compressor/rear turbine, the RBR/Honda is packed differently to Merc/Merc. Same can be said about Alpine and Ferrari.

mwillems

Darth-Piekus wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 17:24
I can't say I agree. He was controlling the race all the time. I am not sure Leclerc was coming close enough everytime as he was gaining ground after that Imola straight. However I agree that puting Hamilton as a shield helped.
Landos tyres would have gone i think and the Ferraris would have had him. Hamilton wasn't a shield, he just pulled the Ferraris back a bit and killed their tyres, by that point the Ferraris were done as they had lost the DRS too.