2021 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, Apr 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Vasconia

Re: 2021 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, Apr 16 - 18

JordanMugen wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 05:53
El Scorchio wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 21:03
I feel really sorry for Vettel these days. If he's not having bad luck, then he's having no luck at all.
Why feel sorry!? It's up to Vettel to drive better. He has Stroll's data trace to copy. Maybe Vettel is just not as talented as Stroll, at least not anymore? :shock:
His qualy wasn´t good but he could not have more bad luck in the race, still, he had some decent moments which I presume it should be the first signs of an incoming recovery.

Vasconia

JordanMugen wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 05:45
dans79 wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 20:34
The truly sad thing I see every time something goes Lewis's way or something doesn't go Max's way is the thinly veiled racism and xenophobia that rears its ugly head in the forum.
Nonsense... :roll:

It's Hamilton personality that people don't like. Introverted (which is fine) but yet difficult, inappropriate political t-shirts, us against the world narrative etc.

If he was the typical nerdy, analytical, affable F1 driver like most of the other drivers, or the say the commentator Sam Collins, people would support him more...

There are plenty of people who were originally happy to support rookie Hamilton in 2007 (like me), but have been turned off by his driving and personality in F1 over the years...

It's hardly "racist" to cheer for Button or Rosberg of the two McLaren or Mercedes drivers because they happen to be more affable and top-blokeish than Hamilton!
I don´t think Hamilton is too introverted, he loves to be with famous people and I think he will have an intense social life after he leaves F1. If there is something I sometimes dislike him is that he is a little bit theatrical and exaggerated in his gestures in front of the cameras. Plus his "still we rise, we overcome the difficulties" that he shares with Mercedes.

Anyway, he is much more mature now and he seems to be a easy-going guy nowadays.

Vasconia

Unc1eM0nty wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 00:21
El Scorchio wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 16:58
Norris has absolutely bossed Ricciardo today.
Your not kidding, Riccardo let Norris through on lap 17, by lap 22 he's was 7 seconds ahead !
His weekend has been almost perfect. His performance and pace was astonishing, he has improved a lot in race pace and now he is a beast of a driver. Ricciardo will have some tough moments this season.

MKlaus
MKlaus

Unc1eM0nty wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 00:21
El Scorchio wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 16:58
Norris has absolutely bossed Ricciardo today.
Your not kidding, Riccardo let Norris through on lap 17, by lap 22 he's was 7 seconds ahead !
ricciardo has always struggled in wet weather. it's a big weakness in his game.

Bill
Bill

why was Botta russell , mazipin and some guy incidents not investigated or noted but Lewis Max 1st lap squabble was considered for investigation even when it was just pure overtaking manu..

e30ernest
e30ernest

Bill wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 08:53
why was Botta russell , mazipin and some guy incidents not investigated or noted but Lewis Max 1st lap squabble was considered for investigation even when it was just pure overtaking manu..
Bottas' and Russell's incident was going to be investigated after the race. I think the Mazepin incident was also marked as no investigation necessary.

Note that sometimes stewards investigate incidents based on team complaints too, so Merc complaining was probably why they noted and later investigated the lap 1 incident.

AnthonyG

I was expecting a standing race restart, just like Monza last year, did they change the rules?
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

DChemTech
DChemTech

AnthonyG wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 09:04
I was expecting a standing race restart, just like Monza last year, did they change the rules?
I think they opted for a rolling start because the track was partially dry - this way everyone could start on the dry line, which with a standing start would be... challenging.

Oakstreet
Oakstreet

AnthonyG wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 09:04
Probably they decided not to because of the wet patches outside the racing line - they did not want to risk another Bottas - Russel incident.

sosic2121
sosic2121

PlatinumZealot wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 17:51
sosic2121 wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 17:19
PlatinumZealot wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 17:02
Great damage limitation, Octo-God. Squared in the championship now. Back at zero.
How about, loosing a car for a second race in a row?
Max did the same too. In Max's off he just happened to be on the inside of the turn.

So what are you saying now?
I'm not calling Max a god.

ispano6

dans79 wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 18:16
ispano6 wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 18:14
El Scorchio wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 17:55

100% when the same ‘flawed rules’ benefit a driver of a Honda powered car you’ll suddenly have zero problem with any of it.
So you're admitting to the flawed rules or that you don't have a problem when a Mercedes driver or Ham benefits? You could just say Ham got lucky instead of saying those are the rules. But I won't put words into your mouth, I don't have that character flaw.
No, he put them in quotes because that's what you're calling them. So he's literally saying he doesn't think you'll have a problem with it when it's a Honda driver benefitting from them.
Clearly you don't understand diction then. I know what I said, we all know the rules, and I'm calling then flawed. When you have rules where you are required to keep a delta under virtual safety car, and get penalized for gaining a lasting advantage when violating track limits, a circumstance that allows a driver to freely make up a deficit such as unlapping yourself, a 78sec delta, because of track clean up as a reason, is inconsistent with the rules that aim to maintain a delta under vsc or prevent gaining a lasting advantage. Had the red flag not happened, Hamilton would never have been close to a podium (duh we all know that too) . And there's no sense in trying to say Merc had the faster car, Max never was challenged by Hamilton after lap one. Max drove fast enough to win the race, and the 21 sec delta would have been much larger had there been no red flag causing accident. Max, Red Bull and Honda were the class of the field no matter how you try and spin it! Max praised Honda for improving the starts and nailed it, Max also avoided costly mistakes, and the boys didn't screw up the pitstop either. Overall it was a satisfying outcome apart from Perez not doing his part and Ham's gaffe not amounting to much. Even Bottas served Ham better being at the "wrong" place at the right time. Or I guess he should be thanking Russell...

NathanOlder

Jolle wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 23:33
Great sportsmanship from Sainz by the way on the restart. He rightfully could of taken the lead from Verstappen when he went off for a second.
Wasn't it Charles?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

NathanOlder

Hoffman900 wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 00:53
AMG.Tzan wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 00:49
Can't really understand why they did a rolling restart!

It was the perfect time for a standing restart and it would have been even better for the Grand Prix! Any suggestions or info on why the chose the rolling restart??
Because there was only one dry line, the rest wet. Whoever started on that would have a MASSIVE advantage.

It was the fairest decision.
Thats not true, you could see the grid well during the red flag, Both lanes were very similar. The grid was never even that wet at the start of the race, let alone an hour later.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

El Scorchio

ispano6 wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 09:41
dans79 wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 18:16
ispano6 wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 18:14

So you're admitting to the flawed rules or that you don't have a problem when a Mercedes driver or Ham benefits? You could just say Ham got lucky instead of saying those are the rules. But I won't put words into your mouth, I don't have that character flaw.
No, he put them in quotes because that's what you're calling them. So he's literally saying he doesn't think you'll have a problem with it when it's a Honda driver benefitting from them.
Clearly you don't understand diction then. I know what I said, we all know the rules, and I'm calling then flawed. When you have rules where you are required to keep a delta under virtual safety car, and get penalized for gaining a lasting advantage when violating track limits, a circumstance that allows a driver to freely make up a deficit such as unlapping yourself, a 78sec delta, because of track clean up as a reason, is inconsistent with the rules that aim to maintain a delta under vsc or prevent gaining a lasting advantage. Had the red flag not happened, Hamilton would never have been close to a podium (duh we all know that too) . And there's no sense in trying to say Merc had the faster car, Max never was challenged by Hamilton after lap one. Max drove fast enough to win the race, and the 21 sec delta would have been much larger had there been no red flag causing accident. Max, Red Bull and Honda were the class of the field no matter how you try and spin it! Max praised Honda for improving the starts and nailed it, Max also avoided costly mistakes, and the boys didn't screw up the pitstop either. Overall it was a satisfying outcome apart from Perez not doing his part and Ham's gaffe not amounting to much. Even Bottas served Ham better being at the "wrong" place at the right time. Or I guess he should be thanking Russell...
Pit lane closure and red flag got Gasly his win last season, from well down the field when it happened. So was that flawed as well? I don;t recall you saying that at the time. You were just going on about karma.

Jolle
Jolle

NathanOlder wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 11:02
Jolle wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 23:33
Great sportsmanship from Sainz by the way on the restart. He rightfully could of taken the lead from Verstappen when he went off for a second.
Wasn't it Charles?
It was. My mistake.