2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
McL-H

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

dans79 wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 19:43
McL-H wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 19:41
dans79 wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 19:37

Lol, what?
I mean for 2022 obviously.
I knew what you were implying, but I see zero chance of that. If anything, I think McLaren could lose Lando to Mercedes, if he keeps putting in good performances, and Bottas bad ones.
Bottas is done after this season for sure. Should have been done for already tbh. I can see Russell taking over his place. And I think that if Lewis leaves, Mercedes would want to get Verstappen to be Russell’s teammate as Zak suggested. If so, that would be a great opportunity for us to get in Lewis into the team. Our weakest driver should then go. It’s not looking good for Ricciardo atm.

godlameroso

Lando has been driving a McLaren for two seasons prior, this is year 3, he has more experience with the car than Riccardo. It's not like they're miles apart, Lando just has more experience, he knows more tricks to get the most out of the car. It's not like the gulf between Riccardo and Norris is like the gulf between Perez and Stroll was last year.
Saishū kōnā

JPower

Jambier wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 20:19
It is really different indeed some driver like SAI seem to have no issues to change car

But RIC is suffering, VET as well
Carlos is having plenty of issues in qualifying. I don't think he's put together a truly good quali lap yet.

All of these new guys are still figuring things out.

the EDGE

godlameroso wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 21:10
Lando has been driving a McLaren for two seasons prior, this is year 3, he has more experience with the car than Riccardo. It's not like they're miles apart, Lando just has more experience, he knows more tricks to get the most out of the car. It's not like the gulf between Riccardo and Norris is like the gulf between Perez and Stroll was last year.
You say that, but these cars are new to every driver, a lot less downforce & new tyres, and for McLaren a new PU & new brake supplier, so the car should feel as different to both drivers as last years did

I’m surprised the gap between them was so big. At Bahrain you could explain it with the damage Ric had, but here I’m at a loss to explain it

Still, a 6th & 7th is still an excellent result. Take away the RBs & Merc’s and he’s only been beat by his team mate & 1, then 2 Ferraris which ain’t too bad at all - I’m sure Danny will find his race boots soon.

But nothing should be taken away from Lando’s performances. To take 3 midfield wins in a row is simply outstanding. Danny will have a real fight on his hands

godlameroso

I'm more excited for the McLaren vs Ferrari fight. Reminds me of 1998, sort of.
Saishū kōnā

kfrantzios

Dani is a proven tier A driver, but i really think Lando and Carlos are top drivers too.

ThePapayaJaguar

Great race from Lando! I was worried that Lando wouldn't be able to hang onto those softs and get passed by at least one of the Ferraris, but he managed to hold on! It's really been great watching Lando develop as a driver. His race pace and tire management have improved quite drastically, but he still needs to work on his starts a bit. Also, what a staunch defense he put up against Lewis. The team still needs to work on pitstops. I think I saw a 6 second pitstop for Daniel. Hopefully it was just due to traffic, but not entirely sure.

Some people are writing off Daniel way too early. He echoed Sergio's comment that it would take about 5 races to get comfortable with the car. The team know that about 5 races is realistic and we should respect that too.

mwillems

Daniel is adapting his driving style to suit the car, it must be quite a bit different.

His performance in Bahrain was fine, even with damage. He didn't have damage this weekend, but on a slippy track I dont think you will risk mistakes in a car you are not comfortable with, as one trip off the dry line can cost you.

This is a track we should not excel on, a front limited track with tricky conditions. I don't think finishing 6th is a disappointment, I think that finishing 3rd is a marvel.

Landos next contract is going to be expensive at this rate. If he does this all season then he will place himself in the very top tier of drivers.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

mclaren111

McL-H wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 19:41
dans79 wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 19:37
McL-H wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 19:19
If Danny does not improve before the Summer break, we should try and get Lewis back in the car. He doesn’t seem too happy at Mercedes this year.
Lol, what?
I mean for 2022 obviously. Would love to see him end his career at where it all started.

Hell No !!!!!!!!!!!!

genarro

Herr_Koos wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 18:45
genarro wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 18:31
Amazing race today. Lando is such a raw talent and is becoming of the future champions..

Guys stop bashing Danny for todays performance. Look at Alonso (outpaced by Ocon) and Vettel (consistently slower than Stroll). Even Bottas strugled and was almost passed by a Williams. Drivers that were new to their team struggled significantly today.
Putting Bottas in that list isn't helping your case. :D
of course it is. He is a proven Merc driver and was struggling to the point that he was almost passed by a Willims. So Danny's pace was ok given the circumstances

CjC
CjC

mwillems wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 06:30
Daniel is adapting his driving style to suit the car, it must be quite a bit different.

His performance in Bahrain was fine, even with damage. He didn't have damage this weekend, but on a slippy track I dont think you will risk mistakes in a car you are not comfortable with, as one trip off the dry line can cost you.

This is a track we should not excel on, a front limited track with tricky conditions. I don't think finishing 6th is a disappointment, I think that finishing 3rd is a marvel.

Landos next contract is going to be expensive at this rate. If he does this all season then he will place himself in the very top tier of drivers.
That’s a good point, when is his current deal set to end? Is it at the end of this season or next years?
Just a fan's point of view

bauc

CjC wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 11:10
mwillems wrote:

That’s a good point, when is his current deal set to end? Is it at the end of this season or next years?
Lando's contract ends at the end of next season.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

mwillems

CjC wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 11:10
mwillems wrote:

Mclaren aren't short of cash, finding the money for his salary will be no issue, that was just an aside remark about his cost reflecting his ability.

I'd be more concerned about where his contract will be if he continues to drive like this, unless we start challenging for wins. But that is a long while away, and a lot of change to get through.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

mclaren111

Most positive aspect for me this weekend was how much we reduced the gap compared to last year...

Last year we were 1.2 seconds of pole...

Lucky

Norris made a good start but had to correct after a snap of wheelspin while pulling past Ricciardo on the run to Tamburello, then survived a slap to the bargeboard from Stroll’s front-left tyre without damage.
https://the-race.com/formula-1/edd-stra ... er-debate/