2021 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, Apr 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Hoffman900

Re: 2021 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, Apr 16 - 18

Edax wrote:
20 Apr 2021, 19:22
Hoffman900 wrote:
20 Apr 2021, 18:40
For those that know, when did they start allowing work on the car under a red flag?

F1 is one of the few, if only places, I know of that allow that.

This isn’t even just a Lewis thing, as RB was changing front wing plates, etc under it.
I am not sure, but is has been that way for as long as I remember. Hamilton had his RW replaced in Monaco (2011)

And in the time of spare cars they could even switch cars at the start.
As mentioned earlier, Ducati won the Daytona 200 due to some funny red flag rules.

Ducati rider blows up on the same lap a red flag is thrown due to a big incident. Since the red flag reverts to the running order of the previous lap (and he was running), Ducati mechanics changed the engines during the red flag, started in his running position, and he won the race.

They no longer allow work during a red flag.

SmallSoldier

The rule is implemented because usually red flag events imply severe crashes and the need to clean the track of debris... The possibility of drivers not involved in the accident to damage their cars due to debris on track that is not avoidable is high and that’s why they allow repairs during the red flag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ispano6

SiLo wrote:
20 Apr 2021, 17:00
We were a few degrees of spin more away from talking about Lewis winning this race and Max looking like an absolute fool.
Yeah and just centimeters away from a crippled Hamilton looking like an absolute fool being a lap down and out of podium position and Max leading the championship, so you should be happy with the end result.

dans79

ispano6 wrote:
21 Apr 2021, 05:04
Yeah and just centimeters away from a crippled Hamilton looking like an absolute fool being a lap down and out of podium position and Max leading the championship, so you should be happy with the end result.
Still leading both championships after a horrendous weekend, yea I'm pretty happy with that!
197 104 103 7

nzjrs

dans79 wrote:
21 Apr 2021, 06:02
ispano6 wrote:
Still leading both championships after a horrendous weekend, yea I'm pretty happy with that!
F1pettybickering.net

ispano6

nzjrs wrote:
21 Apr 2021, 08:28
dans79 wrote:
ispano6 wrote:
F1pettybickering.net
It's OK, it's his defense mechanism to seeing his hero getting punked at the first corner and then taking it into the wall. I have to admit, I was cackling with glee. It's only two races in and 1pt apart, expect this type of exchange the entire season :)

NathanOlder

ispano6 wrote:
21 Apr 2021, 08:48
nzjrs wrote:
dans79 wrote:

F1pettybickering.net
It's OK, it's his defense mechanism to seeing his hero getting punked at the first corner and then taking it into the wall. I have to admit, I was cackling with glee. It's only two races in and 1pt apart, expect this type of exchange the entire season :)
Going off in the wet while racing and trying to pass cars happens quite often. Spinning behind the safety car is certainly far more foolish. I feel the reality of the season so far is Hamilton is leading the championship at a time RedBull should be opening up a decent size gap. Right now I would say the Hamilton camp are happier than the Max camp.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

NathanOlder

Does anyone know how long it has been manditory to have a reverse gear ? When did the FIA add this rule ? 90's ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Wouter

NathanOlder wrote:
21 Apr 2021, 09:00
Right now I would say the Hamilton camp are happier than the Max camp.
You could be very wrong about that! After Hamilton finally doesn't drive a dominant car after all these years,
it is a relief to race him with an equal car. So the Max camp is happy. Is the Hamilton camp that too? :wink:
The Power of Dreams!

dans79

NathanOlder wrote:
ispano6 wrote:
nzjrs wrote:

F1pettybickering.net
Going off in the wet while racing and trying to pass cars happens quite often. Spinning behind the safety car is certainly far more foolish. I feel the reality of the season so far is Hamilton is leading the championship at a time RedBull should be opening up a decent size gap. Right now I would say the Hamilton camp are happier than the Max camp.
I'd say I'm enjoying the season so far. Unlike some, I don't live vicariously through the driver I follow or the car manufacturer he drives for.
197 104 103 7

bosyber

NathanOlder wrote:
ispano6 wrote:
nzjrs wrote:

F1pettybickering.net
I wouldn't normally put it that strongly but you replied to such a silly post I am tempted to say well done. Red Bull do now have a good car, seemingly better able to adapt, and they are great at pitstops, usually. But they still have their '2nd driver' not tuned in (okay, and then there's Bottas, true - apparently suffering more from the loss of DAS than Hamilton), so maybe ideally they'd be putting in a gap, but let's give them the 'not been really fighting for a championship in a few years' leniency. Still fully agree, Hamilton and Mercedes being on top even if narrowly shows on the whole Verstappen/Red Bull have not maximised their opportunities.

TimW

NathanOlder wrote:
ispano6 wrote:
nzjrs wrote:

F1pettybickering.net
Yes there is nothing foolish about losing your front wing trying to spin the rear around with your rear wheels in a gravel trap.

Sorry moderators, couldn't resist.

NathanOlder

Wouter wrote:
21 Apr 2021, 09:34
NathanOlder wrote:
Right now I would say the Hamilton camp are happier than the Max camp.
You could be very wrong about that! After Hamilton finally doesn't drive a dominant car after all these years,
it is a relief to race him with an equal car. So the Max camp is happy. Is the Hamilton camp that too? :wink:
Well I think after testing, it looked like RedBull domination certainly for the early part of the 2021 season, but it actually looks like Mercedes have the better race car. So right now I would say Mercedes will be happier than RedBull.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

NathanOlder

TimW wrote:
21 Apr 2021, 09:49
NathanOlder wrote:
ispano6 wrote:

Yes there is nothing foolish about losing your front wing trying to spin the rear around with your rear wheels in a gravel trap.

Of course there isn't. When you haven't got room to rotate your car enough to avoid a barrier, you need some extra rotation. The best way to acheive this is by spinning the rear wheels while applying as much steering lock as you can. Stopping in a proper grael trap is not really an option.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

TimW

NathanOlder wrote:
21 Apr 2021, 09:56
TimW wrote:
21 Apr 2021, 09:49
NathanOlder wrote:

Of course there isn't. When you haven't got room to rotate your car enough to avoid a barrier, you need some extra rotation. The best way to acheive this is by spinning the rear wheels while applying as much steering lock as you can. Stopping in a proper grael trap is not really an option.
The only issue is that in gravel this does not work.......