2021 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, Apr 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
e30ernest

Re: 2021 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, Apr 16 - 18

langedweil wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 00:59
Hoffman900 wrote:
21 Apr 2021, 18:13
Could you imagine the tension / story lines if the pit wall could see everything they see now but the driver couldn’t / it couldn’t be communicated to them?

The team principals would all be holding their heads in their hands the whole time. :lol:
That was done in a sense in 2016 ...

De-rates everywhere. I’m sure that’s not helping. Is there no solution for this?
To: Hamilton
We are working on it, Lewis.
You guys need to pick up the pace.
Can I not reset this thing?
OK Lewis so the problem appears to be with the current mode you’re in.
Ah, I don’t what you mean but I don’t know what’s wrong.
Copy that Lewis, hard to say what it is.
This is ridiculous guys, I don’t know, looking at my fricking dash every five seconds trying to find a switch that’s in the wrong position. I haven’t changed anything or done something wrong as far as I’m aware.
Yeah Lewis it’s nothing that you’re doing wrong, just got a setting that’s incorrect.
Is it HPB?
I’m afraid I can’t say, Lewis.
I may not finish this race because I’m going to try to change everything.
Don’t advise that, Lewis.
Can I make a suggestion and you say if it’s OK or not?
No that’s not allowed. Let’s just get our head down and focus on the job.
To: Hamilton OK Lewis you’re the fastest car on the track.
Thanks man. Got power back.
Yeah I don't think the complexity of these cars as well as the inherent safety risk a distracted driver who's digging into his settings would make that rule worthwhile.

MKlaus

one thing that sets apart the really talented drivers is the wet weather driving skills, apart from splendid performances in dry. perez for instance, after making an impression in qualifying, struggled to keep the car on track while his team mate was cruising up front. there were other drivers too like bottas and ricciardo who also have a history of struggling in these conditions. while hamilton climbed back up to second with a pulverizing performance, in a similarly strong car, perez was stuck behind fernando being unable make any move.

there was so much build up for perez before the start of the season and so far, with the exception of a good qualifying where his team mate made a rare mistake, things haven't particularly good. i don't think this is going to be one off for him wherever the weather is going to be wet.

NathanOlder

Didnt Perez have steering issues ? Or does that not matter ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

El Scorchio

NathanOlder wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 11:12
He did indeed. So there needs to be mitigation for that.

However, it (his wheel) was replaced before his off. Unknown as to whether the new wheel actually solved the problem though, so it's really hard to know what (if anything) he was trying to deal with at the time.

I think his results so far have not matched his actual performances.

mclaren111

:D :) :) :D
Last edited by mclaren111 on 22 Apr 2021, 11:58, edited 1 time in total.

MKlaus

NathanOlder wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 11:12
there have been drivers that have won grand prixes with steering issues. check that out.
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/moto ... in-hungary

https://thesportsrush.com/f1-news-were- ... ing-wheel/

darkpino

MKlaus wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 11:03
one thing that sets apart the really talented drivers is the wet weather driving skills, apart from splendid performances in dry. perez for instance, after making an impression in qualifying, struggled to keep the car on track while his team mate was cruising up front. there were other drivers too like bottas and ricciardo who also have a history of struggling in these conditions. while hamilton climbed back up to second with a pulverizing performance, in a similarly strong car, perez was stuck behind fernando being unable make any move.

there was so much build up for perez before the start of the season and so far, with the exception of a good qualifying where his team mate made a rare mistake, things haven't particularly good. i don't think this is going to be one off for him wherever the weather is going to be wet.
In my opinion you’re being too harsh on Sergio. While I’m not a fan of him (I don’t dislike him either just want to make sure I’m not a fanboi) I think there was no new driver in a team who finished in front of his more experienced (in that team) team mate. Ricciardo was I think the only one who actually didn’t make any mistakes apart being slower than his teammate. Vettel was nowhere even though he’s a pretty strong rain driver, Sainz made a couple of big mistakes, Tsunoda ofcourse wasn’t really that strong, heck even Alonso made mistakes even though he is an old dog compared to others in the currrent F1 field

Long story short: cut Checco some slack

MKlaus

we are talking about lack of performance. perez didn't crash. his problem was small enough to have affected in a way that you are presenting as an excuse for his lacklustre performance. i presented cases where drivers have overcome problems to produce better results. he changed the steering, still didn't do anything great. that shows, it was a bad performance. no excuses.

"reference to a deleted post removed"

MKlaus

darkpino wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 13:19
MKlaus wrote:

In my opinion you’re being too harsh on Sergio. While I’m not a fan of him (I don’t dislike him either just want to make sure I’m not a fanboi) I think there was no new driver in a team who finished in front of his more experienced (in that team) team mate. Ricciardo was I think the only one who actually didn’t make any mistakes apart being slower than his teammate. Vettel was nowhere even though he’s a pretty strong rain driver, Sainz made a couple of big mistakes, Tsunoda ofcourse wasn’t really that strong, heck even Alonso made mistakes even though he is an old dog compared to others in the currrent F1 field

you can't compare a red bull's potential performance with that of the mid field teams. it's ok for the mid field cars to have problems due to lack of downforce, tyre and balance issues. but rb16b is leader of the pack and best red bull car in a long time now. same thing applies for bottas, who was equally bad and he has always been that bad in wet weather. just look at last year's performance in hungary and turkey (cold and low grip). their team mates are in a different league in such conditions. my original point was the hype given to perez that he is some sort of alpha and an equal of hamilton and max. what we saw in the race was the reality.

darkpino

MKlaus wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 13:42
darkpino wrote:
MKlaus wrote:

you can't compare a red bull's potential performance with that of the mid field teams. it's ok for the mid field cars to have problems due to lack of downforce, tyre and balance issues. but rb16b is leader of the pack and best red bull car in a long time now. same thing applies for bottas, who was equally bad and he has always been that bad in wet weather. just look at last year's performance in hungary and turkey (cold and low grip). their team mates are in a different league in such conditions. my original point was the hype given to perez that he is some sort of alpha and an equal of hamilton and max. what we saw in the race was the reality.
I think it's too early to write off Sergio. And I also think that both Lewis and Max are once in a decade or maybe even once in a lifetime talents. Bottas at Williams wasn't a bad driver, just like Rosberg wasn't a bad driver either but Lewis made and make them both look like rookie's. Max is the same case imo; Ricciardo was the only one who could come a little close to him (but still finishing 20 seconds behind Max in a race was in my memory on more occasions). That doesn't mean they are bad drivers they just ran into a talent which passes by only once in a decade

NathanOlder

MKlaus wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 13:42
darkpino wrote:
MKlaus wrote:

Well the hype around Perez maybe comes from him being 1-1 in qualy against a guy who is regarded as one of the fastest on the grid. This with Perez being new to the team as well remember, having spent a total of 24 hours racing in a RedBull car. Max has been there for over half a decade. Well done Sergio =D>
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Sieper

It is also 1-1 between that guy and the sir.

dans79

Sieper wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 18:23
Not exactly the same though, as they are in different cars.

I think the general point is that some people assumed Sergio would stand no chance against Max in qualifying, and that's already been shown to not be the case.
197 104 103 7

Wouter

dans79 wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 19:07
Sieper wrote:

I think the general point is that some people assumed Sergio would stand no chance against Max in qualifying, and that's already been shown to not be the case.
Why is it not 1-1? How do you think it is?

Normally Max is better at qualifying, but he had a broken wheel bearing in Imola, so he was not allowed to drive over the curbs and that took him time. The wheel bearing was replaced on Saturday evening.
The Power of Dreams!

darkpino

dans79 wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 19:07
Sieper wrote:

Haha wow what an assumption after two races... At the end of the season it could be very well 22-1 but according to you 'that won't be the case'
One swallow doesn't make a summer mate