2021 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, Apr 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
dans79

Re: 2021 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, Apr 16 - 18

It's almost unbelievable how much ground he made up down the strait. He took 9 tenths out of Ric.
197 104 103 7

Just_a_fan

dans79 wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 16:16

It's almost unbelievable how much ground he made up down the strait. He took 9 tenths out of Ric.
I think the cars would have struggled had the DRS activation point not been moved. They wouldn't have been able to get close enough to have a go in to the first left hander otherwise. We could see on that clip how even with DRS for almost the whole straight, the Mercedes needed to be about 7-8/10ths behind to have a sniff. 9/10ths was too far back against Leclerc and Norris.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

dans79

Just_a_fan wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 16:50
9/10ths was too far back against Leclerc and Norris.
I think that's mainly because they were faster.

I mean Danny finished over 24 seconds behind Carlos, Stroll was even further back. Carlos seemed to have a hard time getting the power down through the last 2 corners. Charles had DRS on Norris, and then as soon has he lost that Lewis got by. Lando was the hardest, and I assume that was because the mclaren had good strait line speed if memory serves.
197 104 103 7

nacho

DRS was powerful here this year, I think they extended it for 2021.

LHamilton

NathanOlder wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 08:56
LHamilton wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 04:01
Looks like Perez did use more kerb than Verstappen during their respective Q3 run. So there might be something to it.

Verstappens mistake in the second corner lost him quite a bit I must say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhEMuDNGy7I
Perez used more ?

I see they were using the same through
Tamburello, entry and mid, but max goes wider on exit and loses time.
Villeneuve same amount on way through but Sergio uses a tiny bit more of the exit curb.
Tosa they use the same.
Piratella they use the same.
Acque Minerale Max used more on exit (thats a very nasty curb)
Variante Alta Max used more on enty , mid and exit (they are the most brutal curbs on the circuit)
Rivazza both drivers use the same amount

So I see Max using more overall and more on all the nasty curbs. So I don't believe he held off the curbs in qualifying.
Go and rewatch the video, because this ain't correct.

Rivazza, Perez used more on entry kerbs. Both of them.
Acque Minerale Perez used more on entry curb up towards Variante Alta.
Piratella Perez used more on entry kerb.

Some of the others are minor ones, but the ones listed above is quite substantial.

Looks like there are points where Max tries to avoid the higher kerbs (entries) which are the ones that unsettles the car the most. The exit kerbs probably aren't that bad, even though they are rough. Because as you said, in the Tamburello corner they take similar kerb, but Max is the one that got an oversteer moment and lost time. But yeah. Ifs, buts and maybes

Can't see Perez outqualify Verstappen to many times if Verstappen is hailed to be this 'outworldly' driver. 3-4 times I'd say, when Max has his off days. Perez went 5-15 against Ocon in 2018 I believe. And on average something like 8-12 against Hulkenberg.
Last edited by LHamilton on 23 Apr 2021, 17:43, edited 1 time in total.

NathanOlder

LHamilton wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 17:32
NathanOlder wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 08:56
LHamilton wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 04:01
Looks like Perez did use more kerb than Verstappen during their respective Q3 run. So there might be something to it.

Verstappens mistake in the second corner lost him quite a bit I must say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhEMuDNGy7I
Perez used more ?

I see they were using the same through
Tamburello, entry and mid, but max goes wider on exit and loses time.
Villeneuve same amount on way through but Sergio uses a tiny bit more of the exit curb.
Tosa they use the same.
Piratella they use the same.
Acque Minerale Max used more on exit (thats a very nasty curb)
Variante Alta Max used more on enty , mid and exit (they are the most brutal curbs on the circuit)
Rivazza both drivers use the same amount

So I see Max using more overall and more on all the nasty curbs. So I don't believe he held off the curbs in qualifying.
Go and rewatch the video, because this ain't correct.

Rivazza, Perez used more on entry kerbs. Both of them.
Acque Minerale Perez used more on entry curb up towards Variante Alta.
Piratella Perez used more on entry kerb.

Some of the others are minor ones, but the ones listed above is quite substantial.

Looks like there are points where Max tries to avoid the higher kerbs (entries) which are the ones that unsettles the car the most. The exit kerbs probably aren't that bad, even though they are rough. Because as you said, in the Tamburello corner they take similar kerb, but Max is the one that got an oversteer moment and lost time. But yeah. Ifs, buts and maybes

Can't see Perez outqualify Verstappen to many times if Verstappen is hailed to be this 'outworldly' driver. 3-4 times I'd say, when Max has his off days. Perez went 15-5 against Ocon in 2018 I believe. And on average something like 12-8 against Hulkenberg.
I have to disagree, the entry curbs are nowhere near as back as the sausage exit curbs. Acque Minerale exit and Variante Alta are the killer ones and Max uses more.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

TimW

Given that it is the pullrod eye bearing, it will be front suspension performance that is affected. I'd guess that is less of an issue on turn exit.

PlatinumZealot

The most isee is a sticky bearing.. Probably more damping than normal.

Goes to show that the RedBull is dominant in qualifying this year. A sticky pull rod and a big mistake off the track and it was within hundredths for pole.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

mzso

That left wheel has a fair bit more angle on it, right?

Is that typical?

Just_a_fan

dans79 wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 17:05
Just_a_fan wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 16:50
9/10ths was too far back against Leclerc and Norris.
I think that's mainly because they were faster.

I mean Danny finished over 24 seconds behind Carlos, Stroll was even further back. Carlos seemed to have a hard time getting the power down through the last 2 corners. Charles had DRS on Norris, and then as soon has he lost that Lewis got by. Lando was the hardest, and I assume that was because the mclaren had good strait line speed if memory serves.
Yes, but he got past each of the team mates easily enough. Which adds an interesting variable.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

siskue2005

mzso wrote:
24 Apr 2021, 00:45
That left wheel has a fair bit more angle on it, right?

Is that typical?
Pro and Anti Ackermann suspension
viewtopic.php?t=16957

Unf

dans79 wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 16:16

Incredible overtaking... with magic button called "DRS" which cause that guy in front can do literally nothing to defend himself. Rubbish.

PhillipM

Yep, that's the reason so many still want DRS gone.

foxmulder_ms

haha lol.. DRS is the best thing happened to F1 after Lewis ;)

Sieper

I agree, DRS is needed it has brought so many interesting battles. Even these overtakes weren’t that easy imho. Without DRS we would see way less fights.