Formula E

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Wouter

Re: Formula E

Teamprincipal Dilbagh Gill from Mahindra Racing about Alex Lynns condition.
I don't think there were only precautionary hospital checks. Speedy recovery it says.

The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

jjn9128 wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 23:04
F1NAC wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 22:37
What the ....? Missile interception during GP

https://mobile.twitter.com/AuroraIntel/ ... 3577221120
Is this real/true??
It seems to be true. From another article:

Whether the Houthis' attack yesterday was aimed at Formula E, which Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman also attended, is not entirely clear. In other cities in Saudi Arabia, rockets and some drones were also shot out of the sky that evening.
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/78864/sa ... ekend.html
The Power of Dreams!

jjn9128

Wouter wrote:
28 Feb 2021, 11:20
jjn9128 wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 23:04
F1NAC wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 22:37
What the ....? Missile interception during GP

https://mobile.twitter.com/AuroraIntel/ ... 3577221120
Is this real/true??
It seems to be true. From another article:

Whether the Houthis' attack yesterday was aimed at Formula E, which Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman also attended, is not entirely clear. In other cities in Saudi Arabia, rockets and some drones were also shot out of the sky that evening.
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/78864/sa ... ekend.html
Doesn't seem like the Formula E was the target though. Still. If I were an FE driver or team member I'd be questioning the logic of going back next season.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

MtthsMlw

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

Scorpaguy

Today's Valencia E-Prix...strangest race I have ever seen. The layout was great..it was wet...but the kW reductions ruined what could have been a great race.

jjn9128

Scorpaguy wrote:
25 Apr 2021, 04:01
Today's Valencia E-Prix...strangest race I have ever seen. The layout was great..it was wet...but the kW reductions ruined what could have been a great race.
Race was peak Formula E. Had everything. Lotterer crashing into everyone. Penalties for stupid infringements. Then half the field ran out of energy. Only 5 cars made it to the line, the other finishers 4 crawled around the lap in about 6min saving energy.

I think it'll be a one off. Without the energy reduction behind the safety car the drivers who actually saved the energy to make the lap count would be punished. Plus all the manufacturers asked for it but most miscalculated.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

nzjrs

Argh, this race is a catastrophe for Formula E reputation.

Wouter

Qualification: All Q4 drivers in the superpole! #-o

The Power of Dreams!

El Scorchio

At least it was approaching watchable on a proper track for a change, despite the rain, spins and the terrible graphics plastered all over the screen. The battery farce was probably the most entertaining bit though.

Got to see 20 plastic bat mobiles able to do something slightly different than just drive through a lap long tunnel line astern.

Why do they have qualifying in groups like that btw? It seems inherently unfair. Why not just do it like F1?

Why do they always intentionally put at least one stupidly tight corner in every track which inevitably leads to a pile up?
Last edited by El Scorchio on 25 Apr 2021, 11:09, edited 1 time in total.

Wouter

Sunday qualifying of the FormelE in Valencia: track conditions ensure a colorful starting grid!
Fastest 1:28.548 vs Slowest 1:34.610 !!!

The Power of Dreams!

jjn9128

El Scorchio wrote:
25 Apr 2021, 11:08
At least it was approaching watchable on a proper track for a change, despite the rain, spins and the terrible graphics plastered all over the screen. The battery farce was probably the most entertaining bit though.

Got to see 20 plastic bat mobiles able to do something slightly different than just drive through a lap long tunnel line astern.

Why do they have qualifying in groups like that btw? It seems inherently unfair. Why not just do it like F1?

Why do they always intentionally put at least one stupidly tight corner in every track which inevitably leads to a pile up?
Gotta have a hard braking corner to regen some energy.

On tracks, the idea is to take the racing to inner cities, in practice I think the cars are now too fast for the majority of circuits they design.
#aerogandalf

El Scorchio

jjn9128 wrote:
25 Apr 2021, 11:55
El Scorchio wrote:
25 Apr 2021, 11:08

Gotta have a hard braking corner to regen some energy.

On tracks, the idea is to take the racing to inner cities, in practice I think the cars are now too fast for the majority of circuits they design.
Ah. Well to be fair I’ll totally concede the point about the tight corners then, even if it is a recipe for a multi car crash every race.

I do know about the ethos of bringing the races to city centres, which is admirable but it does make for some god awful racing.

I know I’ve many times spoken harsh words about FE on here but I just think it could be done so much better, and they are missing a huge open goal with this series.

Scorpaguy

I think the FE concept was brilliant...EV racing in city centers. But they totally blew it with the design of the cars. Why they picked a bad F1 knockoff that is way too fragile (and slow to even benefit from said design) instead of going with a 4WD WRC-esc theme that would allow for wheel to wheel hijinks is beyond me.

nzjrs

Scorpaguy wrote:
25 Apr 2021, 23:01
I think the FE concept was brilliant...EV racing in city centers. But they totally blew it with the design of the cars. Why they picked a bad F1 knockoff that is way too fragile (and slow to even benefit from said design) instead of going with a 4WD WRC-esc theme that would allow for wheel to wheel hijinks is beyond me.
I think the cars aren't very fragile tbh, the racing is often quite good with a bit of bumping here and there.