General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Snorked

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

https://car.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1318737.html
Q: How do you see the power map of Mercedes and Red Bull Honda?

Yamamoto MD: At this point, looking at the power unit alone, I think that Mercedes and Honda are "go and go" (that is, they are in equilibrium). Looking at the Bahrain Grand Prix, there is a part where Honda has a slight advantage in terms of electrical feedback. Overall, there are bumps and dips when compared in various places such as torque, and I am in a situation where I can be proud that I can really compete with Mercedes.

After that, I think that the difference will come out depending on the characteristics of the circuit. There will be courses where the long wheelbase Mercedes is dominant, and conversely, there will be courses where Red Bull's high rake is dominant. The difference will also depend on the aerodynamic characteristics of both.

The strategy of these two team strategists is outstanding in the current F1 team, so in the end, Toto (Mr. Toto Wolf, representative of Mercedes F1 team) and Christian (Mr. Christian Horner, representative of Red Bull Racing team) are the top players. I think it will be decided by the total strength including the strategy of the two people. Looking at the Bahrain race, I think it was really fifty-fifty.

Q: What kind of places do you want us to pay attention to in the next round of Imola?

Yamamoto MD: Looking back on last year's race, I think Red Bull Honda is likely to have the upper hand in Imola. The reason is that it took a long time for Max to overtake Valtteri Bottas last year.

Max was quick in the infield, but when I got up from the final corner and lined up in the first corner using DRS, Honda's deployment (power from the battery) was cut off earlier last year, so the battery was dead. There was a situation where I wanted to pull it out but I couldn't pull it out. HRD Sakura has been working hard this season, and Honda is making up for it.

Last year's Imola was a reflection point, but this year it is clear. Imola is running a lot of Red Bull and Alpha Tauri, and there is data, so I think that I can expect more than usual.

Wouter

"3 Honda-Powered Cars Will Start In The Top 5 At The Imola GP” \:D/

Three Honda-powered cars will start in the top five at Imola as Red Bull Racing agonisingly missed out on pole position with both cars by less than 0.1s. After a strong performance throughout the weekend, we unfortunately lost one car in Q1 when Yuki crashed early on in the Scuderia AlphaTauri.
1 Hamilton.......1:14.411
2 Perez...............1:14.446
3 Verstappen...1:14.498
4 Leclerc............1:14.740
5 Gasly................1:14.790

https://honda.racing/f1/post/qualifying-imola

The Power of Dreams!

etusch

Wouter wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 19:30
"3 Honda-Powered Cars Will Start In The Top 5 At The Imola GP” \:D/

Three Honda-powered cars will start in the top five at Imola as Red Bull Racing agonisingly missed out on pole position with both cars by less than 0.1s. After a strong performance throughout the weekend, we unfortunately lost one car in Q1 when Yuki crashed early on in the Scuderia AlphaTauri.
1 Hamilton.......1:14.411
2 Perez...............1:14.446
3 Verstappen...1:14.498
4 Leclerc............1:14.740
5 Gasly................1:14.790

https://honda.racing/f1/post/qualifying-imola

Stewards are very rude over Gasly. I felt like as if one of them especially watch on Gasly, to delete his lap time as soon as if he go a mm out of white line

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

Developing Our 2021 Power Unit

"The original plan was to implement this new structure PU this year in 2021," Asaki-san explains. "But then for a variety of reasons, it was decided not to proceed with a brand new PU. However, the thinking on this really changed when Honda announced that we would be leaving the sport. I went to President Hachigo, and said to him that we would really like to implement this new structure PU for our last year in the sport. And he kindly accepted that request.

"With the green light given, our engineers got to work on trying to get everything ready for the new season. That was never going to be an easy task, given the scope of the changes being made to the power unit's architecture.
https://honda.racing/f1/post/behind-the-2021-honda-power-uni t

The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

This year’s Japanese Grand Prix will be held under the official title of the

“FIA Formula One World Championship Honda Japanese Grand Prix 2021.”

Honda to be Title Sponsor of the 2021 FIA Formula One Japanese Grand Prix

TOKYO, Japan, April 24, 2021 – Honda Motor Co., Ltd. today announced that it has been confirmed as the title sponsor of the 2021 FIA* Formula One (F1) World Championship Japanese Grand Prix which will be held at Suzuka Circuit (Suzuka City, Mie Prefecture), October 8-10, 2021.
The Power of Dreams!

Slo Poke

Wouter wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 11:06

Developing Our 2021 Power Unit

"The original plan was to implement this new structure PU this year in 2021," Asaki-san explains. "But then for a variety of reasons, it was decided not to proceed with a brand new PU. However, the thinking on this really changed when Honda announced that we would be leaving the sport. I went to President Hachigo, and said to him that we would really like to implement this new structure PU for our last year in the sport. And he kindly accepted that request.

"With the green light given, our engineers got to work on trying to get everything ready for the new season. That was never going to be an easy task, given the scope of the changes being made to the power unit's architecture.
https://honda.racing/f1/post/behind-the-2021-honda-power-uni t

https://d3dup97zc5osq9.cloudfront.net/p ... large.webp
Blimey Wouter!
To think that a stoppage in Austria could do all that?
I Wish them Well.

ispano6

Slo Poke wrote:
Blimey Wouter!
I Wish them Well.
It wasn't just a stoppage now was it? A PU that was legal in Australia was no longer in Austria.

Slo Poke

ispano6 wrote:
25 Apr 2021, 10:23
Slo Poke wrote:
Blimey Wouter!
I Wish them Well.
It wasn't just a stoppage now was it? A PU that was legal in Australia was no longer in Austria.
I’d take that matter up with the Austrian Scrutineering guys and gals, if I was you!
Now run along.

ispano6

Slo Poke wrote:
25 Apr 2021, 12:28
ispano6 wrote:
25 Apr 2021, 10:23
Slo Poke wrote:
Blimey Wouter!
I Wish them Well.
I’d take that matter up with the Austrian Scrutineering guys and gals, if I was you!
Now run along.
No need, Asaki-san and team answered back already.

Wouter

https://honda.racing/f1/post/portuguese-gp-race-setup

Race Setup - #PortugueseGP Portimao

Toyoharu Tanabe
Honda Racing F1

We are having our best start to a season since Honda returned to Formula 1 in the hybrid era, with a second place and a win for Max Verstappen and Red Bull Racing Honda in the first two races.

Scuderia AlphaTauri Honda has also performed very well in the very close competition right behind the top teams. However, after just two rounds, we know we still have a long season ahead of us. We’ll try to maximize our performance and results in every single race with our four drivers and both teams.

Last year, Formula 1 visited the Algarve circuit for the first time as part of the unusual calendar as a result of the pandemic. Although not far from the beach resorts in southern Portugal, it is set among the hills and offers a unique challenge with many ups and downs and severe gradient changes. This weekend, everyone will have last year’s data to rely on when it comes to our preparation and so we should be able to start off in better shape than last year. So far, the weather forecast is predicting a high possibility of rain on Friday.

We will therefore need to work as efficiently as possible in the limited amount of free practice time, to update our new PU data, in order to be fully prepared for Saturday and Sunday.

Pierre Gasly..............

Max Verstappen .............

Yuki Tsunoda.............

Sergio Perez ............
The Power of Dreams!

Type-Rem

Wouter wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 12:13
https://honda.racing/f1/post/portuguese-gp-race-setup

Race Setup - #PortugueseGP Portimao

Toyoharu Tanabe
Honda Racing F1

Pierre Gasly..............

Max Verstappen .............

Yuki Tsunoda.............

Sergio Perez ............
Wow, looks like high expectations for the weekend!

Wouter

https://honda.racing/f1/post/saturday-portugal

Qualifying F1 2021 Round 3 Saturday, 1st May 2021
Red Bull Racing Honda Lockout The Second Row In Portugal Portimao

It will be an all-Red Bull Racing second row as three of the four Honda-powered cars reached Q3 in qualifying at the Portuguese Grand Prix.

Toyoharu Tanabe
Honda Racing F1

Today’s qualifying was run in very difficult conditions for everyone, with gusting wind and low grip levels. Red Bull Racing Honda took both second row places on the grid with Max third and Perez fourth. For Scuderia AlphaTauri Honda, Gasly also got into Q3 to line up ninth on the grid, his sixth consecutive top ten qualifying stretching back to last year, which proves how consistent he is. His team-mate Yuki was racing here for the very first time and he missed the cut to Q3 and qualified 14th, but we are sure he will deliver his usual aggressive performance in the race. Track conditions were very different today to Friday, so we will look at this factor carefully in our plans for the race.

Max -----------

Sergio ----------

Pierre ----------

Yuki -----------
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

#SpanishGP Race Setup Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya

https://honda.racing/f1/post/spanish-gp-race-setup

Toyoharu Tanabe
Honda Racing F1

After last Sunday’s race in Portugal, we have now moved across to the Barcelona-Catalunya Circuit to complete the first back-to-back pair of races of this season, which means it is a busy time for everyone, especially from a transportation and logistical point of view. The Barcelona track had been the regular venue for pre-season testing for many years, but because of the on-going pandemic, this year the test was shifted to Bahrain. Nevertheless, all the teams and most of the drivers have a good understanding of the Catalunya circuit and have plenty of available data.

From the first three races, it’s clear that both teams are performing at a higher level than last year and we will get a better understanding of how we can improve even more after a weekend and a race at this benchmark circuit and get important information on how to keep moving forward on the development front for future races. In Portugal, we had a trouble free time on the PU front and it will be important to maintain that situation in this close fight for the championships.

We have been working hard, studying data from the past at this venue as well as from the first three races of this year, to ensure we are as well prepared as possible, as well as looking at optimising energy management settings to suit each team and driver. We hope that the Spanish GP will see us make a step forward with both our teams.
The Power of Dreams!