2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
DarthPlagueisTheVise

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

How much fuel does merc have in lewis' car lol
Technical Noob

djones

mkay wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 23:54
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... -hamilton/

Per AMuS, Bottas' crash cost the team £1m.
George cost the team £1m. And also a shot at the win by not letting Hamilton pass easily.

I have not managed to watch the FP sessions today. Does the car look less stable than the Redbull still, or do they look to be getting on top of things?

Hoffman900

djones wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 16:59
mkay wrote:

George cost the team £1m. And also a shot at the win by not letting Hamilton pass easily.

I have not managed to watch the FP sessions today. Does the car look less stable than the Redbull still, or do they look to be getting on top of things?
Getting on top of things.

I’d argue Bahrain just exacerbated how far off they were, high winds and a dusty track. I don’t think they came into the season as far off as the media made it out to be.

cheeRS

djones wrote:
mkay wrote:

Glad to see someone else mention this. He messed up Hamilton's race and within 15 seconds of that he ruined Bottas' race. #-o
🤭 wrote:
“Being the 'most successful statistically' has nothing to do with being the 'best'. neither when it comes to the cars, nor when it comes to the drivers” 😂

velizare

cheeRS wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 19:24
djones wrote:
mkay wrote:

Glad to see someone else mention this. He messed up Hamilton's race and within 15 seconds of that he ruined Bottas' race. #-o
actually, he saved hamilton's race.

aMessageToCharlie

cheeRS wrote:
djones wrote:
mkay wrote:

Hamilton messed up his own race and got lucky that Russell saved him by bringing out the safety car.

cheeRS

velizare wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 19:26
cheeRS wrote:
djones wrote:

Not really. He was clearly getting blue flags and stayed on the racing line while he was following Bottas. That caused Hamilton to go off-line (wet) and to slide off track. Had he moved over like it is required to do, Ham would have been much closer to Verstappen. True, the safety car redeemed his race, but it was unnecessary and would have been better to just obey the blue flags.

Imagine if that was Verstappen behind Russel and Verstappen slid off track because he was losing time and Russel wouldn't move over? It'd be a riot.

Don't get me wrong, Ham is my fav driver and I genuinely feel that Russel should be in the Merc alongside him next year. Russel is hugely talented.
🤭 wrote:
“Being the 'most successful statistically' has nothing to do with being the 'best'. neither when it comes to the cars, nor when it comes to the drivers” 😂

zibby43

From Shovlin in the debrief:

“We’d found some damage on both cars at the end of the day that will have been costing some performance and will certainly explain some of Lewis’s issues on the long run but even with that corrected, we could do with finding a bit more pace. The single lap looks really close with Red Bull but Ferrari were also consistently around our pace so we’ll prepare ourselves for another close fight tomorrow. Likewise, the long runs all seem to overlay pretty closely so hopefully that’s a sign we’ll be in for an exciting race on Sunday.”

Shov seems pretty optimistic.

mkay

zibby43 wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 21:04
From Shovlin in the debrief:

“We’d found some damage on both cars at the end of the day that will have been costing some performance and will certainly explain some of Lewis’s issues on the long run but even with that corrected, we could do with finding a bit more pace. The single lap looks really close with Red Bull but Ferrari were also consistently around our pace so we’ll prepare ourselves for another close fight tomorrow. Likewise, the long runs all seem to overlay pretty closely so hopefully that’s a sign we’ll be in for an exciting race on Sunday.”

Shov seems pretty optimistic.
Ultimately, it's going to come down to whoever does the best job unlocking the tyres' potential overnight.

El Scorchio

cheeRS wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 20:02

Imagine if that was Verstappen behind Russel and Verstappen slid off track because he was losing time and Russel wouldn't move over? It'd be a riot.
The gravel would be at fault for getting in his way :lol:

velizare

cheeRS wrote:
velizare wrote:
cheeRS wrote:

Not really. He was clearly getting blue flags and stayed on the racing line while he was following Bottas. That caused Hamilton to go off-line (wet) and to slide off track. Had he moved over like it is required to do, Ham would have been much closer to Verstappen. True, the safety car redeemed his race, but it was unnecessary and would have been better to just obey the blue flags.

Don't get me wrong, Ham is my fav driver and I genuinely feel that Russel should be in the Merc alongside him next year. Russel is hugely talented.
nah, blue flag does not force you from the dry surface to the wet, since accidents may happen. as hamilton demonstrated. you just have to let the faster car passing by, as its secure. no one blamed russell for this.

NathanOlder

velizare wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 22:28
cheeRS wrote:
velizare wrote:

nah, blue flag does not force you from the dry surface to the wet, since accidents may happen. as hamilton demonstrated. you just have to let the faster car passing by, as its secure. no one blamed russell for this.
But slowing quite a bit on the dry line forces the car behind on to the wet. And George lifted a lot to let Lewis through.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

cheeRS

velizare wrote:
cheeRS wrote:
velizare wrote:

So if a track is just starting to dry, and there is only a semi-dry line that is a car's width, that would neccessitate that the faster car would always have to go into the wet to pass a blue flagged car. Is that legal? I guess so, I'm not sure. But in reality, everyone that is blue flagged slows down IF it is a straightaway or moves out of the racing line briefly to let the car pass. I'm not saying that Russel should have been penalized. It's tantamount to overtaking someone during their qualifying lap: Is it legal? Yes. Is the driver being a huge d*ck for doing it? Absolutely.

Again, if that was Tsunoda in the Alpha instead of Russel, and it was Max that went off track, it'd be all over the news.
🤭 wrote:

zibby43

From AMuS:

"Can Mercedes now also take fast corners?

In the first two races, Mercedes lost its time on the Red Bull in the fast corners. Nine of the 15 corners in the Autodromo do Algarve are over 200 km / h. And in terms of paper, that should be the territory of Red Bull. Nevertheless, Mercedes topped both timesheets.

The GPS analysis, on the other hand, confirms the picture of the first two races. Red Bull wins the battle of the fast corners. 10 km / h in curve 1, 6 to 7 km / h in curves 7 and 8. Mercedes is 5 km / h faster at the apex of curves 3, 5, 10 and 13. In a direct comparison with Hamilton, Verstappen makes up a tenth of the sum of all fast corners, but loses 0.3 seconds in the slower corners."

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... un-zeiten/

Spacepace

NathanOlder wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 22:56
velizare wrote:
cheeRS wrote:

But slowing quite a bit on the dry line forces the car behind on to the wet. And George lifted a lot to let Lewis through.
This!!! I have been thinking this since it happened. I tried to be neutral on the matter and look at it both ways but what I believed happened from the start was that Russell was trying to follow blue flags and at the same time gain an advantage with Bottas ahead. I have a hunch that this is what Wolff believed too and the reason he was so pissed off for.