2021 FIM MotoGP WC

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
etusch

Re: 2021 FIM MotoGP WC

rscsr wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 20:31
Based on the FP2 I was looking at the race pace. I.e. laps about 8-15 on used tyres. MotoGP Lap Analysis
Franco Morbidelli is just at 1'38:0 although he had a couple of laps below on the same tyres in the previous stint.
Aleix Espargaro seems to have the great race pace at about 1'38.0
Takaaki Nakagami seems to have great pace at about 1'38:1
Fabio Quartararo, Maverick Vinales and Alex Rins are around 1'38.3
Stefan Bradl also doesn't seem to be too bad at 1'38:3

and the Ducatis and KTM are at about 1'38.8 (although Binder and Bagnaia don't seem to be on the limit yet, since they still got faster each lap)
Nakagami was better at his every attempt at first two sector but lost last two everytime. Good thing is he was consistant. Honda looks strong here. Only A.Marquez is not there. It is only my feeling that factory honda's are intentionally participate Q1.

etusch

etusch

I didn't understand how Nakagami performed so well (also Bradle was not bad ) but factory Hondas so bad. At first I thought that they just trying different things and will be there when Q came. I thought that they are after more lap count for riders.

Cuky

rscsr

etusch wrote:
01 May 2021, 19:26
I didn't understand how Nakagami performed so well (also Bradle was not bad ) but factory Hondas so bad. At first I thought that they just trying different things and will be there when Q came. I thought that they are after more lap count for riders.
TN (Nakagami) is using the 2020 chassis again. They brought the 2021 and the 2020 chassis for FP1 and he immediately felt comfortable on the old chassis again.
That the factory Honda's are kinda in trouble is very easy to explain.
MM is still not fit and has to rebuild his muscles. In the previous years he was always pushing from the first lap but here he began quite "casually". Kinda understandable, since he didn't have preseason at all.
PE is trying to force a result. He is always on the edge. And you usually can't expect any rythm from a rider that is so messy.

etusch

Thank you @rscsr. I wasn't know that TN used 2020 bike

Cuky

Whoa Pedro Acosta is destroying the Moto3 class this year. He took his 3rd win in a row and is the first ever rider in GP history to take podium in his first 4 career races

etusch

If I didn't heard wrong he said this track is not suits his riding style and he won anyway

n_we1ss

Maybe Lecuona can say adios to his ride. Either Fernandez or Gardner to take his ride & Acosta gets promoted to Moto2.

etusch

These yamahas are very strange. They are very strong when they are working but nobody knows if they will work or not.

rscsr

n_we1ss wrote:
02 May 2021, 12:03
Maybe Lecuona can say adios to his ride. Either Fernandez or Gardner to take his ride & Acosta gets promoted to Moto2.
I would be very surprised if Lecuona will be on the MotoGP grid next year. I didn't understand why they brought him in in the first place.

etusch wrote:
02 May 2021, 14:59
These yamahas are very strange. They are very strong when they are working but nobody knows if they will work or not.
It seems like FQ was in pain. At least it looked like that after he finished the race. Maybe armpump issues like in 2019.

J.A.W.

Well done Jack Miller in having gained a win on the factory Ducati, he's got grit.

I find it bemusing that some commentators seem to regularly note how 'frustrating'
it must be for Yamaha/Suzuki riders to be out-powered by the Ducati, yet never get
around to mentioning how 'frustrating' it must be for Ducati riders to be out-cornered...

I'd reckon that it is these differences, (even though all bikes are limited to engine
specifics in cylinder number/dimension) which, along with tyre conservation issues,
can make for a dynamic race, especially with regard to circuit layout particulars.

Nearly 1/2 a century ago, venerable race performance analyst Kevin Cameron wrote
about the Daytona 200*, where the nimble, yet fast & reliable Yamahas were able to
challenge much more powerful machines for the win, & it still appends as apropos:

"...handling will be pitted against power, a nice clean contest without complications.
It should be an interesting season."

*Page 137, Cycle Magazine June `73.
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Cuky

Quartararo had an armpump issues later in the race and he apparently in next few days he'll decide if he's going to another surgery or not.

I must say Morbidelli is the one that continues to impress me. He is dragging that 2 years old M1 to where it realistically shouldn't be. And Monster Yamaha team is showing that it wasn't all bike that was the problem in previous 3-4 years but riders as well. Rossi is sadly there not on merit anymore, unless you count how he popularized the sport as a valid reason to still be on the grid. And Vinales, I can't believe how patient Yamaha are with him. He does 2-3 races at the start of the season very good and then like something snaps inside of him and he can't do what he's paid to do.

I'd like to see Quartararo and Morbidelli in factory Yamaha. They have shown that they can work together and they are top two riders in Yamaha in my opinion.

nacho

etusch wrote:
01 May 2021, 19:26
Nakagami switched to 2020 chassis for this race.

Cuky

Update on Quartararo:

EDIT: Quartararo had a successful surgery for his arm pump
https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2021/05/ ... ery/371688