2021 Rules hit Mercedes hard. Not a coincidence.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Kingshark

Re: 2021 Rules hit Mercedes hard. Not a coincidence.

JordanMugen wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 23:20
PlatinumZealot wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 02:29
The car is still not back to full dominance. Until the relative lap-time losses compared to last year are similar to rivals then there is still some good investigation to do.
But nobody wants Mercedes to dominate...
Perhaps PlatinumZealot is simply intimidated at the prospect of Lewis having to face Max without a clear car advantage, and that is why he is moaning so much about the rules 8)

His argument about how the lap time deltas should be similar to last season are inherently dumb though, because that doesn’t even begin to take into account Honda’s improvement relative to Mercedes (which is, in my opinion, more influential than the aerodynamic regulation changes).

Sieper

It is even condescending. Year after year we simply hear Mercedes is best, done it best etc. Now a team is challenging, that is not because they are doing good (like Mercedes was in all those years). No, now it is unfair rule change aimed to hurt Mercedes the hardest that is cause.

Ergo, only mercedes engineers, of which there are the most with the biggest budget to boot, can do a good job. The others, well, they are just helped by FIA. I find that a bit of a unfair proposition.

PlatinumZealot

Kingshark wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 07:18
JordanMugen wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 23:20
PlatinumZealot wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 02:29
The car is still not back to full dominance. Until the relative lap-time losses compared to last year are similar to rivals then there is still some good investigation to do.
But nobody wants Mercedes to dominate...
Perhaps PlatinumZealot is simply intimidated at the prospect of Lewis having to face Max without a clear car advantage, and that is why he is moaning so much about the rules 8)

His argument about how the lap time deltas should be similar to last season are inherently dumb though, because that doesn’t even begin to take into account Honda’s improvement relative to Mercedes (which is, in my opinion, more influential than the aerodynamic regulation changes).
Nah. Alonso was the hardest opponent. Also I had more fear of Nico than I do of Max. Cant speak for other Lewis/ Mercedes supporters however.

Max is a nice kid and he races fairly. The other two attacked from all angles off the track and on the track. Cereberal assassins they were.

Speaking of cereberal assassins, Jenson Button was known for his politicking and swaying McLaren's strategic calls to his favour. Poor Lewis was young and didn't understand about tyre saving and strategy at that time. That Jenson Button was annoying as hell but I rated him nevertheless.

Prime Vettel was an interesting opponent.. I feared his luck and he had machiavellian way about him. His luck had left him in scorn now but damn Vettel was a lucky bastard. Call it champion's luck or whatever. I guess Lewis has that now.

But yeah.. Max doesn't bring those complications. Nothing to be intimidated about.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Kingshark

PlatinumZealot wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 16:53
Max doesn't bring those complications. Nothing to be intimidated about.
Max brings a complication that none of the others do

He bullies Hamilton in wheel-to-wheel combat 8)

Anyway, if you aren't worried about Max, then there's nothing to complain about regarding the new pecking order.

dans79

Kingshark wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 17:49
You call it bullying, I call it not having enough experience to know what can and can't lose you a championship!
197 104 103 7

Just_a_fan

Kingshark wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

He bullies other drivers generally. It will be interesting to see whether that comes back to bite him in the title fight. Hamilton is usually a very fair driver in wheel-to-wheel situations. That's helped him to run up so many race finishes over the years. Max has had his fair share of retirements / races damaged by his bullying.

It adds to the frisson of the season. 8)
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

PlatinumZealot

Kingshark wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Anyway, if you aren't worried about Max, then there's nothing to complain about regarding the new pecking order.
I'm just watching the sport for enjoyment.
If number 8 doesn't come this year, no problems. 2007, 2010, 2012, 2016 happened and life goes on.
This is not to even mention times when I was a williams bmw fan.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Kingshark

Here’s an article from back in June 2020, when the new regulations for 2021 were initially introduced:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... n0wDt.html

“ But the initial effect, as the teams put these new spec floors in simulation, might be expected to have more impact upon the high-rake cars (such as the Red Bull and others) than those optimised around a low rake angle (such as the Mercedes and Racing Point).“

LM10

Time to delete this rubbish thread. :D

nzjrs

PZ I'm going to need a ruling from you. Did 2021 tire construction and tire choice rule changes hit Red Bull hard and was this a coincidence?

Andres125sx

LM10 wrote:
01 May 2021, 17:06
Time to delete this rubbish thread. :D
Indeed!

PlatinumZealot

nzjrs wrote:
01 May 2021, 21:59
PZ I'm going to need a ruling from you. Did 2021 tire construction and tire choice rule changes hit Red Bull hard and was this a coincidence?
RedBull is better at warming up the softs, and still being kind on tyres due to it mechanical design (according to Paul DiResta), so no.

I am still not satisfied with the current gap between the RBR and the Merc however. We should be further ahead. Right now the races are too close to call and my blood pressure does not like it one bit.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

hollus

From the Imola GP thread:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
02 May 2021, 15:42
Nah he got mugged by fast starting RedBulls. Nothing he could have done. It was Vettel Kimi Max Singapore 2017 basically. Except this time Perez kept a straight wheell and the middle guy didn't drop back.

Its an OK situation. Ham had the race pace he could have easily won. So the real mistake was passing Russell into that damp zone. Still leading the championship and the car should be returning to dominanfe in a few races so its all good.
I think the thread is done.
Rivals, not enemies.