2021 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
max_speed

Re: 2021 Alpine F1 Team

JRindt wrote:
02 May 2021, 18:32
Yup, that final stint was more like the Alonso we were used to seeing. I’d wager my left pinkie that he'll beat Ocon in Barcelona
i also hope to see that. in barcelona he gets extra power ( being his home race ). hopefully barcelona brings back the galdiator version of fernando back. alpine pace was surprise today.

hope it was not track specific and can sustain itself going forward

Egresi Tamás

RedNEO

Barcelona will be a true test, high/medium speed corners. Pierre in interview with Kvyat teasing our car likes the low speed stuff like here and AT likes high speed like next track. If we can be as competitive there that will be positive.

RedNEO

Seeing Alonso right up there in sector times and even mixing it with the top cars is encouraging.

They just need to keep getting more out of the car and updates so they can stay in the fight.

Last edited by RedNEO on 03 May 2021, 10:36, edited 1 time in total.

Jambier

Very good performance today!

Finally Alpine where they are supposed to be this year.

Very happy with Fernando also, poor yesterday but I saw that his race mastery seem to be back a little bit

RedNEO

diffuser

As much as I know he'll be there soon. Not sure he'll be 100% Alonso in Spain. He will keep improving no doubt.

RedNEO

diffuser wrote:
02 May 2021, 22:10
As much as I know he'll be there soon. Not sure he'll be 100% Alonso in Spain. He will keep improving no doubt.
Exactly. It will be interesting to compare himself from Barcelona to the last race. It took Ocon a season and a winter including changing the people he worked with before he could shine this season so Alonso I imagine will keep getting better maybe even into next year.

Mansell89

Anyone get the impression that Alpine (and Merc) were firing those C1 tyres up better than the other teams?

Both seemed to be chewing their rears in Bahrain in the heat and the rear limited track, yet in cooler conditions and much harder tyres, they were head and shoulders the strongest teams on the C1 compound?

Just worth noting IMO

diffuser

Mansell89 wrote:
03 May 2021, 00:12
Anyone get the impression that Alpine (and Merc) were firing those C1 tyres up better than the other teams?

Both seemed to be chewing their rears in Bahrain in the heat and the rear limited track, yet in cooler conditions and much harder tyres, they were head and shoulders the strongest teams on the C1 compound?

Just worth noting IMO
Yep, I remember that. I wish I could explain it.

Probably what Fernando was referring to that he lost in quali.

Last year Danny Ric talked about something they had stumbled across, a sweet spot in the setup where everything just switches on. maybe it's still there ?

RedNEO

Alonso’s overtake on Gasly and Ricciardo

Blackout

They didnt 'stumble across' a new setup in 2020. They brought a new suspension in Silverstone2 that enlarged the setup window of the car and then they found better setups for the car that improved the high and medium speed turns performance without the need to add more wings.

Race speed traps are useless but qualy speed traps in Imola and especially Portimao, where the car was also fast in the twisty stuff, show that old engine still has grunt.
Although Ocon and Budkowski say it has lost some competitiveness... which is no surprise since it's more or less an RE19C

Budkowski confirms it's the same 2020 PU
Q: (Chris Medland – Racer) Marcin, a big focus at the start of this year has been on aero issues and rate concepts across different teams, but the two guys next to you seem to have made bigger changes to their power units than yourself and Mercedes did over the winter. Is that something you’ve seen play out in terms of performance and the pecking order in the early part of the year?

MB: It is true and it’s early days and we all do GPS analysis and competitiveness analysis; the reality is quite tricky to do and you need the data from a few races to build a good picture but yeah, we kept pretty much the same power units than last year. We’ve done some small evolutions to it and that’s less than what our competitors did. It was a strategy, we’re having a completely new power unit for next year and we’re talking about our arbitrating the ’21 car with the ’22 car, well, it’s the same for us. We have limited resources on the engine side and we need to chose our path carefully and we felt that it was a bigger gain to have in terms of producing a whole new power unit for next year and if the sacrifice was to keep the same power unit this year then it was worth doing. As a result, we are suffering a little bit this year in terms of competitiveness but you have to use your resources in the smartest way and that’s the choice we had to do.
https://www.fia.com/news/f1-2021-portug ... transcript
Last edited by Blackout on 04 May 2021, 13:24, edited 1 time in total.

diffuser

Blackout wrote:
04 May 2021, 11:48
They didnt 'stumble across' a new setup in 2020. They brought a new suspension in Silverstone2 that enlarged the setup window of the car and then they found better setups for the car that improved the high and medium speed turns performance without the need to add more wings.

Race speed traps are useless but qualy speed traps in Imola and especially Portimao, where the car was also fast in the twisty stuff, show that old engine still has grunt.
Although Ocon and Budkowski say it has lost some competitiveness... which is no surprise since it's more or less an RE19C

Budkowski confirms it's the same 2020 PU
Q: (Chris Medland – Racer) Marcin, a big focus at the start of this year has been on aero issues and rate concepts across different teams, but the two guys next to you seem to have made bigger changes to their power units than yourself and Mercedes did over the winter. Is that something you’ve seen play out in terms of performance and the pecking order in the early part of the year?

MB: It is true and it’s early days and we all do GPS analysis and competitiveness analysis; the reality is quite tricky to do and you need the data from a few races to build a good picture but yeah, we kept pretty much the same power units than last year. We’ve done some small evolutions to it and that’s less than what our competitors did. It was a strategy, we’re having a completely new power unit for next year and we’re talking about our arbitrating the ’21 car with the ’22 car, well, it’s the same for us. We have limited resources on the engine side and we need to chose our path carefully and we felt that it was a bigger gain to have in terms of producing a whole new power unit for next year and if the sacrifice was to keep the same power unit this year then it was worth doing. As a result, we are suffering a little bit this year in terms of competitiveness but you have to use your resources in the smartest way and that’s the choice we had to do.
That must be it, I didn't follow Renault that closely last year. Thought that the timing was wrong till I realized that Silverstone was the forth race of the year last year.

radosav

he looks and sounds different, more like Javier Bardem , maybe due to jaw injury🤔

Chanman141

Yeah he won't have those titanium plates removed from his jaws till the end of the season