2021 Portuguese Grand Prix - Portimão, Apr 30 - May 02

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
NathanOlder

Re: 2021 Portuguese Grand Prix - Portimão, Apr 30 - May 02

nacho wrote:
02 May 2021, 20:20
MKlaus wrote:
02 May 2021, 20:01
NathanOlder wrote:
02 May 2021, 19:57

Agreed, 1 thing I don't understand is why Bottas didn't attempt to defend against Max at all when Max got him. I think if he defended the inside line he probably kept position.
because he is bottas. he only defends hard against a williams.
Well he just came from the pits and had cold tires. Maybe if they had pitted him a lap or two earlier he would have been able to keep second.
The slow pitstop cost him more than anything. Without that Max doesn't pass and Bottas away. Whether or not the sensor issue Bottas had would have cost him P2 is anybodies guess though.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

zibby43
zibby43

godlameroso wrote:
02 May 2021, 20:11
It's very close, I think today's win was due to Hamilton switching on the tires, and capitalizing on Verstappen's mistake. Once it's was a duel between Hamilton and Verstappen, the gap was locked solid, there's very little pace difference between the two, and the tires played into Mercedes hands. Well done for Hamilton, a perfect drive, Verstappen did what he could but he had no answer.

On to the next one, I feel that Barcelona will play into the RBR's strengths, high speed high aero dependent corners.

Without Bottas, Hamilton cannot win so we should be mindful of the sacrifice he has to make.
Barcelona is a net aero-efficiency circuit because it has a mix of high, medium, and slow-speed corners. That's why it has been the testing circuit for years. And that's why Merc have dominated that circuit for years - because of their exemplary efficiency across all types of corners.

S3 in Barcelona is slow/traction-based, and Merc were taking 0.3s out of RBR in the slow corners this weekend, and only losing 0.1s in the high-speed stuff. The circuit tarmac is much more abrasive in Barcelona, so keeping the tires alive for the final sector is critical.

Finally, RBR seemed to have brought their first big upgrade to Portimao. Traditionally Merc debuts their largest upgrade package of the season at Barcelona, as well several other teams.

I have no idea what that last line is even supposed to mean. So I'm just going to ignore that.

nacho
nacho

Merc are not at the same level as RB in pit stops.

El Scorchio

nacho wrote:
02 May 2021, 20:59
Merc are not at the same level as RB in pit stops.
Not in the slightest. They really need to address that and not give away a free 1.5 seconds. Sensor issue for Bottas aside, a decent pit stop for him could have seen a 1-2 today.

RZS10

True, they didn't have to squeeze the last 0.x seconds out of pit stops the last few years, they'll have to sort this out because it's already costing them positions and points, with a decent pit stop Bottas would have comfortably been in second.

Sieper

That pit stop was just one second lost and getting heat into the white tires was very hard. It was always going to be the only chance for Max.

Merc in other years did not need the perfect pitstop. Now they indeed need to up their game there. Practice makes perfect.

Scorpaguy

I thought it an average race...likely a microcosm of the entire season. Regardless of what he says...Ham's tyres will last and he will collect another one. Max...the hill just got higher.

As for the Sr. class:
Kimi - WTF
Fred - looked good at the end...not sure why his quali has been subpar

Sophomores:
Lec, Ocon, & Ric - not bad
Bot & Sainz - pretty average

Jrs.
MSh & Tsu - maybe average
Rus - looked neutered
Maz - gotta get this Kid off track...he is going to impact the WDC!

Artur Craft

NathanOlder wrote:
02 May 2021, 19:03

Did you not see in Bahrain that they were not enforcing track limits in turn 4 until the stewards changed that mid race. Lewis didn't deserve a penalty, and thats why he didn't get one. move on buddy. This is Portugal not Bahrain
:lol:
So, now they change rules "mid race"????!

LH went off many times there and until then they said it was ok, then. When VER went off, suddenly they deciced to change their minds :roll:

I believe what you´re saying, btw. It´s F1 trademark to have inconsistent ruling, penalties and etc.

Jolle
Jolle

Raikkonen was very fast to park his car by the way... I wonder if there was any damage except the front wing.

Edax
Edax

Sieper wrote:
02 May 2021, 20:14
godlameroso wrote:
02 May 2021, 20:11
“Verstappen mistake” “Hamilton perfect”. What about the restart. Come on man. Verstappen gave it all but just didn’t have the pace here, on that we do agree. He tried over the limit to hang on to his lead over Hamilton. Even Bottas was chasing him down in stint 2.

You’re absolutely right. Hamilton makes mistakes. The Perfect Hamilton narrative has IMO been invented by Rosberg mainly to accentuate his own greatness. Notice that he cannot do one piece without a remark like “you have to be perfect to beat Lewis” followed shortly after by “ .....you know when I beat Lewis”.

But it is interesting to see how this is becoming a universal truth. Hamilton doesn’t make a mistake, hence, if Hamilton does it, it cannot be a mistake. That leads to funny situations like his clumsy contact with the barrier last race getting declared a miraculous save from the graveltrap.

That said, Hamilton of course is relentless, and arguably one of the fastest (if not the fastest) guy behind a steering wheel. He makes mistakes but more than makes up for it in his driving.

Hamilton got caught napping at the restart but he dug in and got back. Good for him, and especially good for the sport. Mistakes are penalized and victories are won. I still think Merc has an advantage, but RB is close enough to fight. And Perez seems to be joining the party shortly.

Shaping up to be a good year whoever wins.

Jolle wrote:
02 May 2021, 21:26
Raikkonen was very fast to park his car by the way... I wonder if there was any damage except the front wing.
I believe the front wing pinned under the nose prevented him from turning the steering wheel. He had to park it
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Just listened to RUSs post quali interview again. He was so bullish, terrible result.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

dans79

214270 wrote:
02 May 2021, 21:40
Just listened to RUSs post quali interview again. He was so bullish, terrible result.
It's because the Williams car produces a lot of peaky downforce it does well when it's in free air but not so much when it's behind someone else.
197 104 103 7

Sieper

Yep, he couldn’t do anything anymore. Good there was an exit just there. That was a weird one. Giovinazzi dud absolutely nothing, certainly nothing wrong, didn’t even move and Kimi just ran into him. Like he said, a misjudged info check and then, with the wind resistance gone, suddenly in his teammates tale. Ouch.

Jolle
Jolle

214270 wrote:
02 May 2021, 21:38
Jolle wrote:
02 May 2021, 21:26
I believe the front wing pinned under the nose prevented him from turning the steering wheel. He had to park it
possibly, he did half the corner before steering it towards a orange exit