2021 Portuguese Grand Prix - Portimão, Apr 30 - May 02

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Juzh

Re: 2021 Portuguese Grand Prix - Portimão, Apr 30 - May 02

On a different topic, just how slow was the race today? Fastest lap on new soft running on fumes still 1s off last year's Hamilton's fastest lap on ages old hards...

mafeotul
mafeotul

Does anyone know any news about the Merc PU, there has been some rumours about something they changed since Imola, as being quite controversial, and everyone in the paddock knowing about it.

I mean, something is definitely different, you don’t go from being 0.4 down to being unable to be passed with DRS, within 3 GP’s.
Last edited by mafeotul on 02 May 2021, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.

dans79 wrote:
02 May 2021, 21:43
214270 wrote:
02 May 2021, 21:40
Just listened to RUSs post quali interview again. He was so bullish, terrible result.
It's because the Williams car produces a lot of peaky downforce it does well when it's in free air but not so much when it's behind someone else.
This is a quote from RUS yesterday. He sure didn’t sound like he expected problems on race day:

“We’re on the medium tyre for the start tomorrow. The rivals around us, who are ahead, will be on the softs, which is not a great race tyre. So we’re in a great position. It’s all about a good start, a good first lap. We have the straight-line speed. The guys behind us will really struggle to overtake us, so eyes forward and maximum attack.”
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

dans79

Juzh wrote:
02 May 2021, 21:48
On a different topic, just how slow was the race today? Fastest lap on new soft running on fumes still 1s off last year's Hamilton's fastest lap on ages old hards...
No one to blame but pirelli and the FIA for that
197 104 103 7

dans79

214270 wrote:
02 May 2021, 21:52
dans79 wrote:
02 May 2021, 21:43
214270 wrote:
02 May 2021, 21:40
Just listened to RUSs post quali interview again. He was so bullish, terrible result.
It's because the Williams car produces a lot of peaky downforce it does well when it's in free air but not so much when it's behind someone else.
This is a quote from RUS yesterday. He sure didn’t sound like he expected problems on race day:

“We’re on the medium tyre for the start tomorrow. The rivals around us, who are ahead, will be on the softs, which is not a great race tyre. So we’re in a great position. It’s all about a good start, a good first lap. We have the straight-line speed. The guys behind us will really struggle to overtake us, so eyes forward and maximum attack.”
If you get a chance go back and listen to his team radio from today he was not very complimentary of the car.
197 104 103 7

Sieper

I wasn’t paying close attention but as some point Latifi even overtook him? Later I saw Russell was like 8-9 seconds up on Latifi. Reilly weird or?

Shrieker

NathanOlder wrote:
02 May 2021, 19:57
Agreed, 1 thing I don't understand is why Bottas didn't attempt to defend against Max at all when Max got him. I think if he defended the inside line he probably kept position.
That surprised me as well at first, but having looked at it again, had he taken a line anywhere other than the racing line there with those cold tires, he would've just gone straight, and would've lost time, in addition to his place.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Jolle
Jolle

Sieper wrote:
02 May 2021, 22:03
I wasn’t paying close attention but as some point Latifi even overtook him? Later I saw Russell was like 8-9 seconds up on Latifi. Reilly weird or?
Good chance with such difficult downforce, you loose temp from the tires so much that you come in a negative spiral.

zibby43
zibby43

mafeotul wrote:
02 May 2021, 21:51
Does anyone know any news about the Merc PU, there has been some rumours about something they changed since Imola, as being quite controversial, and everyone in the paddock knowing about it.

I mean, something is definitely different, you don’t go from being 0.4 down to being unable to be passed with DRS, within 3 GP’s.
Ted Kravitz said they had a mapping optimization upgrade that, for one, improved drivability this weekend.

Motorsport Italy (occasionally reliable, consistently unreliable) said they had a more aggressive mapping in terms of power this weekend.

I haven’t heard a single whisper about any sort of controversy.

That 0.4s wasn’t all down to the PU, and we all have access to some decent data about PU/straight line performance.

NathanOlder

Shrieker wrote:
02 May 2021, 22:05
NathanOlder wrote:
02 May 2021, 19:57
Agreed, 1 thing I don't understand is why Bottas didn't attempt to defend against Max at all when Max got him. I think if he defended the inside line he probably kept position.
That surprised me as well at first, but having looked at it again, had he taken a line anywhere other than the racing line there with those cold tires, he would've just gone straight, and would've lost time, in addition to his place.
True he would have lost time, but he could have at least had Max on his outside and then run him off the road. Like Lewis did to Max on lap 11 at turn 3 I think it was?
Last edited by NathanOlder on 02 May 2021, 22:56, edited 1 time in total.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

NathanOlder

zibby43 wrote:
02 May 2021, 22:19
mafeotul wrote:

Ted Kravitz said they had a mapping optimization upgrade that, for one, improved drivability this weekend.

Motorsport Italy (occasionally reliable, consistently unreliable) said they had a more aggressive mapping in terms of power this weekend.

That 0.4s wasn’t all down to the PU, and we all have access to some decent data about PU/straight line performance.
Dont forget to add that Max said he struggled with the final 2 corners to get the power down, and that the DRS zone was a large amount shorter this year. Everyone had much more difficulty passing today. Its not all about Mercedes finding more power.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Sieper

Yes, good points Nathan.

El Scorchio

NathanOlder wrote:
02 May 2021, 22:22
zibby43 wrote:
mafeotul wrote:

Dont forget to add that Max said he struggled with the final 2 corners to get the power down, and that the DRS zone was a large amount shorter this year. Everyone had much more difficulty passing today. Its not all about Mercedes finding more power.
If you can get great drive out of the corner before the main straight, then you’re going to be in a fine place both attacking and defending.

To add, I don’t think the Mercedes is faster or better per se. I think it was just better on the part of the track where it really mattered today.

zibby43
zibby43

El Scorchio wrote:
02 May 2021, 23:07
NathanOlder wrote:
02 May 2021, 22:22
zibby43 wrote:

If you can get great drive out of the corner before the main straight, then you’re going to be in a fine place both attacking and defending.

To add, I don’t think the Mercedes is faster or better per se. I think it was just better on the part of the track where it really mattered today.
I would say both Mercedes and Hamilton were very quick this weekend.

We’ll soon see what the data bears out from this race, but judging from the results and the eye test, the car looks substantially better and more balanced than the one we saw in Bahrain. And this is despite the fact that Portimao is a tricky, low-grip surface.

It remains close enough where attention to detail in every session matters, so we should continue to be in for a good season.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

It’s often said in racing that the most important corner is the one leading onto a big straight. I think Merc had the drive out if it that RB didn’t, and with the engines being close, it just wasn’t enough to overcome.