2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Wouter

Re: 2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Last edited by Wouter on 03 May 2021, 07:41, edited 1 time in total.
The Power of Dreams!

Sayeman

after all the hype looks like we are back to square one with the Honda engine. does anyone know if Honda has turned the power down because of reliability reasons?
Never Give up.

godlameroso

No, the Mercedes engine has a slight edge in power, and efficiency. Honda has closed the gap they have not overtaken Mercedes. The Mercedes seems to better under traction, where the RBR can carry a bit more speed in the corners, and is better under braking.

RBR could have maximized the team result by trying to beat Bottas. Had they put Perez on hards after running for so long in clean air, he should have been very quick at the end and would have had a chance at Bottas. Instead they tried to deny fastest lap and it almost backfired on them. Likely with the hard tire Perez could have bagged fastest lap anyway, having pitted so late, it would have prevented Bottas from even attempting it.

It was a close race, closer than it looked, had Bottas been trying to win Hamilton wouldn't have been able to just cruise by him like that.

Next race is Barcelona, traction is important but not as important as it was last year with the reprofiled turn 10. Now it's more about carrying speed through the medium speed corners, something the RB16B should excel at relative to Mercedes.

Next track should suit this car more.
Saishū kōnā

hasika
hasika

If Max didnt make the mistake in T14 and get passed by Hamilton in Lap9,maybe it will be a different story.But anyway the Mercedes had a better race pace this day.
It seems RB was not good in the last few corners of the track,Max just couldnt get close enough to Bottas before the main straight,so he couldnt overtake bottas in first Stint.

godlameroso

hasika wrote:
03 May 2021, 04:32
If Max didnt make the mistake in T14 and get passed by Hamilton in Lap9,maybe it will be a different story.But anyway the Mercedes had a better race pace this day.
It seems RB was not good in the last few corners of the track,Max just couldnt get close enough to Bottas before the main straight,so he couldnt overtake bottas in first Stint.
It's very gusty there, it's the highest part of the track, a lot of drivers were going too deep. It was hard to brake consistently there.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

I just noticed, they gave fastest lap to Bottas, does that mean Verstappen's lap got deleted?
Saishū kōnā

e30ernest
e30ernest

godlameroso wrote:
03 May 2021, 05:10
I just noticed, they gave fastest lap to Bottas, does that mean Verstappen's lap got deleted?
Yes. He went outside of T14.

dans79

godlameroso wrote:
03 May 2021, 05:10
Yes, for exceeding track limits in turn 14.
197 104 103 7

JordanMugen

Wouter wrote:
02 May 2021, 18:45
Marti_EF3 wrote:
02 May 2021, 18:34
I hope it's only track related. If Barcelona is the same story, it's game over
It is track related, they said it before the race. Max also said the updates didn't work very well because the slippery track. In Barcelona they will be better working. In 3 races 8 points behind a 7 times WC is not bad at all! :)
I guess so, but still small errors from Verstappen in Bahrain and Portimao that lost a position on the lap (and maybe for the rest of the race). Yet bigger error by Hamilton in Imola didn't cost any points. #-o

hasika
hasika

Verstappen's lap got deleted because he went outside of T14,but i think he couldnt get the point if he didnt exceed track limit.His lap was only 0.016s faster than Bottas‘s lap.

nzjrs

godlameroso wrote:
03 May 2021, 00:50
No, the Mercedes engine has a slight edge in power, and efficiency. Honda has closed the gap they have not overtaken Mercedes. The Mercedes seems to better under traction, where the RBR can carry a bit more speed in the corners, and is better under braking.

RBR could have maximized the team result by trying to beat Bottas. Had they put Perez on hards after running for so long in clean air, he should have been very quick at the end and would have had a chance at Bottas. Instead they tried to deny fastest lap and it almost backfired on them. Likely with the hard tire Perez could have bagged fastest lap anyway, having pitted so late, it would have prevented Bottas from even attempting it.
Not sure I agree - the Perez fastest lap play resulted in Hamilton not getting it, and tbh Verstappen should have really got it, so I would put that in the 'good strategy play'. Bottas getting the fastest lap instead of Hamilton is a good thing.

Perez was in the race enough that any safety in the last half would have flipped the whole race around. It was a reasonable gamble considering his strengths and the race at that time. I think they will be happy with Perez performance today. He is trending in the right direction.

I don't think Red Bull really care if Bottas gets 3rd or 8th, it's about taking points away from Hamilton any way they can.

Pany
Pany

Is the only hope we have to finally see a real f1 season for championships. Redbul may recover power deficit with next engide
Sayeman wrote:
03 May 2021, 00:36
after all the hype looks like we are back to square one with the Honda engine. does anyone know if Honda has turned the power down because of reliability reasons?

McMika98
McMika98

Sayeman wrote:
03 May 2021, 00:36
It's pretty clear HONDA wanted to make a statement in race 1 and pushed the engine to max whilst the competition were running conservative. There isn't much in terms of power now, tyres is the main difference maker. Merc seems to love the harder compound but can't switch the softer ones. RedBull car is faster than the Merc in general but Hamilton is showing why he is the GOAT, even Max is crumbling under the expectation as now he has more to lose. Amazing what pressure does to a driver, he is making far too many mistakes in both quali and races with a car that was the fastest in the races so far.

Jaisonas
Jaisonas

godlameroso wrote:
They way i see it, Honda has a slight advantage in one lap situation like qualifying, but they lose in race trim big time with clipping issues, especially in Portimao.

El Scorchio

nzjrs wrote:
03 May 2021, 06:39
godlameroso wrote:

Not sure I agree - the Perez fastest lap play resulted in Hamilton not getting it, and tbh Verstappen should have really got it, so I would put that in the 'good strategy play'. Bottas getting the fastest lap instead of Hamilton is a good thing.

Perez was in the race enough that any safety in the last half would have flipped the whole race around. It was a reasonable gamble considering his strengths and the race at that time. I think they will be happy with Perez performance today. He is trending in the right direction.

I don't think Red Bull really care if Bottas gets 3rd or 8th, it's about taking points away from Hamilton any way they can.
Yeah, as discussed on the race thread it was a very clever little piece of strategy which spiced up the last few laps. Red Bull timed it beautifully, knowing that a domino effect would let Verstappen but not Hamilton have a crack at fastest lap due to the amount of laps remaining. Mercedes fell right into it by bringing Bottas in. It’s a shame really that the clever thinking didn’t pay off but it’s one to watch out for during the remainder of the season.