2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 07 - 09

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
MtthsMlw

2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 07 - 09

Tire selection by Pirelli
2x hard - 3x medium - 8x soft (same for every race)

2020 Results
Qualifying

Race

2020 Pole Lap

2020 Race Highlights

LHamilton

Re: 2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 07 - 09

Interesting race for multiple reasons. Firstly, we have a new shaped corner(s). Corners 10-11. Seems like it will be a much faster corner, and with gravel not to far off, I forsee people ending up in the gravel at some point during the weekend. It just might be people who struggle with their car, or are under pressure of getting a lap in (i.e quali). Let's also see what it does to overtaking. Very little is my suspicion.

Despite the new corners, this is a track that most of the driver knows very, very well and I expect that people are closer to their respective new teammates. This track should give the drivers better references of what the car does since the amount of laps they've done here especially during testing periods in the years gone by. So this is the point where drivers have to raise their game.

There might be some chances of showers during the race. Take this with a pinch of salt since weather this far out is not that trustworthy and I just did some quick research, meaning that the source from which I got it from might be questionable in it's accuracy.

PlatinumZealot

Will be a snoozefest. Looking forward to pjtstop tactics. Is this track an undercut or overcut track? And whats the safety car occurence like?
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

mkay

PlatinumZealot wrote: ↑
03 May 2021, 18:13
Will be a snoozefest. Looking forward to pjtstop tactics. Is this track an undercut or overcut track? And whats the safety car occurence like?
Undercut is quite powerful around here.

Sevach

Given what i've been seeing i think if Verstappen leads into t1 there's a race, if Mercedes leads into t1 there isn't.

PlatinumZealot

Thats true somewhat. Mercedes has tuned their gearbox for a quicker third gear acceleration. It will be hard to DRS them out of the last corner.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Mattchu

Thanks again MtthsMlw, you`re like the Red Bull pit crew when it comes to posting these...

LM10

Sevach wrote: ↑
03 May 2021, 18:43
Given what i've been seeing i think if Verstappen leads into t1 there's a race, if Mercedes leads into t1 there isn't.
It's hard to predict at the moment. I've had the same impression as well after Portimao, but as per AMuS there were some factors which need to be taken in account. Per AMuS, Mercedes engineers told that their performance in the last race was not due to the track layout, but had more to do with the less abrasive track which helped them in terms of rear tyre heat. At the same time the stronger wind seemed to have affected RedBull and their upgrades didn't work in Portimao. They expect them to show their true potential in Barcelona.
I also think that we'll get a pretty clear picture in Spain. Portimao is a weird track and was so last year as well. Barcelona, however, is the best known circuit.
Let's see if Mercedes will bring an upgrade package to the next race as they usually do there.

As for Ferrari, I think that they should be better this time. The track should suit them more in comparison to McLaren and the new floor which seems to work pretty well will be on the cars.

Pyrone89

LM10 wrote: ↑
03 May 2021, 22:00
Sevach wrote: ↑
03 May 2021, 18:43
It's hard to predict at the moment. I've had the same impression as well after Portimao, but as per AMuS there were some factors which need to be taken in account. Per AMuS, Mercedes engineers told that their performance in the last race was not due to the track layout, but had more to do with the less abrasive track which helped them in terms of rear tyre heat. At the same time the stronger wind seemed to have affected RedBull and their upgrades didn't work in Portimao. They expect them to show their true potential in Barcelona.
I also think that we'll get a pretty clear picture in Spain. Portimao is a weird track and was so last year as well. Barcelona, however, is the best known circuit.
Let's see if Mercedes will bring an upgrade package to the next race as they usually do there.

As for Ferrari, I think that they should be better this time. The track should suit them more in comparison to McLaren and the new floor which seems to work pretty well will be on the cars.
The not working upgrades for RBR are the true issue here. It takes alot of development time to make these and if they don't work and Mercedes' do then you are basically going backwards. In such a tight championship that could be game over.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

NathanOlder

1000 fans allowed to attend the Grand prix this weekend. Seems a bit silly, only 1000. But its better than nothing I guess.
I mean nearly 5km of race track outside and only 1000 fans.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Scorpaguy

I wrote this for Portimao...
90% chance of a Ham win, 9% for Max...same as always. ... Looking forward to the Maz hijinks...
...I am sticking with this prediction until further notice (which I assume will at least be in 2022). However, not loving the Maz stuff anymore...as that move could have had implications for the WDC and WCC.

It is very early in the season...but a repeat of 2020 (just with smaller margins) has good odds right now...Ham and Toto seem to be clicking.

Wouter

Pyrone89 wrote: ↑
03 May 2021, 22:29
The not working upgrades for RBR are the true issue here. It takes alot of development time to make these and if they don't work and Mercedes' do then you are basically going backwards. In such a tight championship that could be game over.
The updates did not work properly due to the slippery asphalt.
Max has said that will be very different on the tarmac in Barcelona, ​​so I am assuming the updates will do their job.
The Power of Dreams!

mclaren111

NathanOlder wrote: ↑
03 May 2021, 23:24
1000 fans allowed to attend the Grand prix this weekend. Seems a bit silly, only 1000. But its better than nothing I guess.

Yip... Sadly, the Loss of Common Sense is Worldwide...

Just_a_fan

It's not 1000 fans spread over 5 km, it's 1000 fans spread over a few grandstands. If you look at the seating in grandstands, you need to have most of them empty to maintain a 2m separation between individuals. The fill rate is miniscule - 3 or 4 empty seats between people, probably 3 rows between people too. So you only get about 1 in 10 seats occupied (probably even fewer than that). I would have thought allowing more in if they are vaccinated and negative tested wouldn't hurt. But I'm not making the decisions. :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

NathanOlder

Just_a_fan wrote: ↑
04 May 2021, 11:01
It's not 1000 fans spread over 5 km, it's 1000 fans spread over a few grandstands. If you look at the seating in grandstands, you need to have most of them empty to maintain a 2m separation between individuals. The fill rate is miniscule - 3 or 4 empty seats between people, probably 3 rows between people too. So you only get about 1 in 10 seats occupied (probably even fewer than that). I would have thought allowing more in if they are vaccinated and negative tested wouldn't hurt. But I'm not making the decisions. :lol:
Yeah so with all that 5km room, why can't the Spanish authorities allow more ? even if its each stand at 25% capacity ? either way, I guess its progress, the fans are slowly returning [-o<
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC