2021 Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2021 Ferrari F1 Team

Its a good sign that he lead Charles for half of the race but Carlos needs to be more patient with the tyres. He is a fast learner though so looking forward to the next race.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Schippke

Had it not been for the safety car, it would've been interesting to see if Sainz could've stayed ahead of Norris in the first stint of the race... but the restart didn't go so well clearly. I think the mistake was made when they switched Carlos to Mediums, after seeing Charles was seemingly struggling a bit on them.

In saying that, Norris went from Softs to Mediums and was still pulling away from Charles on Hards by races end... so clearly it mightn't have been that bad of a strategy. Could be a mix of Carlos still learning how to balance pace/tyre wear in the SF21... or maybe the car wasn't getting the most out of the Mediums (or taking too much out of them?).

A lot of people have been complaining about the team orders move... can't see the problem honestly; Maximise the potential of the faster team car on track, which is exactly what they did.

I do think that McLaren (with Norris at this stage) definitely seem to have the pace on Ferrari. In saying that, Barcelona will be a good venue to see a bit of performance on a more known track, despite not testing there this year... lets see how we go there.

RaceFan1

Was there ever a broadcast replay of Norris' overtake of Sainz? Was it outside track limits?

Emag

RaceFan1 wrote:
03 May 2021, 16:57
Was there ever a broadcast replay of Norris' overtake of Sainz? Was it outside track limits?
It was barely an overtake. Sainz had to run wide in T2 to avoid Perez and Norris just went through in the inside.

SmallSoldier

Schippke wrote:Had it not been for the safety car, it would've been interesting to see if Sainz could've stayed ahead of Norris in the first stint of the race... but the restart didn't go so well clearly. I think the mistake was made when they switched Carlos to Mediums, after seeing Charles was seemingly struggling a bit on them.

In saying that, Norris went from Softs to Mediums and was still pulling away from Charles on Hards by races end... so clearly it mightn't have been that bad of a strategy. Could be a mix of Carlos still learning how to balance pace/tyre wear in the SF21... or maybe the car wasn't getting the most out of the Mediums (or taking too much out of them?).

A lot of people have been complaining about the team orders move... can't see the problem honestly; Maximise the potential of the faster team car on track, which is exactly what they did.

I do think that McLaren (with Norris at this stage) definitely seem to have the pace on Ferrari. In saying that, Barcelona will be a good venue to see a bit of performance on a more known track, despite not testing there this year... lets see how we go there.
Carlos had a few things going against him with his Medium tire stint:

A) As acknowledged by Leclerc, their setup wasn’t very kind on the medium tire.
B) Trying to do the undercut, he probably pushed a bit too hard on the out lap, in addition and as stated by Norris, Carlos was pushing very hard after Lando’s Pit Stop which worn down both cars tires a bit too much
C) Carlos spent much of his second stint in dirty air compared to Lando, who for the most part was in clean air, this will also have had a negative effect on Carlos tires.
D) The undercut attempt simply was done too early, at that point in the race, both Carlos and Norris times were very decent compared to the guys behind them on Mediums and could have easily extended that stint for a few more laps, making their stint on Mediums a faster paced one (didn’t Stroll managed like 34 laps on Softs?)... Ferrari was a bit over ambitious, not only trying to pull the undercut very early on the stint, but also going with to Mediums for what ended up been a very long second stint.

It was interesting that the better strategy was to go for Hards on the second stint compared to Mediums (for the ones starting on Softs) compared to what Pirelli suggested... I thought both Mclaren and Sainz got it wrong

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Macklaren

I think the difference was that the Mediums grained much more quickly on Sunday than Friday or Saturday for some reason. Many drivers said that post race

JPower

Macklaren wrote:
04 May 2021, 02:52
I think the difference was that the Mediums grained much more quickly on Sunday than Friday or Saturday for some reason. Many drivers said that post race
Correct.

Inaki Rueda(chief strategist) said that his strategy was to squeeze Lando and McLaren with two strategies, putting Sainz on the mediums and Leclerc on the hards. His hope was for Carlos to catch and pass Lando on the undercut and then have Charles pass Lando as the mediums died later on in the race.

With hindsight, he said he still would've pitted on lap 20 and put Carlos on the hards but left Charles out on the softs for a longer period before switching to the hards. #-o

LM10

https://www.corriere.it/sport/formula-1 ... bb8d.shtml

This article says that the new floor will not be used in Barcelona. It was tested in Portimao to evaluate correlation. It will be put on the car as part of a bigger upgrade package later.

Pany

Stupid strategy, good to differentiate, but logic say hard to carlos.
LM10 wrote:
05 May 2021, 09:25

This article says that the new floor will not be used in Barcelona. It was tested in Portimao to evaluate correlation. It will be put on the car as part of a bigger upgrade package later.

LM10

Pany wrote:
05 May 2021, 11:08
Stupid strategy, good to differentiate, but logic say hard to carlos.
LM10 wrote:

I don't know what you mean. If it's a part of an upgrade package and they want to test the floor for correlation reasons or whatever, then what's stupid about that?

wowgr8

He's talking about the strategy

LM10

wowgr8 wrote:
05 May 2021, 16:24
He's talking about the strategy
Which strategy? Racing? It was an answer to my post. That's why I assumed he meant the strategy of testing the floor.

Ringleheim

LM10 wrote:

I'm surprised they are screwing around with stuff like this, to be honest. This season was over before it began; route the energy, time, effort into next year's car!

Sevach

Ringleheim wrote:
05 May 2021, 20:05
LM10 wrote:

I'm surprised they are screwing around with stuff like this, to be honest. This season was over before it began; route the energy, time, effort into next year's car!
It doesn't look cost effective when they had a new floor in Imola, a test floor in Portugal and will have whatever in the future.

LM10

These most probably are upgrades which have been in the pipeline right at the beginning of the season. They’ll put them on the car in the next couple of races and then I’m pretty sure that the development of the SF21 will stop completely.