2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
cheeRS

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

214270 wrote:
06 May 2021, 12:29
It’s interesting that these hirings all seem to be promotions rather than moving across for more money. I think that element is unusual, no?
Who's to say it's not both? Typically in the same industry, pay is comparable and these 5 all seem to get promotions that likely pay more, too - at least IMO.

If you listen to Toto Wolff's Beyond the Grid or High Performance Podcast interview (can't remember which one), they ask him how they keep their best employees from being poached and having the talent structure fall apart. Essentially, he says that he's constantly trying to give people more responsibility, more input, and more growth. Basically the same thing that RBR has offered them. Perhaps it was a better offer, or perhaps these 5 aren't the best of the best, and thus never got offered these promotions from Merc.
🤭 wrote:
“Being the 'most successful statistically' has nothing to do with being the 'best'. neither when it comes to the cars, nor when it comes to the drivers” 😂

dans79

I'm not sure where he got the 900 number, but This is what Wolff had to say about HPP staff going to Red Bull.

https://www.racefans.net/2021/05/07/red ... -15-wolff/
“It’s pretty obvious that if you want to set up an engine factory in the UK, there’s only one and that’s us,” he told Sky. “We have 900 or so employees there. And if you’re fishing out 15 of these or so, that’s that’s pretty normal.

“But they went mainly after manufacturing staff so it’s not really [for] performance. I guess they want to build up the company. But credit to the project, it’s a Mount Everest to climb and I’d like to have a fight with Red Bull power units.”

“I think they have approached 100 people or and they got 15, maybe,” he added.

Wolff did not deny he offered to double the salaries of his staff in order to encourage them to stay, as claimed by Red Bull motorsport Helmut Marko. But he suggested Red Bull’s offers may have gone beyond that.

“Doubling the salaries is one thing but if you triple them, at a certain stage, you’re not going to compete anymore, even for loyal people.

“But it is what it is. I respect everybody that wants to defend his business or build their business and retaliation time has not yet come.”
197 104 103 7

zibby43

Interesting that the acquisitions were on the manufacturing side, not the performance side.

dans79

zibby43 wrote:
07 May 2021, 17:15
Interesting that the acquisitions were on the manufacturing side, not the performance side.
They have no expertise in building engines, and I'm betting most of the performance people will be the current Honda people that choose to stay. Not to mention March 1st 2022 is the deadline to have your frozen PU spec in place, and those are probably well underway already!
197 104 103 7

toraabe

Amg hpp is at lesst a good mixture of people from Ilmor Renault and Cosworth.

NathanOlder

dans79 wrote:
07 May 2021, 16:47
I'm not sure where he got the 900 number, but This is what Wolff had to say about HPP staff going to Red Bull.

“It’s pretty obvious that if you want to set up an engine factory in the UK, there’s only one and that’s us,” he told Sky. “We have 900 or so employees there. And if you’re fishing out 15 of these or so, that’s that’s pretty normal.

“But they went mainly after manufacturing staff so it’s not really [for] performance. I guess they want to build up the company. But credit to the project, it’s a Mount Everest to climb and I’d like to have a fight with Red Bull power units.”

Wolff did not deny he offered to double the salaries of his staff in order to encourage them to stay, as claimed by Red Bull motorsport Helmut Marko. But he suggested Red Bull’s offers may have gone beyond that.

“Doubling the salaries is one thing but if you triple them, at a certain stage, you’re not going to compete anymore, even for loyal people.

“But it is what it is. I respect everybody that wants to defend his business or build their business and retaliation time has not yet come.”
Retaliation time..... stealing Max? Max and George together if/when Lewis goes.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

dans79

NathanOlder wrote:
07 May 2021, 22:44
dans79 wrote:

I was thinking maybe something more general.
197 104 103 7

Jolle

dans79 wrote:
08 May 2021, 00:02
NathanOlder wrote:
07 May 2021, 22:44
dans79 wrote:

I was thinking maybe something more general.
Retaliation in the competitive sense and boost up development. Not in the sense of being nasty etc. “Do the talking on the track” way.

PlatinumZealot

zibby43 wrote:
07 May 2021, 17:15
They have a plant to build so they need to know what machines to buy I guess.
Whichever interested manufacturer like Porsche or VW more likely will be doing the performance architecture.

Anyways. It wont affect Mercedes much.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

McMika98

Merc doing an excellent job of cost cap reduction by passing the bill to Red bull. They are in prime position to dominate again whilst the competition is scrambling.

nzjrs

McMika98 wrote:
08 May 2021, 06:49
Merc doing an excellent job of cost cap reduction by passing the bill to Red bull. They are in prime position to dominate again whilst the competition is scrambling.
I've missed you.

adrianjordan

nzjrs wrote:
08 May 2021, 09:15
McMika98 wrote:
I've missed you.
I think they might be referring to the need to downsize the workforce at Merc to meet the reducing budget caps.

The implication being Merc has let these people go to RBR to help with that downsizing but also "fought" to keep them meaning RBR had to pay more for them - eating into their budget.

Though are engine departments within the cap yet?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Jolle

adrianjordan wrote:
08 May 2021, 11:25
nzjrs wrote:
08 May 2021, 09:15
McMika98 wrote:
I've missed you.
I think they might be referring to the need to downsize the workforce at Merc to meet the reducing budget caps.

The implication being Merc has let these people go to RBR to help with that downsizing but also "fought" to keep them meaning RBR had to pay more for them - eating into their budget.

Though are engine departments within the cap yet?
Engine departments are outside the cap, what you pay your engine department for the lease of the engines isn’t.
So, Ferrari, HPP, Renault and RedBull engines have to send a bill to their teams.

dans79

He didn't specifically call out that the change was to help in the race tomorrow, but he hinted at it.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/hamil ... e/6505006/
"FP3 was looking really good, I think we've been strong all weekend," Hamilton said.

"I made some changes, and I had a bit of anxiety about the changes that we were potentially going to make for qualifying. We always try to make the car better, but it's a bit of a gamble because you've also got to keep the race in mind also.
Hamilton explained that the set-up he opted for left the Mercedes W12 car understeering into corners and feeling "very lazy".

"[It] wouldn't turn around the corner the way that I wanted," Hamilton said. "So you're waiting and waiting and waiting.

"I was making small adjustments to try, within what we are able to change in order to get the car to turn."
197 104 103 7

PlatinumZealot

Congratulations on one hundred pole positions...TDG, Big BOSS.. LewGod.. Octo-God, GOAT, Sir LH, or whatever it is people want to call him. A truly monumental achievement. I had a strong feeling from Lewis early exploits in qualifying that he would break the record at some time in his career, but to reach 100, I still somehow cannot fully process it. Maybe when he retires might we trully appreciate how legendary his story is.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏